Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Universe Testing Signups

The Tribes Universe Website is now accepting registration from those interested in alpha testing the upcoming persistent TRIBES game from Hi-Rez Studios. "We are very proud and humbled to be carrying the banner of the Tribes Franchise," said Stewart Chisam, Executive Producer of Tribes Universe. "Because the game will be focused around huge battles on huge landscapes, we need a solid group of very dedicated testers that can help us from the games' earliest stages to validate the scalability and performance of the game, while also helping tune and refine gameplay. We look forward to starting Alpha testing early next year and will certainly be providing much more information over the coming months." Alpha testing is expected to kick off early next year, and the announcement includes a preliminary feature list for the game:

• Massive PvP battles * Massive outdoor maps/landscapes
  • Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
  • Three Tribes (Factions)
  • Full clan support
  • First person view (third person for some vehicles)
  • Full vehicle support (ground and air)
  • Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons - all the things you expect from a game set inside the Tribes game world.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 29, 2010, 12:29 Jerykk

So maybe I'm not excited for it in terms of it being just like Starsiege or Tribes 2 but to finally be a good persistent large scale MMOFPS.

I'm interested to see how well Tribes works in a persistent world. However, I'm not interested in forcing leveling and unlockables into what's supposed to be a hardcore, competitive shooter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 29, 2010, 03:46 KilrathiAce

Hump wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 18:05:
Starting the email farming early I guess.

A suggestion if you are over 30, don't give your real age. These guys have a history of ignoring middle-aged-and-older gamers for betas.

haha

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

32. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 23:57 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 23:22:
I'm not happy to hear that T:U is primarily inspired by T2 but at this point, it doesn't really matter because the whole MMO thing has already ruined it.

I hope you're wrong. And I think you do too.

Won't this be the first developer to do two shooter MMOs? Even if the first is third person and barely an MMO they've got experience under their belt and apparently funds too. They've shown a real concern for the fans too, I mean who would expect skiing to even be on the list of features. You would think that'd be the first to go in today's games.

So maybe I'm not excited for it in terms of it being just like Starsiege or Tribes 2 but to finally be a good persistent large scale MMOFPS.

31. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 23:46 Prez

I'm glad that they are not catering to the hardest of the hardcore Tribes community with T:Universe. Sure, the original game required skill. And if you were in the top 1% of 1% of people who have reflexes like a cat on speed, then you had a great time beating up on the cannon fodder (I guarantee every single hardcore player has killed me at least a dozen times). The rest of us kept hoping to get on a server where someone was a worse player than us. Weeeee... fun.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 23:22 Jerykk

Tumbler wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 15:37:
Hmm, I must be thinking of tribes 2, at some point you could fly this little transport around with guys on it and that it what I remember about tribes at this point. That video clip is much different than the last time I remember playing tribes.

T2 had a much heavier emphasis on vehicles than T1, much to its detriment. The devs really, really wanted people to use vehicles this time so they put shields on everything and nerfed physics so you couldn't skate as fast. I'm not happy to hear that T:U is primarily inspired by T2 but at this point, it doesn't really matter because the whole MMO thing has already ruined it.

29. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 22:30 ColoradoHoudini

kxmode wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 14:34:
Tribes introduced me to the concept of tower defense before I even knew it was called that. Imagine this: I spawn. I run over the kiosk. I immediately picked heavy armor and ammo station. I go up to the base's roof and find a nice spot. I place my ammo station out of sight, generally inside the base's corridor (easy to get to, but hard to destroy). I then switch over to mortar shells and go ape crazy lobbing them all over the place. In a typical match I was able to kill an average of 15 enemy players using this.

I got really good at arcing mortars over to snipers. Sniper vs Mortar... mortar wins every time!

i fucking LOVED playing topside defense on a few of those maps. Mines, a camera, turret, inventory station.. and my mortars.. playing a long-standing cat and mouse game with attackers trying to take out our gens so our turrets wouldnt kill the incoming lights... a perfect ba;ance of offense and defense.. perfect teamplay and somehow.. some fucking how.. everyone in that damn game did their job and tried their best to play right. It was so beautiful to see.

28. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 20:34 Nate

PvE is probably for newb training scenarios.  

27. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 19:12 Jivaro

Linksil wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 13:21:
There shouldn't be ANY PvE.

Quoted for truth.

26. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 18:34 heroin

I must say that I am very excited about Fire Fall. Has some original people who worked on Tribes and a couple of the original developers from Vanilla WoW - including the original art director. It looks pretty awesome, "massive" shooter (that is if they get rid of some of the Halo looking creatures I've seen in game) and it's "free".  

25. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 18:30 Steele Johnson

Basing it on Tribes 2 worries me. Starsiege: Tribes had a very unique feel, and it was lost with Tribes 2. Not to say Tribes 2 wasn't fun; just saying Tribes 1 had something special that no other game had. Tribes 2 leaned towards a more military feel that a lot FPSs already had. I hope they change their direction.  

24. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 18:05 Hump

Starting the email farming early I guess.

A suggestion if you are over 30, don't give your real age. These guys have a history of ignoring middle-aged-and-older gamers for betas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

23. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 17:49 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 17:40:
Overon wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 16:09:
and the skill system is much more similar to a game like EVE.
I'm not familiar with the EVE skill system. Someone describe it.

I haven't played EVE in awhile but from what I remember you pick a skill to train and then it takes several days to learn it regardless of whether or not you're logged in. I'm not sure if that's what they mean. Perhaps they simply mean over time through use skill improvements unlock.

?

EVE has no levels, only individual skills have levels. You learn them by selecting to train that skill(only 1 skill at a time) and different skills take different amounts of time based on how complex or basic they are.

For instance(translated in to real life): basic mathematics would have a 1x time multiplier while calculus would have a 5x time multiplier(it takes you 5 times as long). Each level of skill(5 skill levels per skill) has a universal base number and the multiplier is used to increase that. 5minutes for a 1x skill at level 1 becomes 25minutes for a 5x skill at level 1.

Some skills have prerequisites: you cannot be a nuclear submarine technician without both mechanical and nuclear engineering experience.

How they translate that in to Tribes, who knows, but I'd much rather a system with nothing like that and just sell the damn game. The PlanetSide model only works if you make it a good game, and all attempts I've seen at this have failed because they hire MMO developers to make an FPS game.

22. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 17:40 Kxmode

Overon wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 16:09:

I haven't played EVE in awhile but from what I remember you pick a skill to train and then it takes several days to learn it regardless of whether or not you're logged in. I'm not sure if that's what they mean. Perhaps they simply mean over time through use skill improvements unlock.

?

21. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 16:09 Overon

All character progression is designed to give more options in gameplay (not inherently greater player strength), levels are more for reputation
I don't believe this for a second. I think the guy may be exaggerating. MMO's need grinding to keep the subscriptions payments coming. Grinding toward something better gear.
there is a very limited amount of PvE.
PvE? How? Have Bioderms as cannon fodder for grinding purposes?

20. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 16:05 bhcompy

Flatline wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 15:51:
Tribes introduced me to the concept of tower defense before I even knew it was called that. Imagine this: I spawn. I run over the kiosk. I immediately picked heavy armor and ammo station. I go up to the base's roof and find a nice spot. I place my ammo station out of sight, generally inside the base's corridor (easy to get to, but hard to destroy). I then switch over to mortar shells and go ape crazy lobbing them all over the place. In a typical match I was able to kill an average of 15 enemy players using this.

I got really good at arcing mortars over to snipers. Sniper vs Mortar... mortar wins every time!

I played with a custom reticule that had angle/range gradients on it to make your mortaring even more accurate and lethal. The skill came from having to adjust based on how far above/below you the target was. Good times.

I was usually a sniper/skirmisher myself. I loved it in Tribes 1 where I could pretty much always whip out a targeting laser, lase a target for about 10 seconds, and I'd see at least two or three mortars from people I didn't even know where in the area come lobbing at my target. It was great.

pfft. That's like a nade timer in TF

19. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 15:51 Flatline

I played with a custom reticule that had angle/range gradients on it to make your mortaring even more accurate and lethal. The skill came from having to adjust based on how far above/below you the target was. Good times.

I was usually a sniper/skirmisher myself. I loved it in Tribes 1 where I could pretty much always whip out a targeting laser, lase a target for about 10 seconds, and I'd see at least two or three mortars from people I didn't even know where in the area come lobbing at my target. It was great.

18. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 15:49 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 15:37:
Hmm, I must be thinking of tribes 2, at some point you could fly this little transport around with guys on it and that it what I remember about tribes at this point. That video clip is much different than the last time I remember playing tribes.

Tribes 1 had two such transports IIRC. A small APC(2 pass) and a large APC(4 pass)

17. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 15:37 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 15:19 Jerykk

In tribes you'd fly speeders and transports around, I think they had fighters and such as well.

Eh, not really. Not in Tribes 1, at least. Once skiing was discovered, vehicles were mostly abandoned except for occasionally using a Scout for defense or to gain momentum for flag grabs.

Tribes you'd take outposts/bases and try and defend them.

The most popular mode in Tribes was CTF, by far, and that was completely different from BF1942.

You should really watch the Tribes Legacy videos to get a good sense of what Tribes really was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3IlLAK0B6g. If you can watch that and still tell me that BF1942 and Tribes were similar games, I'm not sure what to say.

As for that interview at Massively.com, T:U doesn't sound good at all. First of all, Tribes does not need unlockables. Unlockables are inherently unbalanced (having a greater selection of weapons and items is a distinct advantage). I don't want to have to grind to rank 30 in order to unlock the mortar launcher.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2010, 15:27.

15. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 14:54 Kxmode

bhcompy wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 14:47:

And much shazbotting was to be had

mmhmm Giggle

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo