Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

InstantAction Closed

A November Update on the Torque Community Forums has word from Eric Preisz that InstantAction "will be winding down operations," and indeed the web-based gaming service is already shut down (thanks Gamasutra). Word is:

Today, InstantAction informed employees that it will be winding down operations. While we are shutting down the InstantAction.com website and Instant Jam game, Torquepowered.com will continue to operate while InstantAction explores opportunities with potential buyers for Torque. We thank all of our past and current customers for their support.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 14, 2010, 03:38 Beaner

Whether you liked or dislikes their so called spritual successor to tribes they had other unique games like rocketball that a lot of people seemed to like. The problem is that they kept nerfing everything down regardless of what people would say. Also their choice of instant jam as their big game for IA was kind of dumb. I just dont think they had a high calibre team of people to run the company effectively. People expect a lot of polish out of games these days and their online games weren't very polished. The Tribes reheash was watered down even more then Tribes Vengeance which I'm sure turned off a lot of the exisiting fanbase anyway. Then you add things like the oncoming free firefall game, Onlive gaming services. Some tough competiiton.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 13, 2010, 17:54 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 19:41:
End of an era. Very sorry to see them go. Unity killed them.

Who was the asshole who they hired as I think CEO? He had such a hardon for the unity shit he put the rest of the company's efforts on hold just to concentrate on that crap.

So you know how playtribes was supposed to come out? Yeah, it didn't because this guy thought we wanted to play Monkey Island in a browser window for 20 bucks.

I ended up digging up a blog from the 27th, and it appears that after Penny Arcade pulled out of their deal with IA, they said this:

There are some exiting things happening around here, but we're keeping things under wraps until they're more solid.

If by "exciting" they meant "You're not going to know where your next paycheck is coming from", then they were dead on. It strikes me that management at IA was trying to sink the company intentionally. The same blog also mentions that the Tribes IP was sold secretly, without the employees even knowing. However, that's rumor, so I can't confirm that.

11. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 12, 2010, 19:41 [VG]Reagle

End of an era. Very sorry to see them go. Unity killed them.  

I am much better now.

10. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 12, 2010, 09:55 K

Instant Action was at PAX this year, but while the map of the show floor said Instant Action the actual booth had no Instant Action branding whatsoever. Their main focus was Instant Jam, a Facebook integrated guitar game. While the game was cool, it was just guitar hero connected to Facebook. Nothing special. They could have done some amazing things with it, but I think they got over their head.

They should have stuck with their old format, they might have lasted longer.

9. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 12, 2010, 04:43 mongrol

A shame to see but not surprising. Kudos to them though for having a go at it though They saved Torque from the "lost engine drawer" at Sierra and helped promote hobby developers. The world has moved fast since they started and in a slightly different direction.  
The Loose Bandit

8. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 12, 2010, 00:17 Frijoles

I was never able to get the games to work. Would just sit there trying to connect. I finally gave up.  

7. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 23:07 Beamer

all these companies closing down that i've never even heard of.

This is GarageGames. They renamed themselves a short ways back.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 22:42 Trooper119

They voluntarily shut down every source of income they had on that site in order to develop some new technology of some sort instead of running it all simultaneously in order to guarantee some sort of income while they developed whatever they were trying to do.

Stupid business decision means the company goes under, pity those games had to go with it.

5. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 22:26 D_K_night

all these companies closing down that i've never even heard of.

Maybe that's why they're...closing down...bad joke

4. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 21:54 theyarecomingforyou

Can't say I'm surprised. I tried out their Tribes-like game a while back (a few years now?) but I don't like playing games from browsers and it was too simplified.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 20:34 Beamer

Unity kind of killed Torque, with UDK being a bit of a nail in that coffin.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 20:32 space captain

yeh Legions was actually pretty fuckin fun

they upgraded the jetting/skiing a bit, it was more 3d.. also it was insanely fast

had no inventory/deployables, but otherwise the core gameplay was tribes 1 style

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 20:07 Overon

They had this tribes like game on there. It had jet-packs and you could ski.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo