Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com

GOG.com now offers online sales of a DRM-free version of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition, the highly regarded D&D role-playing game. Word is: "Neverwinter Nights is a role-playing game set in the Forgotten Realms. It uses the 3rd Edition D&D ruleset, which might be a plus if you're a 4ed hater or something ;). The storyline, centered around finding the cure to a dreadful plague, is fantastic, as befits the setting. You will meet countless memorable characters and engage in hours of superbly written dialog. The main campaign alone is vast enough to keep you hooked and entertained for weeks, but that's not all. The Diamond edition comes complete with three additional campaign modules to make your gaming experience last even longer. Last, but not least, Neverwinter Nights includes a robust multiplayer mode that offers many gameplay types and, depending on the server, supports up to 96 players. And yes, there's still a lot of people playing! You can even create your own server and host a private game for your friends, with you being their Dungeon Master."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 28, 2010, 03:40 Kajetan

Icewind wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:55:
Fan outcry in the forums forced them to remove the securom, since it was causing havoc with several configs at the time.
Not only that ... the unpatched Diamond Edition (1.66) is blocked by Win7 because of compatibility reasons aka Securom. You had to use a crack or update to latest patch 1.69, to remove the play protection system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 28, 2010, 03:35 Kajetan

Darks wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:44:
if anyone knows a fix I would like to know what it is.
Update the game and/or the video drivers. This problem was fixed, i think, two or three years ago. NWN1 works fine here (Win7/64, Nvidia 9800 GTX+)

28. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 22:35 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:19:
Stripping D&D down to a single PC was the worst offense of NWN.

Sorry, single PC and a "henchman". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Sorry, must disagree. I would rather have automated henchman any day. I'm too lazy.

27. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 22:22 sauron

Darks wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:50:
By the way, our team was one of those that re-created the original Eye of the Beholder games from SSI way back when.

We have one final update coming out in a few weeks that completely over hauls the way the mod looks from when we first released it along with a bunch of new enhancements and bug and script fixes..

Anyone interested this is the site.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4028

Thanks! Looks like a nice remake of a classic. Will certainly check it out.

Kittens!

26. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 19:09 eRe4s3r

Mhh and here a larger list with good luminal modules , and not all are rated Teen (Thank god)

A Dance with Rogues Part 1 (1.50) and Part 2 (1.23) Note that PART 2 still awaits an Update to make it "connect" with the revised Part 1... (ADULT content)
Enigma Island (trilogy)
The Aielund Saga (five mod series)
Chronicles of Zartorill - Shadows of a King's Justice (trilogy)
Saleron's Gambit (five part series)
Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, and Demon campaigns (very long series)
Resurrection Gone Wrong (two part series)
Aribeth's Redemption (trilogy)

search on nwnvault for them

25. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 19:04 avianflu

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:50:
NWN by itself had a crap story, but mods and that one DLC made it worthwhile.

agreed X 10

24. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 18:55 Icewind

Fond memories. I remember my mod, which I made way back in late 2003, was put in a top ten list on the official boards for "Cleric" themed adventures. A very tiny award, but something I look fondly back on. If only I had the same level of free time now that I did then, the wonderful things I could be making.

Though I hope everyone understands that NWN1 had its DRM removed completely by the second to last patch. Fan outcry in the forums forced them to remove the securom, since it was causing havoc with several configs at the time.

Some of my favorite player mods:

The Dreamcather series
The Forge of Fury
The Sunless Citadel
Daggerford
Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
and of course Hordes of the Underdark, the official Bioware expansion.

23. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 18:50 Silicon Avatar

The NWN DLC that added "hell" was the best. I forget what it was called. It was epic.

NWN by itself had a crap story, but mods and that one DLC made it worthwhile.

22. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 18:46 eRe4s3r

You need to look beyond the Original Campaign where that retarded concept has thankfully been eliminated or at least mostly been fixed. What focus on the main character does is allow for a much more involved Story - if the Campaign is made well even superior to crpg stories of yonder. But i agree that the Henchmen in the OC were not only badly executed but also incredibly dull. But then again, the OC was not only incredible DULL but extremely boring and badly executed, so the Henchmen concept fits right into that.

I absolutely hate NWN2 for some reason, i never could into that or any custom modules, not even Mask of the Betrayer. It all feels so sluggish and floaty, so indirect and delayed. Really weird. ;(

Besides i absolutely detest how the characters and faces look in NWN2 - particularly the dialogs where you can see people standing around with retarded IDLE animations while you click through. It worked fine in NWN1 but it looks hilariously cheap in NWN2.

21. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 18:13 Creston

Drayth wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 14:09:
Creston's link redirects to something very non NWN (at least for me).. give this a shot http://www.adamandjamie.com/mod/

Sorry, my work firewall blocks that site, so I couldn't actually find the proper link. His main page should have links to his NWN modules. I think he's currently working on a DA project.

Creston

20. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:58 J

Darks wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:44:
Drayth wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 14:52:
Does this work with newer Nvidia drivers? I seem to remember some incompatibilities with older drivers.

I would like to know this answer too. I have had issues with the game while playing going int oa black screen state and the game jsut shutting down in the back ground. you cant even alt tab out. it pretty much hard locks the pc. if anyone knows a fix I would like to know what it is.

I have a GTX 260, and an 8500 before that and it works fine with both. Sometimes alt-tabbing loses focus but a couple of alt-tabs fixes that.

Only issues I had with it crashing were when I had malware on the system

19. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:50 Darks

By the way, our team was one of those that re-created the original Eye of the Beholder games from SSI way back when.

We have one final update coming out in a few weeks that completely over hauls the way the mod looks from when we first released it along with a bunch of new enhancements and bug and script fixes..

Anyone interested this is the site.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4028

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

18. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:44 Darks

Drayth wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 14:52:
Does this work with newer Nvidia drivers? I seem to remember some incompatibilities with older drivers.

I would like to know this answer too. I have had issues with the game while playing going int oa black screen state and the game jsut shutting down in the back ground. you cant even alt tab out. it pretty much hard locks the pc. if anyone knows a fix I would like to know what it is.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

17. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:19 PHJF

Stripping D&D down to a single PC was the worst offense of NWN.

Sorry, single PC and a "henchman". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:10 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 13:31:
The storyline is in no way, shape or form "fantastic."

In fact, it's probably one of the WORST campaigns in RPG history.

I have to disagree. I think NOX or Darkened Skye take the trophy there

That said, the original NWN was a fantastic game, because it allows you to play luminal RPGs such as

www.adamandjamie.com

Check his NWN adventures. They are glorious RPG goodness.

Creston

I personally enjoyed the original NWN campaign, well except for certain parts of the city one. Once you got outside of the beginning city part of the campaign, it was a lot more enjoyable.

15. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:09 DrEvil

D4rkKnight wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 12:41:
Atari stopped Bioware from selling the premium modules, but I do notice that one of them, Darkness over Daggerford, was released for free:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5122

It wasn't so much that Atari stopped them as I believe Atari's right to continue sales stopped. Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, and I believe the Premium Modules fell under different licensing terms.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2010, 16:15.

14. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:03 Jonny

The storyline, centered around finding the cure to a dreadful plague, is fantastic, as befits the setting. You will meet countless memorable characters and engage in hours of superbly written dialog. The main campaign alone is vast enough to keep you hooked and entertained for weeks,

Unless I'm missing some cunning sarcasm here, that's utter and complete bollocks. I loved NWN for it's expansions and community content, the campaign was possibly the worst I've ever encountered in any game ever. I'm pretty sure anybody buying it for a fantastic storyline or countless memorable characters is never going to trust a GoG blurb ever again.

13. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 15:25 PHJF

One of my favorite servers (besides the obvious LotR ones) was a Diablo server. That's right, a server which mimicked (within reason) both the dungeons and loot of the original Diablo.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 14:52 Drayth

I used to play NWN's a ton, and I've almost always had nvidia cards.

11. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 14:48 Cerin

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo