Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans

Diaspora: Shattered Armistice is an upcoming freeware Battlestar Galactica game using the FreeSpace 2-engine, which has been OpenSource since 2002. They have an impressive new trailer showing gameplay and their improved 3D cockpit. Thanks Ant via RPS/LinuxGames.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 5, 2010, 05:40 Wesp5

As far as I know there is a Star Wars mod for FS2 in the works.

Also I recently rediscovered the Babylon 5 FS2 mod "The Babylon Project" which has been finished some time ago and is very playable. It has lots of great campaigns and missions, some straight out of the show! There is nothing that beats watching a Shadow battlecrab slice a Narn cruiser in half or flying Shadow or Vorlon bioships yourself :)!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 5, 2010, 05:26 eRe4s3r

Part of the problem is that combat in space (when the game has shield mechanic) is pretty damn boring if you have 2 equal fighters, and downright CRAP if you don't have shields but more than 1 enemy. You could potentially circle endlessly around each other with neither side ever hitting anything (meaning causing lasting damage). And while doing that the enemy squad mate is shooting at you while you circle endlessely....

As long as those games do not come up with proper combat gameplay there is no hope whatsoever to see a good space combat game come around.

Silent Hunter 5 is fun because you stalk around in the ocean, and kills require planning, strategy and a bit of luck. A game where you command ANY surface ship is however absolutely boring because as soon as radar comes around its just a go to broadside and pray the dice is on your side game.

This is imo the main reason no combat game in space was ever really good. In fact, i don't get why nobody does a "subsim" in space (surely someone can come up with a proper story explanation and gameplay mechanic to accommodate the "stalking" part of subsims. ,p)

Of course Free-Space 2 was pretty awesome, i still remember dearly my first bomber run on a flak defended ship. I never saw an special effect in a game that was that awesome ever before But i have to admit i am not really keen on those "fighter/bomber" kind of space games anymore... particularly Beyond the Red Line frustrated the crap out of me as well but there were other games (i forgot, some russian super pretty space rpg shooter kind of thing) that had the same issues, high shields low accuracy or fire-rate weapons......

22. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 5, 2010, 02:29 Ant

kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 02:13:
Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 02:11:
That looks fan-freakin'-tastic.

I see what you did there.
It should be "That looks fan frakkin'-tastic."

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 5, 2010, 02:13 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 02:11:
That looks fan-freakin'-tastic.

I see what you did there.

20. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 5, 2010, 02:11 Prez

That looks fan-freakin'-tastic. Can't wait!

As an aside, I'd love a new Freespace almost as much as I'd love a new Freelancer or Elite.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 19:36 Dr. D. Schreber

I didn't care for Beyond the Red Line all that much, the missions were cookie-cutter and the insistence on screen accuracy made for unneeded gameplay frustration. The gun hardpoints on the Viper are somewhat far apart from each other and they fire in parallel, not a converging path, so the crosshair is lined up with the space in-between the guns instead of with the guns themselves. Extremely aggravating having the crosshair perfectly on-target with the lead-indicator, or the target itself at close range, but only shooting an outline around the target like some crazy Loony Toons gag with a tommy gun.

I'll definitely give this a try, but I'm kinda looking more forward to Blackwater Operations and the Wing Commander total conversion. I was ecstatic when I thought of checking out the Wing Commander TC like, a year after playing their prologue campaign and finding that it's not only still going but reasonably close to completion.

Flatline wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 13:57:
TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 12:44:
This is Freespace 2 based? Looks great!

When FS2 went open source, they started overhauling it graphically. If you haven't checked it out recently, you should. They've redone the textures for the game at higher resolutions and implemented a lot of modern graphics candy.

That's part of what boggles me. You could have a nearly photo-realistic space combat game these days, considering how relatively resource efficient space sims are, yet nobody's really tried to knock it out of the park.

I think part of the problem is that Freespace 2 itself basically killed the genre dead because it was so awesome and yet didn't sell well (which is largely blamed, probably truthfully, on a lack of marketing.) Starlancer came after Freespace 2 and was completely underwhelming in comparison, with nowhere near the same sense of scale or fun. The gameplay was really rough around the edges and the presentation was lacking. Freelancer was better, but it moved pretty far away from what we think of as the space combat genre, and neither sold well.

Basically, the only thing that would revive the genre is Freespace 3, but we know what the chances of that are by now. The best the genre has to offer now is all the extra stuff the Freespace community's been making since the source code was released, especially when they get around to releasing campaigns. I think I replay Derelict more than the retail campaign.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 19:32 The Half Elf

ViRGE wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 18:44:
kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 16:56:
CythrawL wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 14:02:
I totally agree.. Imagine a Tie Fighter game now (not Xwing Vs Tie... that was a crap game).. c'mon Lucasarts you know you want to...

Well it would require more work than just updating textures. There's the lobby and mission summaries that would need to be redone to today's standards. They would also need to re-record the audio voice over work. The ones in-game are low quality. I also think they could hire James Earl Jones to provide the voice of Darth Vader. That would be a sweet check for him for very little VO work.
They would also need to rebalance the missions against a better flight model. X-Wing and Tie Fighter tried to emulate Newtonian physics by giving ships a very slow acceleration and deceleration rate, and a slow turning rate to match. XvT ditched that for the "modern" flight model of much more nimble ships that unsurprisingly are much more fun to fly. As much as I like Tie Fighter, I don't think I could put up with the clunky flight model again.

Um, if I'm not mistaken NONE of the X-wing or Tie Fighter games EVER had Newtonian physics. They were done to emulate WW2 dogfights, just as George himself wanted them to.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 18:44 ViRGE

kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 16:56:
I totally agree.. Imagine a Tie Fighter game now (not Xwing Vs Tie... that was a crap game).. c'mon Lucasarts you know you want to...

Well it would require more work than just updating textures. There's the lobby and mission summaries that would need to be redone to today's standards. They would also need to re-record the audio voice over work. The ones in-game are low quality. I also think they could hire James Earl Jones to provide the voice of Darth Vader. That would be a sweet check for him for very little VO work.
They would also need to rebalance the missions against a better flight model. X-Wing and Tie Fighter tried to emulate Newtonian physics by giving ships a very slow acceleration and deceleration rate, and a slow turning rate to match. XvT ditched that for the "modern" flight model of much more nimble ships that unsurprisingly are much more fun to fly. As much as I like Tie Fighter, I don't think I could put up with the clunky flight model again.

16. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 16:56 Kxmode

15. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 16:08 Tumbler

Wow, that looks awesome. I loved the new BSG's space battles, epic in every way.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 15:51 flechett3

Wildone wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 11:33:
Everything good except 3rd person vipers? Uhm no...1st person cockpit or fuck off who dogfights in 3rd person view

If you read the comments on the youtube video, even the developers say that 3rd person is just a 'nice view to take screenshots/movies, it's not for dogfighting.'

13. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 14:40 Cheese

what about the other good mod for FS2 I have no mouth but can hear you scream..that was a good one as well..made by the same group Hardlight productions.  

12. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 14:17 Flatline

Actually, they really don't. They're still sucking off the prequel movies. If they could convince us that the trilogy didn't exist, they'd MiB-style mindwipe the entire planet.

My idea was to give in to the dark side and make a console Star Wars space sim, complete with custom cockpit controller. We already know that people will drop 200+ bucks on Rock Band, and Steel Battalion sold out back in the days of XBox 1, so I suspect you could do it profitably for, say, 150 bucks a unit. Make rebel & imperial versions too that function the same but look different. There's no reason why you couldn't introduce an old school, AAA graphics space sim to the console if your controller could handle the complexity.

11. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 14:02 CythrawL

10. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 13:57 Flatline

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 12:44:

When FS2 went open source, they started overhauling it graphically. If you haven't checked it out recently, you should. They've redone the textures for the game at higher resolutions and implemented a lot of modern graphics candy.

That's part of what boggles me. You could have a nearly photo-realistic space combat game these days, considering how relatively resource efficient space sims are, yet nobody's really tried to knock it out of the park.

9. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 13:33 JoeNapalm

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 13:10:
What happened to the other FS2 / BSG project? Did this one fork from it, is it totally separate?

You mean Beyond the Redline?

I believe most of the BtRL team split off to work on this.

A schism, if you will.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

8. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 13:10 Suddenly_Dead

What happened to the other FS2 / BSG project? Did this one fork from it, is it totally separate?  

7. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 12:44 TangledThorns

6. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 12:26 Kxmode

Wildone wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 11:33:
Everything good except 3rd person vipers? Uhm no...1st person cockpit or fuck off who dogfights in 3rd person view

I think that's just an option, just like 3rd person was available in X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter.

5. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 11:48 RenownWolf

Anything BSG related never ends, the original series, the new one... the spin off.

It's dooooommmeeedddd!

http://www.renownwolf.com

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo