Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales

The Call of Duty: Black Ops Store Locator offers intel on where to find stores where Call of Duty: Black Ops will be on sale at 12:01 am on Tuesday, November 9, when the military shooter sequel is first officially available. This is not quite as helpful as it seems at first, as there's a footnote saying: "This list may not represent all participating stores. For stores listed here, please call to verify participation." Activision also announces a random bonus, saying: "Also, the first 50 attendees at one of the 2,700 24-hour participating Walmart locations will receive an exclusive Call of Duty: Black Ops bandana."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 7, 2010, 05:17 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 05:03:
The only point was that you can go to a midnight release and get the game and they Steam will tell you that you can't play it... that's ironic

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 7, 2010, 05:05 StingingVelvet

fawker wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 01:59:
I loose cd keys more than your Alzheimerian grandmother.. steam is boss

People crave convenience over freedom? WHO KNEW?

26. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 7, 2010, 05:03 StingingVelvet

Elessar wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 19:00:
It's a game, be patient and wait.

If the principal in false advertisement bothers you, I get it. But if you're griping about fairness, you'll have as long as you want to play it after Tuesday. Re-fucking-lax.

Why do people always tell people to relax when they point out something stupid on the internet? The only point was that you can go to a midnight release and get the game and they Steam will tell you that you can't play it... that's ironic, that's stupid, that's annoying, that's whatever. We never had to ask Valve permission to play the game we bought before and even as little as 2 years ago the idea of that pissed people off, but now that have had enough sales to make people complacent I guess.

That doesn't mean I need to relax though, for fuck's sake. Like I said I don't have the game coming until late in the afternoon on Tuesday, so obviously I'm not jonesing like a drug addict to get it three hours earlier. That. Is. Not. The. Point.

25. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 7, 2010, 01:59 fawker

I loose cd keys more than your Alzheimerian grandmother.. steam is boss  

24. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 23:32 xXBatmanXx

hmmmm.....right now it says

his game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 12 hours

It is 1032 PM CST at the moment.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 22:40 Tumbler

Actually the time on Steam shows a noon day release doesn't it?

...the timer currently says 2 days and 13 hours, and it's 7:40 on the west coast atm... I'm guessing that means the game unlocks on November 9, at 8am in the morning...2 days from now would be monday night at this time...then another 12 hours so....yeah....probably best not to wait up for the pc version to unlock I'm thinking.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 20:51 SpectralMeat

There is too much sour cream in this thread, check this out instead, guaranteed to put a smile on your face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDfPVe-S7U&feature=player_embedded

Have your speakers or headphones on !

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 19:00 Elessar

It's a game, be patient and wait.

If the principal in false advertisement bothers you, I get it. But if you're griping about fairness, you'll have as long as you want to play it after Tuesday. Re-fucking-lax.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

20. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 16:14 StingingVelvet

Tumbler wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 15:43:
I doubt it would even work if it wasnt, can u imagine the load on the servers if it wasn't? Many steam games ignore the retail install and reload the entire game...(from what I've read on these forums) so I don't see the whole midnight launch making any sense for pc gamers... I guess if you really want that box which is prob a dvd jewel case.... right? You could prob find something to print in color and buy a jewel case if you really want it...

I buy every game in a box, Steamworks or not, and they all install from the disc so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Some, like Metro 2033 for example, download like a GB of content after the install, but that's rare and still not the same as downloading the whole thing.

As for the box, even a DVD box is worth having for collectors like me. Not really rocket science there.

19. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 15:43 Tumbler

Yes, pre-load is available.

I doubt it would even work if it wasnt, can u imagine the load on the servers if it wasn't? Many steam games ignore the retail install and reload the entire game...(from what I've read on these forums) so I don't see the whole midnight launch making any sense for pc gamers... I guess if you really want that box which is prob a dvd jewel case.... right? You could prob find something to print in color and buy a jewel case if you really want it...

18. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 14:44 xXBatmanXx

Actually the time on Steam shows a noon day release doesn't it?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 14:43 StingingVelvet

Narf2029 wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 11:18:
If you can't play a game at midnight on its release day, tough shit. In one day, who is going to care? Not even you - you will be playing the game. Steam has loads of benefits for use whether you like it or not. If the biggest drawback you face right now is not being able to play a new game at midnight, go back to fucking bed and get ready for work in the morning. Or play something else for a while. Both things the rest of us will just do instead of going into a Steam-bashing rant about how "unfairly" we are treated. Would you like it better if it was midnight by your home timezone? "WHY CAN'T I PLAY MY DUDE IN BRITAIN IS PLAYING RIGHT NOW STEAM SUCKS AGGGG" Oh and as for console players being able to use it right when they get it? Tell that to Kinect users who got theirs a few days early and got locked out of Live.

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble.

I'm sorry, I didn't read anything you said, I just kept getting the image in my head of a loyal puppy rolling over on command.

16. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 12:53 Bucky

Tumbler wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 11:36:
A. You can pay for this game on steam anytime you want. Then you'll be able to pre-load(?) and play it on release date like everyone else.

Yes, pre-load is available. I confess to being a whore and hypocrite and am now eagerly awaiting Tuesday. There's something about the multiplayer in the CoD series that continually drags me back in, no matter how much I may hate other aspects of the various games.

15. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 11:47 Shataan

I have yet to pre buy a game on Steam, that allowed a pre load. Go figure. As for Black Ops, the sp looks interesting. Mp vids , not so interesting.  

14. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 11:36 Tumbler

I think the general theme is, "If you're a PC gamer, these midnight launches are a total waste of your time."

A. You can pay for this game on steam anytime you want. Then you'll be able to pre-load(?) and play it on release date like everyone else.

B. If you're not staying up till 12am-3am to play this game on that first night then you might as well buy it the next morning.

C. You're paying way more for this game than everyone else and yet they can't even let you play the game as soon as those others...maybe you shouldn't be lining up to be treated like shit?

($20 credit for purchasing, then you get to trade it for $35 later? So $55 in discounts on other products....or you could pay $60 and then get $0 in discounts on other products with the pc...totally worth showing up at midnight for...)

13. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 11:29 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 07:47:
none of them about OMG I NEED TO PLAY NOW.

1) If you advertise a midnight launch then the game should work at midnight, PERIOD.

Were you being ironic when you posted that contradiction?

Here's what I suggest... assume that the game comes out at midnight on the 10th, not the 9th. It will soothe your fragile ego when you are safe in the knowledge that you are able to play the game 21 hours early, and not 3 hours late.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 11:18 Narf2029

If you can't play a game at midnight on its release day, tough shit. In one day, who is going to care? Not even you - you will be playing the game. Steam has loads of benefits for use whether you like it or not. If the biggest drawback you face right now is not being able to play a new game at midnight, go back to fucking bed and get ready for work in the morning. Or play something else for a while. Both things the rest of us will just do instead of going into a Steam-bashing rant about how "unfairly" we are treated. Would you like it better if it was midnight by your home timezone? "WHY CAN'T I PLAY MY DUDE IN BRITAIN IS PLAYING RIGHT NOW STEAM SUCKS AGGGG" Oh and as for console players being able to use it right when they get it? Tell that to Kinect users who got theirs a few days early and got locked out of Live.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

11. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 07:47 StingingVelvet

Narf2029 wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 23:06:
Yes, how dare we be robbed of the first couple hours of playing a new game when we could instead be sleeping for work the next morning. It's not like we'll ever get a chance to play it again if we miss that first midnight, since it turns to dust when sunlight gets on it.

I won't be getting it until 2-3pm on Tuesday knowing my UPS delivery average from amazon, that's not the point. There are three points to be made here, none of them about OMG I NEED TO PLAY NOW.

1) If you advertise a midnight launch then the game should work at midnight, PERIOD.

2) If it's release day and I have a legitimate copy there is NO reason I should not be able to play the fucking thing. I had to wait 10 hours after I got Civilization 5 at midnight. Did that kill me? Of course not, I said "oh well" and did something else. That doesn't make it any less bullshit on principle that I have the game on my desk, it's release day, yet I cannot play it.

3) The so-called "acceptable and customer friendly" DRM that is Steam takes away a lot of things we used to be able to do with PC games like, oh I don't know, play them when we get home from the store.

10. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 07:21 LittleMe

spindoctor wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 03:16:
PC gamers have the option to either buy it at midnight and wait a measly 3 hours, or just show up 3 hours later,

Logic fail. Can't buy it at 3am because the midnight launch doesn't last that long. Think of it like this..

You schedule your evening/night around a big midnight launch with some friends. They bring their PC's over and set their machines up. You all head to the store for the midnight launch, buy the game, come home and the game refuses to run due to a bureaucratic timezone error between STEAM HQ and your own timezone. There was no advanced warning and console derps get to play the game without this restriction. So it is upsetting to experience firsthand unless you are a Buddhist monk but in that case you wouldn't be playing it anyway.

Sure, you and your friends can play a different game but that defeats the purpose of planning the night around that specific launch.

And yes, three hours is a significant inconvenience, especially to a paying customer and even more so at midnight because 3am is when the evening is over and people want to go home. Night ruined.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 6, 2010, 03:19 AnointedSword

Honestly guys, why focus on the negative so much? I would hate to be some of you.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo