Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Last night turned out to be a mini-nightmare for Hudson the wonder dog. I've mentioned before how my brave Airedale's fear of thunder and explosions also applies to the chirp of a smoke alarm that needs new batteries. This turned into a problem when one of the plotlines in last night's episode of Modern Family involved being unable to locate a smoke detector making such a chirp, so the episode featured the sound throughout, which freaked her out more each time it happened, even after turning the volume way down. If the episode had gone any longer than it did we would have just given up and shut it off. Luckily we don't generally watch reruns.

Chirping Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Missing Mechanism.
Nuclearoids.
AVOIDAL.
Links: 8 Rare Sequels That Destroy Their Originals. GB&TU is a prequel (and doesn't destroy its forebears).
Neatolicious Fun Facts: Marbles.
Harry Potter blamed for India's owl crisis. Thanks Slashdot.
Stories: Enter the all-analog coffee, hand-brewed by the cup.
Paris girl 'survives six-storey fall unharmed'. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: New Findings on PTSD and Brain Activity.
Media: The Troll Hunter Official trailer. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Sim's Night Out. Thanks Voodoo Extreme.
Introducing Jackie Chiles: For the People.
Auction: Have lunch with Expendables'' Eric Roberts. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: This Saturday We're Going 'Back To The Future' Again.
Cop Flipper-Offer, Settles First Amendment Lawsuit for $4,000. Thanks nin.
The remaining episodes of "Caprica" will air on Canada's Space channel.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 5, 2010, 02:18 Kxmode

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 19:06:
I'll tell you why Wrath of Khan was not a better move than the first one.

THAT TERRIBLE FAKE CHEST!!!

yes I know the debate rages, but it is obviously fake. I never hear any dialogue when Ricardo is on screen. All I can see is the fakeness. I obsess over how unnatural it is, and how it never flexes or moves.

You vex Khan. You don't want to vex Khan. Do you know what happens when you vex Khan? He'll chase you around the moons of Nibia and around the Antares Maelstrom and around Perdition's flames before he'll give you up! And if he can't get you, he'll turn into a suicide bomber and spit his last breath... at thee.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 22:12 mag

PHJF wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 16:17:
Beyond THUNDERDOME? ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS?

Might as well say Escape From LA is better than EFNY. Or Conan the Destroyer is better than CTB. RIDICULOUS.

And Two Towers jumped the shark by placing way, wayyyyy too much emphasis on action over narrative. Yes, it was a good "Hollywood" movie and no doubt helped cement LOTRs mainstream popularity, but I far and away consider Fellowship the best realization of Tolkien mythos.

On that note...

Gandalf the Grey battles Saruman at Isengard, and they are using their staves to hurl each other about. Gandalf the White only ever enchants his staff with +1 light radius throughout the other movies. What gives? Does Force Push only work on other wizards? Wizard my ass.

He also used "Summon Bigger Eagle" and "Summon Bigger Horse."

Unfortunately, lawful good (white) wizards in the LotR campaign are pretty limited to communing with nature, dismissing curses/befuddlement, lighting up rooms, and bardic courage buffs. Grey wizards have a little more leeway with the shoving and the bridge demolishing, I guess.

21. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 19:06 Dirwulf

I'll tell you why Wrath of Khan was not a better move than the first one.

THAT TERRIBLE FAKE CHEST!!!

yes I know the debate rages, but it is obviously fake. I never hear any dialogue when Ricardo is on screen. All I can see is the fakeness. I obsess over how unnatural it is, and how it never flexes or moves.

20. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 18:49 The Half Elf

Kenn Hoekstra wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 11:45:
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls was horrible. With the exception of the mechanical Rhino scene, there wasn't a single funny thing about that movie. Doesn't hold a candle to the original...

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is also not mentioned. Fail ++

Gremlins 2 was a good movie?!? When my mother of 60 some odd years can quote line for line the scene in the first movie with the mom fighting to take back her kitchen you have a great movie (granted I think there are 3 lines in the entire sequence).

And yes, like Empires Strikes Back, The Wrath of Khan has pretty much been the pinnacle of the Trek movies.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 17:09 space captain

thunderdome was a kids movie, it was almost disney level shit

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:27 Choachy

We have a Labrador retriever who has never cared about storms and thunder (thank goodness), but I know exactly what you mean about smoke detectors with low batteries!

We have a few detectors downstairs, and 1 upstairs...the one upstairs began chirping. We couldnt hear it, but the dog sure could. He went bat-shit crazy for 2 days before we realized what it was. (we dont go upstairs that often)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:24 Kxmode

PHJF wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 16:17:
ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS?

Yes. My favorites list isn't the same as yours. Notice I didn't include The Godfather 2. I'm not a fan of the series; that doesn't necessarily mean I think the sequel is bad. It's just not for me.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:17 PHJF

Beyond THUNDERDOME? ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS?

Might as well say Escape From LA is better than EFNY. Or Conan the Destroyer is better than CTB. RIDICULOUS.

And Two Towers jumped the shark by placing way, wayyyyy too much emphasis on action over narrative. Yes, it was a good "Hollywood" movie and no doubt helped cement LOTRs mainstream popularity, but I far and away consider Fellowship the best realization of Tolkien mythos.

On that note...

Gandalf the Grey battles Saruman at Isengard, and they are using their staves to hurl each other about. Gandalf the White only ever enchants his staff with +1 light radius throughout the other movies. What gives? Does Force Push only work on other wizards? Wizard my ass.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:15 Nameless Again

Harry Potter blamed for India's owl crisis.

Oh, it can be blamed for a lot more than that. Shitty writing, crap story, over-inflated book sales, the dumbing down of readers, authors who give away key pieces of the plot before the books are available (not once, but TWICE!), etc. This list just goes on and on.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:14 xXBatmanXx

Off to see Reverend Horton Heat at First Ave tonight.....always a great show!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:12 nin

Excellent list, kx...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 16:05 Kxmode

My list of sequels that destroyed their originals:

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Because George Lucas didn't have much input in the making of this film it meant this film was made by people who actually know their craft.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
I know some say Mad Max 2 is better but to be honest I don't remember Mad Max 2. I do, however, remember Beyond Thunderdome. There were many memorable characters and plenty of quotable lines. And then there's that Tina Turner song!

Toy Story 2
Pixar builds upon the first and makes the second even better. The introduction of Jessie as an abandoned toy added a level of sadness I hadn't felt for toys before. I actually went home and played with my toys after seeing this film.

X2: X-Men United
Better performances and a better story. The performance by Brian Cox as Styrker is perfect; I understood his pain and what drove him. For the first time we get to see Wolverine really unleash his fury on those soldiers with his claws!

Aliens
Do I even need to say why this is better? But it is safe to say this movie has a certain dollar value attached to it.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
KKKKHHHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNN Shakefist

Superman II
Much better than the first! Krypton criminals General Zod, Ursa and Non are sentenced by Jor-El for banishment into the Phantom Zone. They somehow manage to escape their confinement and immediately cause havoc on earth. Of course General Zod continues his Kyptonian rebellion by demanding obedience and servitude from humans. Meanwhile Clark Kent loses his powers and gets to experience what life is like as a normal human. The high point is the climactic battle between Superman and the Krypton badasses!

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
While not as deep as the book the film does delved more into the lore of LOTR. The pacing was much better too. Fellowship suffered from too many slow moments. The Helms Deep battle was the first of its kind too. I don't think I've ever seen that many CG orcs on screen!

Spider-Man 2
Peter Parker continues his struggle to maintain a relationship with Mary Jane, juggling his studies, holding down a job, and fighting crime as Spiderman. You insert Doctor Octavius (who isn't exactly a bad guy but a misguided soul consumed by his passions) and Peter's best friend Harry (who is descending into madness and the role his evil father held) and all these plots are organically weaved together to make the pacing a much better viewing experience than the first.

Terminator 2
Nuff said.

The Dark Knight
This film stands apart from all other superhero films. It's not a superhero film but something more. This is a crime drama. And then there's Heath Ledger.

The Karate Kid Part II
I liked this film more than the first. The relationship between Daniel and Yukie felt wooden but thankfully their screen time together was very limited. I liked that this film goes deeper into the main characters. I also like that it literally picks up where the first left off. We can see John Kreese's reaction to losing his trophy and how Mr. Miyagi handles it. We travel to Okinawa and see Mr. Miyagi's family and land. We even learn that fighting in Okinawa is "for real." The fight scene at the end is much more intense than the first film.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 00:40.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 15:35 Verno

Agreed, Carrey has some real shit but he's also been in some incredible films. When he gets the right script he's very convincing. I loved the Ace Ventura movies too, there aren't enough comedies that appeal to all age ranges these days.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

10. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 14:50 nin

Regardless of anything else Jim Carey has done, Ace, is his best character by far.

I think Eternal Sunshine is my favorite of his, with Truman Show being a close second.

9. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 14:31 Cutter

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls was horrible. With the exception of the mechanical Rhino scene, there wasn't a single funny thing about that movie. Doesn't hold a candle to the original...

I suppose I'm one of the few that loves both Ace Ventura flicks and wish they had made a few more. Regardless of anything else Jim Carey has done, Ace, is his best character by far. I just giggle like a schoolboy all the way through those films. And Heinz Gitzvelvet - Trainer of Dolphins always makes me pee my pants laughing. "And along comes, Roy, mit de vite tigers undt ze schtuffing in de pants unt I'm gone!"

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 14:02 Verno

Aliens is a better action movie than Alien but I don't think it's necessarily a worthwhile direct comparison as they differ in scope and presentation. Alien is far more unsettling and slow paced, it's a slow burn film. Aliens is more like a freight train, traditional action movie in a sci-fi setting. They're both excellent films and Aliens without question is an amazing action/sci-fi movie but I don't think it necessarily surpasses the original so much as it is just a totally different experience.

tl;dr - Alien is more like sci-fi/horror while Aliens is more like an action/sci-fi film. Alien 3 is a more apt comparison to Alien in my opinion.

Offtopic but I watched Predators last night and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Definitely a step in the right direction after those awful AvP movies.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2010, 13:50 Mr. Tact

Aliens vs Alien should be on this list. That along with original Star Wars vs the second film, and Terminator vs T2 are clearly the three best examples of sequels that surpassed fantastic originals.

For Star Trek, yes Khan was great -- but the original wasn't.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 12:32 PropheT

I like the first Terminator better than the second and I thought the second Ace Ventura movie was universally regarded as crap. To each his own, I guess :p

Alien 3 is the only other one I can think of, but that's one that I don't think destroys its predecessors in the way that he's talking about.

5. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 12:02  Blue 

Fine point, arguably that should have been #1 on the list.

And as I said, since A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are both standout films, it would have made a fine replacement for The Good the Bad and The Ugly, which does not belong.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: 8 Sequels That Destroy Their Originals Nov 4, 2010, 11:56 nin

Yeah, I don't remember much about that movie besides the rhino scene, and that as a whole, I didn't care for it. Then again, I wasn't overly wild about the first one.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo