Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

BitMob - Patchwork: Rejecting the Post-Release Fix.
Otherwise, post-release patching has become a crutch and a cheat, allowing publishers to purposely give the thumbs-up to blatantly faulty products for the sake of their schedule. Y'know, a few years ago, some European Union commissioners tried to enact legal protections for gamers buying faulty games...here's hoping that doesn't fade away. If we pay full price for a game, we have a right to expect full quality. No excuses.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. No subject Oct 30, 2010, 12:23 The Phantom Chicken of CS_Italy

I've come to assume that the Game of the Year and Gold editions were the full, non-test product.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Oct 30, 2010, 10:21 Prez

I am wary of starting to complain about post-release patches - at least we get them most of the time. I'd shudder to think what would happen if we didn't and the 1.0 release was all there would ever be. Silent Hunter anyone?  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Op Ed Oct 30, 2010, 04:07 Kobalt

One of the biggest advantages consoles had over pcs for a long time was the fact that companies actually had to release finished games. Sadly, this is slowly changing as every new console makes it easier and easier to patch. Is funny when pc developers rage when they can't release daily patches for their buggy games though.  

3. Re: Op Ed Oct 29, 2010, 15:12 TurdFergasun

so it's not your average dev/pub thats an idiot who can't wait to release the game til it's ready? the idiot gamer already gave up his/her mom's money for the game, so why should they be expected to give out interest free loans to giant gaming companies on the promise of a properly finished game? the majority of cases the game will not be finished correctly or had all it's bugs traced down. sounds like a bad investment to me. i know i don't touch games til they've been properly beta testes by the paying public anymore.  

2. Re: Op Ed Oct 29, 2010, 14:12 Warskull

wrlwnd wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 12:01:
Eh, your average gamer is an idiot who can't wait a while for the patch.

That's why companies do this - it makes money.

Sad, but true. It boils down to gamers are far too accepting of bugs. They want a game to be good so bad, they are willing to overlook massive bugs. They let companies get away with released unfinished, sub-par products and they let the reviewers get away with glazing over bugs. They get exactly what they deserve, buggy mediocre games. Anyone who didn't expect Fallout 3:NV to be a buggy mess was delusional. Every game Bethesda released is buggy, every game Obsidian releases is buggy. The only problem is they lower the quality of gaming for the rest of us with their stupidity.

I'm not talking about small bugs either, software development is complex. Some bugs will slip through, particularly those that have to be triggered by a very specific set of circumstances. These days they don't even bother fixing blatant, game destroying bugs that QA probably found in 5 minutes.

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 29, 2010, 12:01 wrlwnd

Eh, your average gamer is an idiot who can't wait a while for the patch.

That's why companies do this - it makes money.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo