Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year

IndustryGamers quotes Michael Pachter, Wedbush Morgan Securities hit-and-miss games analyst, who says he expects Activision to announce plans to monetize Call of Duty multiplayer some time in 2011. He says: "We expect Activision to announce plans to monetize multiplayer online some time in 2011, and expect greater visibility into the release schedule throughout the year. When we have greater visibility, we think we will be able to identify positive catalysts, and we fully expect to add Activision back to our Best Ideas List at that time." During the summer Pachter also predicted such a move would happen before the end of this year.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 7, 2010, 11:58 ^Drag0n^

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 23:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 21:04:
How would they monetize it? If they were going to do it, it would be with Black Op's as I don't see Treyarch or what's left of Infinity Ward releasing anything in 2011 except maybe DLC, which is a form of monetizing multiplayer...

There will be a CoD next year.

Gurantee that.

Two words - "Sledgehammer Games."

Yes, there will be a CoD next year.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 23:27 xXBatmanXx

How would they monetize it? If they were going to do it, it would be with Black Op's as I don't see Treyarch or what's left of Infinity Ward releasing anything in 2011 except maybe DLC, which is a form of monetizing multiplayer...

There will be a CoD next year.

Gurantee that.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 16:36 eRe4s3r

True Imo there can never be enough indy games. One of these is going to be awesome (and even i have to admit that minecraft is addicting)  

24. Re: Dunno Nov 6, 2010, 14:06 TurdFergasun

i know this guy is a measly analyst, but i'm starting to think he might be a bit of a therapist too. you know like a double profession, an analrapist if you will.  

23. Dunno Nov 6, 2010, 12:49 Comet

Companies can apply whatever business model they wish into a game. If that works or not, that's another thing. A subscription based COD could work. But what would they give in return for my monthly based support?
I mean. If they want to create a new game based on COD but with MMO type of dynamics perhaps they could convince people to pay a monthly fee. If on the other way they asked people to pay a subscription for a game they just wasted $60 and is almost exactly the same as the last one, where the content is always the same I don't know if that would work.

I love games, but mentally I would find little to no justification to pay a subscription for a game that never changes.

22. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 11:54 psulli

First, this guy talks like a marketing douche. Terms like "positive catalysts" and "greater visibility"... really? Most marketing people laugh at that kind of horse-hockey. Second, Activision should charge to play ... but I also think they should pay the winner of each game.

Like gambling.

21. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 07:32 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 04:47:
Indeed, but then again.. you won't find many people/studios taking ANY chances with AAA fps games as the cost of making them is astronomical.

I'd be more happy if they tried NEW gameplay altogether, FPS and shooters have been done and overdone (although Brink and that other, Metal Storm or whatever, look cute)

Which is why its so AWESOME that games like minecraft can be a success. That market definately isn't tapped out, look at dwarf fortress. Its NOT necessary to spend lots of millions on the graphics to get a decent successful game like that. Its no AAA title, but it didn't take a pile of money to make, with a hundred people working on it so most of what he's pulling in is pure profit.

I mean really, you can look at Sims to see, very few others have bothered to do anything in the same gameplay type as sims, and its been out for ages. I'm surprised almost no one else has tried that kinda stuff. People LIKE the ability to do your own thing in a game framework. Build your own thing, run your own life, have control over something.

20. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 06:05 Goomich

They have 3 studios working on call of duty, and don't forget about Battlefield for Free. They can just take modern warfare and charge people for every map, gun, other stuff, hell, even for bullets.

19. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 04:47 eRe4s3r

Indeed, but then again.. you won't find many people/studios taking ANY chances with AAA fps games as the cost of making them is astronomical.

I'd be more happy if they tried NEW gameplay altogether, FPS and shooters have been done and overdone (although Brink and that other, Metal Storm or whatever, look cute)

18. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 03:45 Jerykk

Can I please have some single player FPS games?

I don't have a problem with multiplayer shooters, I just wish they weren't so painfully generic these days. Pseudorealistic military shooters have been around for about a decade and they really haven't evolved much. I want to see more shooters try new things like Tribes did.

17. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 02:56 bhcompy

Read prior article on Battlefield F2P, see TF2 Mannconomy, etc

16. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 01:34 nin

Pachter: "Monkeys Will Fly From My Asshole Next Year."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 00:53 Icewind

PHJF wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 00:31:
Boys who think "Nintendo" is cool ARE the worst!

The politically correct term is Wii.

You know, like a penis.

14. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 00:31 PHJF

Boys who think "Nintendo" is cool ARE the worst!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 00:02 DangerDog

I don't think Microsoft allows MMO like fees for games to operate outside of xbox live, so unless Activision creates a Call of Duty "Play4Free" game for the PC, this isn't going to happen.

12. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 23:27 Icewind

Dear developers and publishers of FPS games,

Can I please have some single player FPS games? I know multiplayer is the new hotness in FPS, but can you please make some 10-15+ hour long campaigns similar to what we've seen in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 2? I can't really justify paying $50-$60 for a 4 hour long campaign that forces me into monotonous, hack-filled multiplayer with 13 year old boys that think saying the N-word is cool.

Sincerely,

The one guy who is still playing DOOM wads in 2010.

11. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 22:48 Dev

If he woulda said EA, he mighta had something what with that new BF and all.
Makes me think of all the people who say things like:
"this year is the year of the _____!!" "No wait, its THIS year" "no I really mean it its THIS year this time"

10. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 22:29 Paketep

Pachter again?. YAWN.  

9. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 22:17 DS.Victor

Last I heard, Kotick can suck eggs, as any form of additional subscription would violate Xbox Live term of service... in fact, I believe that our favoritist CEO actually was frothing at the mouth over this very topic some months back bemoaning Microsoft's Walled Garden and how that kept BlizzActi from properly monetizing their properties...
Not sure about PSN, or anything else Console, mind.
I do want to wish them heaps of luck in the PC space they've been treating like a left-handed, red-headed stepchild for the last decade and more, though...

Meh. Very low signal-to-noise ratio, here. Time to move along.

8. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 22:06 spindoctor

They have at least 2 (possibly 3) new Call of Duty games in development. Treyarch will be back making a new one in a month or two as well. It's not known what kind of games are being made... there's speculation that they might not necessarily be first person shooters. I've heard everything from 3rd person action/adventure to straight up MMO.

Raven is making DLC for Black Ops already, so that's definitely one of the ways of monetizing the MP.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo