Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Staff Cuts

Joystiq has confirmation of "seasonal" job losses at Electronic Arts, pointing out this is the third year in a row they've cut jobs heading into the holidays. EA also tells GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) "sources may be exaggerating" the number of positions impacted. These sources include a Tweet by George Broussard, who had said: "EA Canada lays off 100+. Rumors swirl about global EA layoff in double digit range," and a post on Shacknews saying EA Black Box (likewise located in Vancouver, Canada) also suffered layoffs. Here's EA's official statement: "As you know, seasonal roll-offs that follow game launches are common and vital to maintaining a healthy business. Because so many of our games ship in the holiday quarter, the team size adjustments tend to follow in the same timeframe. However, EA is growing and several of our studios are looking to hire talented people."

View
23. Re: EA Staff Cuts Oct 29, 2010, 12:04 CJ_Parker

AnointedSword wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 08:51:
"No company in the software development sector fires its experienced workforce."

Huh? We do it all the time. If the demand is not there, businesses have to cut the work force. If a company does not get paid, how are they going to pay the workers?

I am not saying this is the case with EA, but sometimes business owners and leaders have to make the hard decisions. This includes letting go experienced workers.

I know I should have added "unless they absolutely have to" but I thought it was clear from the context of the ongoing discussion. Whom or how many get fired depends on a lot of other factors as well, of course. Like the complexity of your software or the tools you are working with. Some people have invaluable skills or experience or a rare combination of skills so that letting them go is simply not an option.

Anyway, I think that anyone who is working in the video gaming industry should know the rules of the game. It's hire & fire at its best. If anyone wants job security they need to go look somewhere else. Actually I'm sure that EA is one of the places with the highest job security [in the video gaming industry] simply due to their sheer size. Of course no one is talking about the indies and the small studios who hire & fire all the time but if EA lays off a couple hundred out of a few thousand (Wikipedia says 8,000) it makes the headlines and there is an outcry of [dumb] people. Boom! Bang! Murder! Rape! It's just retarded.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 28, 22:00 Re: EA Staff Cuts Dev
  2. Oct 28, 22:46  Re: EA Staff Cuts Cram
  3. Oct 28, 22:59   Re: EA Staff Cuts Wildone
  4. Oct 28, 23:50    Re: EA Staff Cuts Dev
  6. Oct 29, 00:49     Re: EA Staff Cuts Wildone
  7. Oct 29, 00:53      Re: EA Staff Cuts Sepharo
  8. Oct 29, 01:26      Re: EA Staff Cuts Dev
  9. Oct 29, 01:29       Re: EA Staff Cuts Sepharo
  5. Oct 29, 00:38 Re: EA Staff Cuts DangerDog
  10. Oct 29, 02:52 Re: EA Staff Cuts AngryMax