Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Play4Free Announced

EA announces Battlefield Play4Free, a new free-to-play multiplayer shooter to launch in the spring as the new Battlefield game announcement they teased earlier this week. They are currently accepting applications to participate in closed beta testing of the game, which they say will offer 32-player online warfare and the chance to experience the career of a professional soldier. There's also a story on MCV quoting EA's Ben Cousins saying this has a chance to "disrupt" the triple-A console market: "At what point do the hardcore gamers switch over from spending $60 a month on console games to spending that much a month on microtransactions for an online title?" Cousins asked the audience at the London Games Conference. "There's an opportunity in the next two to five years to cause a significant disruption to the traditional triple-A console market. I want someone considering buying a game on a Microsoft console to think 'But these games are free over here'." This teaser trailer offers a glimpse at the game, and here's a bit from its announcement:

Combining the most popular maps from Battlefield 2 with the familiar classes and powerful weapons of Battlefield: Bad CompanyTM 2, players have access to 16 vehicles including the Mil Mi-28 attack helicopter, its nemesis the F35 VTOL jet fighter, the massive Russian T-90 main battle tank, and the hard to catch LSV light strike vehicle. Players progress through the game to learn new combat skills, and earn in-game currency to spend on a massive array of devastating weapons and equipment.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 9, 2010, 08:56 xXBatmanXx

bhcompy wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 02:58:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 21:22:
slightly related: Whatever the next gen consoles are.. they need to be robust enough to support 256 players..and huge expansive environments in cutting edge games.

MAG does this pretty well.

I disagree....you never even see 1/6th of that total of people...it is all compartmentalized....makes you think you are in a huge war when you aren't.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 13:42 justice7

Surf wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 13:15:
The whole gaming industry, spearheaded by EA, is getting fragmented with the obsession of getting money out of everyone. Jesus fucking christ I want the old days back where we bought games and played games, period.

Fuck microtransactions!

Vote with your wallet, dont ever buy them; and support the games/companies that don't do it.

58. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 13:15 Surf

The whole gaming industry, spearheaded by EA, is getting fragmented with the obsession of getting money out of everyone. Jesus fucking christ I want the old days back where we bought games and played games, period.

Fuck microtransactions!

57. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 12:00 bubba ray

You can't buy stuff that will give you an advantage!

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/

So you don't need to.

So that's ok then?

(Bet it isn't)

56. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 11:35 justice7

I am disappointed that EA is milking the shit out of the Battlefield franchise.

Medal of Honor multiplayer is 'technically' a Battlefield game without the name...

Battlefield Heroes was a complete joke. Bad Company 1 and 2 were ways to quickly cash in while they built up the engine for BF3.. (altho i enjoyed BC1 and 2)

This is going to be crapware; toss it next to Battlefield Heroes.

55. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 11:28 zirik

Rain wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 09:13:
Want to drive that tank, $5.
Want to fly that helo, $7.50.
Flying the Jet, only $10.

You have to have your license.

yeah i was wondering about that bit of info. spending 60 a month on games or 60 a month on microtransactions for one game? where do i sign up?! and it doesnt look any better than BF2.

54. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 09:13 Rain

Want to drive that tank, $5.
Want to fly that helo, $7.50.
Flying the Jet, only $10.

You have to have your license.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

53. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 02:58 bhcompy

slightly related: Whatever the next gen consoles are.. they need to be robust enough to support 256 players..and huge expansive environments in cutting edge games.

MAG does this pretty well.

52. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 6, 2010, 02:14 LittleMe

tuddies wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 15:54:
How about adding something to the game other than pay to win?

They have added some content apparently. BC2 weapons/unlocks and some BF heroes stuff.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

51. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 22:20 Ant

Meh. Disappointing.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

50. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 22:09 Dev

Continually seeing 32 players as the normal for cross-platform (I know this isnt one) games is fucking outright annoying. I wish I had all the devs from the FPS world that are doing this bullshit right in front of me so I could change their minds with a tire iron. "thanks for getting us rich and our name in lights PC world, now fuck you guys!"

Surely there's a PC FPS dev out there that still cares and makes good games.. right?

At some point you run into bandwidth limitations for the servers. Ideally you want people with slightly above average internet connections to be able to host a decent game (although they might not be able to host the maximum players the game could support). Plus you run into graphical limitations if the game is going to be cutting edge.

It would be nice to have something more than 32 people though. Especially since its previously been shown that 64 is possible!

49. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 21:22 ColoradoHoudini

Continually seeing 32 players as the normal for cross-platform (I know this isnt one) games is fucking outright annoying. I wish I had all the devs from the FPS world that are doing this bullshit right in front of me so I could change their minds with a tire iron. "thanks for getting us rich and our name in lights PC world, now fuck you guys!"

Surely there's a PC FPS dev out there that still cares and makes good games.. right?

48. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 20:15 Dev

My facebook BF prediction was surprisingly close, and I did that in a semi joking way (as in I was sorta joking but was afraid that EA would do it anyway).  

47. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 20:00 [VG]Reagle

The graphics SUCK ASS. Upgrade them and add WAKE ISLAND.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

46. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 19:41 DG

Halo wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 14:38:
This isn't about greed it's about business.
The two are far from mutually exclusive. Most businesses turning a reasonable profit are actually doing so by adding utility in some way. Greedy business wants to turn as much profit as possible by any means.

Anyhow, microtransactions are very badly suited to MP gaming. Fancy a game of chess where players can buy extra pawns, and every month new upgraded pieces are introduced to keep sales coming in? Or how about a new map every couple of months, that hardly any servers host because they keep losing half their players when it loads in the rotation?

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 19:46.

45. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 18:52 bigspender

32 players? pfft
talk to me when we can do at least 64

44. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 18:46 yonder

Overon wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 18:05:
PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 13:07:
I played arcade games very rarely. I probably spent less then 15 bucks on the arcades.

Depending on your age... 15 bucks a month at the arcade *IS* the same as 60 bucks a month on console games now...

And to Prez who says "After multiple failures EA just refuses to give up on this stupid business model." Um... the reason they refuse to give up is cuz it *WORKS*... F2P is *NOT* a failed business model by any definition I've ever heard of.

Stupid and Insulting often? Sure. Failed? No.

43. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 18:05 Overon

PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 13:07:
I don't pay to continue playing.

That's the definition of old school. Or were you not a youth infatuated with gathering as many quarters as you possibly could?
I played arcade games very rarely. I probably spent less then 15 bucks on the arcades.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 18:12.

42. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 17:54 Prez

Wow. After multiple failures EA just refuses to give up on this stupid business model.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 16:08 Beamer

Halo, maybe you missed my point in the paragraph above, or you need to check your moral compass

What's immoral here?

It's not like they own the world's food supply and are charging you $50 for a piece of corn.
They're releasing a crappy product with a crappy business model.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo