Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer

The Battlefield Heroes Website now offers a new Battlefield Play4Free FAQ to fill in some of our knowledge gaps about EA's just-announced free-to-play online military first-person shooter. There's also a new trailer from the game which features commentary from EA's Bed Cousins along with some ShakyCam footage shot off a monitor (thanks Ant via Planet Battlefield). The FAQ offers a list of the features Battlefield Play4Free is taking from previous games, prompting them to refer to this as "the best of Battlefield." Here's that list:

• 32 players!
  • New updated PC engine with HD console quality graphics – high resolution artwork and post-processing effects
  • The weapons and equipment of Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • The factions and classes of Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • Maps are updates of classic BF2 maps like Strike at Karkand
  • Vehicles are familiar BF2 classics (Yes, that includes helicopters and jets!)
  • The leveling, abilities and deep visual and gameplay customization of Battlefield Heroes
  • Free-to-play, quick to download and low system specs like Battlefield Heroes

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 17:45 xXBatmanXx

I actually can't get BF2 to run anymore for some reason...it just CTD after the game screen loads no matter what I do....must be some weird hardware thing I have..who knows. To bad too - I spent a hell of a lot of time in that game and had a blast over the years.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 15:57 PHJF

I totally missed BF2. My computer exploded into a cataclysmic ball of flames shortly before it was released. I picked it up much later on the cheap, but never got into it. I sure as hell got a lot of time out of 1942, Desert Combat, and even Vietnam, though. I'd be interested in Bad Company were it not for the whole DRM thing.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 07:40 TangledThorns

32 players... that's progress. What year is this, 2001?!?  

30. Goofy Nov 8, 2010, 06:39 Dunkirk

I tried to like Heroes; I played many hours, but I just can't get comfortable playing a game where someone can out-spend me to win. On the one hand, I'm glad that there's a place in this world for every type of game concept. On the other hand, I'm frustrated that this sort of thing draws people away from BF2/2142 servers to a game that will frustrate me unless I'm spending lots of time and lots of money to be competitive. I can always jump back on the others, and pick up right where I left off. The problem is that there are fewer and fewer servers that are playing a "real" game of BF2 or 2142, and I don't think this is going to help matters.

And, yeah, agreeing with the above, I generally prefer the _game_ of 2142, but there's usually more _going on_ in the BF2 servers.

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

29. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 03:28 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 03:01:
Jackplug wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 02:06:
how can anyone moan, its free and I bet you all will try it even though you will say that you wont!!

Lots of free things I don't try. If they are saying its like Battlefield heros, why should I bother? I tried that ONCE in beta, and never again. For instance I've never tried farmville, and its "free" like this.
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 20:13:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 17:11:
So i finally picked up BF2142 for 12.00 new from gogamer.

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

If Black Ops doesn't deliver.. I might pick up 2142
Good point. I never got BF2 or 2142, I enjoyed 1942 though, and that one mod, desert combat I think it was called?

Anyway, maybe I should pick up 2142 now that its cheap.

Edit:
Wtf? Its not availible to buy on steam, only BFBC2 and BF2 is?

Which is why I bought it online for super cheap.
Amazon has it for sub 15.00 USD.
MAKE SURE TO BUY A NEW SEALED COPY.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

28. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 03:01 Dev

Jackplug wrote on Nov 8, 2010, 02:06:
how can anyone moan, its free and I bet you all will try it even though you will say that you wont!!

Lots of free things I don't try. If they are saying its like Battlefield heros, why should I bother? I tried that ONCE in beta, and never again. For instance I've never tried farmville, and its "free" like this.
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 20:13:

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

Good point. I never got BF2 or 2142, I enjoyed 1942 though, and that one mod, desert combat I think it was called?

Anyway, maybe I should pick up 2142 now that its cheap.

Edit:
Wtf? Its not availible to buy on steam, only BFBC2 and BF2 is?

27. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 8, 2010, 02:06 Jackplug

26. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:58 zirik

Zardoz5 wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 18:31:
Nice! 2142 is fantastic IMO. Have you tried Titan mode, its great. Conquest for about 1/2 the round, then Conquest/Objective hybrid for the 2nd half of the round. To me this is the deepest BF mode to date and I hope BF3 adds something interesting like it. I've been in so many close games, come back games, etc. Playing BC2 then going back and playing 2142 reminds you of what a "true" BF game should be IMO

totally agree that titan mode is lots of fun. the only thing that killed it for a lot of players is the lag. when the fight is taken to the titan's indoor space the server lags. did they fix it along with the server crash every other round?

25. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:56 zirik

Bed Cousins is his name and incest is his reputation. sorry, cant help it.  

24. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:50 Kxmode

Roman wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 16:37:
WAAAHHHHH My FREE GAME only supports 32 players WAAHHHHHH

Gamers are dumb but PC gamers are the worst.

There was a game called Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising by Novalogic who's servers on Novaworld had the potential to hold up to 150 players. I remember playing a few maps with this many players. It was insanely nuts!

23. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:20 Fion

New updated PC engine with HD console quality graphics

Is that code for;

'yea we know the graphics suck. Deal with it, it's a free game after all'

.. or is it just me?

22. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:15 Overon

I played Battlefield Play4Free before. It was called Battlefield 2. Also I wonder if this version will have the red name tag bug and the dolphin diving. I'm pretty sure they managed to get the dolphin diving under control but I'm not sure they ever fixed the red name tag bug despite a few patches where they claimed they fixed it.

The textures look low res in some the videos, like they would in a game from 2005.

21. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 20:13 ColoradoHoudini

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

20. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 19:43 PHJF

I like the new "HD Paint" at Home Depot.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 19:31 Icewind

Surf wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 17:11:
"And using the "HD" marketing gimmick term for a PC release? Ugh."

It's also done on Atari's games. Even the Witcher had a big "HD GAMING" intro during the load up screens. It always made me laugh, since that game was certainly not looked upon favorably for its graphics.

It's a by product of the dumbing down of the gaming hobby. Most of the teens and trailer park twenty-somethings who haven't been gaming for 20+ years think "HD" sounds cool and means the games will make them look cool to their friends.

HD in the 21st century is sort of like how the phrase "Hi-fi" was in the 20th century. It really doesn't mean anything and can be applied to any product to make it sound *awesome*.

18. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 18:31 Zardoz5

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

Nice! 2142 is fantastic IMO. Have you tried Titan mode, its great. Conquest for about 1/2 the round, then Conquest/Objective hybrid for the 2nd half of the round. To me this is the deepest BF mode to date and I hope BF3 adds something interesting like it. I've been in so many close games, come back games, etc. Playing BC2 then going back and playing 2142 reminds you of what a "true" BF game should be IMO

17. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 17:45 Beamer

Who says video games are a boys-only club!  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 17:32 [VG]Reagle

More proof of female marketing cunts that have NO idea what they are talking about at their jobs. I worked at so many companies that were 85-100% female for Sales & Marketing. Some of the dumbest whores of all time, keeping their jobs due to their looks or who they fuck at the company.
Amen bro, that's the truth.

I am much better now.

15. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 17:15 Hump

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

IMO, 2142 is probably the best balanced and well-rounded out of all the BF games.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 17:11 xXBatmanXx

It supports 64 players.

Had a blast last night.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo