Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

K2 Buys APB?

K2 Network has acquired the APB: All Points Bulletin intellectual property from defunct studio Realtime Worlds, reports GamesIndustry.biz (registration required), where they say the operator of free-to-play MMOG service GamersFirst paid a reported 1.5 million for the game, which may be up and running again before the end of the year. They have not confirmed this with K2, but seem pretty convinced the story is accurate, saying to expect an official announcement in the coming week. They also say to expect the game to use a free-to-play business model when it relaunches.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 12, 2010, 18:14 entr0py

The game did have some potential, but it felt half finished, along with a raft of bad design and business model choices. My hope is that K2 takes this as a starting point to redevelop large parts of the game, and make it much closer to what players wanted in the first place. With the right choices and enough development effort, they could turn this into something profitable.

The worst decision would be just to re-release it with some minor business model changes. Even a F2P game needs to be fun enough to suck people in. Take Battlefield Heroes, no amount of free or paid in-game items could ever make that game worth playing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 12, 2010, 00:09 Ozmodan

If any of you were thinking of playing this when it is restarted, I would think again. The big problem the game had was all the cheating going on and if you are not familiar with K2, they probably have some of the worst support in the business.

i.e. this reissue of the game will be inundated with exploiters galore and little if nothing will be done to them.

I guess if you are a cheater, you can have fun with this game otherwise I would not touch it.

12. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 18:39 The Half Elf

kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 11:09:
which may be up and running again before the end of the year.

K2 didn't buy the IP to reactive it. They bought their technology in a salvage sale to make games. Why spend tens of millions of dollars to develop an engine when you can buy one for 1.5M pounds (2.4M $US)?

It's just the Unreal Engine, and not the first for a 'MMO'.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 15:22 Tanto Edge

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA *GAAAAASSSSSSP* HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA *GAAAAAASSSSSP* HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA *BLARG* /DEAD  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

10. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 13:51 Trevellian

K2 didn't buy the IP to reactive it. They bought their technology in a salvage sale to make games. Why spend tens of millions of dollars to develop an engine when you can buy one for 1.5M pounds (2.4M $US)?

Because they'd still need permission from Epic? APB ran on a modified UT3 engine, which Epic worked along side RTW with to get it working for the mmo. In fact from what I remember Epic was actually really excited in seeing APB get released so people could see a UT3 Engine MMO.

Either way, the game wasn't terrible. It just needed a little love. If it's F2P and they plan on fixing the bugs, I may go back and play it occasionally.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

9. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 13:51 Kxmode

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 11:38:

What makes you say this, was there even any special technology behind the game, from what I played I did not see anything particularly innovative? I believe it was a modified unreal engine as well, so they wouldn't even be getting their own custom engine. If it was a full fledged MMO engine I could see that kind of investment paying off, but not for what it is currently. I realize it cost way more than that too make, but that doesn't give it value.

Even with licensed engines companies need to extensively modify to make the engine do what they want. That's what Bethesda did with the Gamebryo engine for Oblivion and Fallout. Valve also did this using the Quake engine for Half-Life. Why would a company license an engine and then spend millions of dollars to modify, when they can simply buy years of development for a fraction of the cost via an IP salvage sale? I think K2 got a great deal.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2010, 14:04.

8. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 11:38 fujiJuice

What makes you say this, was there even any special technology behind the game, from what I played I did not see anything particularly innovative? I believe it was a modified unreal engine as well, so they wouldn't even be getting their own custom engine. If it was a full fledged MMO engine I could see that kind of investment paying off, but not for what it is currently. I realize it cost way more than that too make, but that doesn't give it value.

7. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 11:10 fujiJuice

As I am sure you will be able to buy extra stuff with real money, they should give people who bought the game $50 in credit.  

6. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 11:09 Kxmode

5. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:56 Steele Johnson

This is good news (if true). This game has so much potential. Hopefully they'll have a forum for game design input.  

4. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:52 Trooper119

I think as f2p this game has huge potential. But we've already pointed out what may be a core issue. Will people be to ticked off at the game due to past experiences to play it again.  

3. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:51 |oR|jonvall

Awesome news! This was a great game that suffered from.....early/buggy release and a REALLY shitty subscription scheme.

It seemed as if the team was very dedicated but the leadership didn't address those bugs in the development and testing phase....even though the testers told them about the bugs and hit box issues.

I started playing the game about a week or 2 before they pulled the plug...it was fun but really needed work...hopefully K2 will fix all that stuff....excited to play this game for free!

2. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:41 kimbambaman

F2P seems like an appropriate model for this game.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

1. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:32 Optimaximal

I suppose the question is whether burned first-time-round members get massive perks for their purchase or not.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo