Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"The challenge is that Treyarch is called the 'other' Call of Duty developer for a reason; the top review scores for the franchise on gamerankings.com are held by Infinity Ward games, with Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, the original Call of Duty, and Call of Duty 2 each receiving average scores of 89 or higher. The best reviewed Call of Duty game from Treyarch (World at War) received an 85.7% score, while Call of Duty 3 got an 82 rating," Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter tells IndustryGamers. "I don't know whether the gaming press will suddenly become more charitable than they have in the past, but my read on them as a group is that they are a hypercritical and bitter lot, and I think that they have the potential to find many things wrong with Black Ops, chief among them that the game is not Modern Warfare 2."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 21:20 xXBatmanXx

What a fuggin DOUCHEBAG!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 18:39 Mcboinkens

zirik wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 12:22:
^mortis^ wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 09:33:
Evil Timmy wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 03:46:
a never-ending stream of enemies that could only be stopped by walking to the next invisible trigger, and the next, and the next...

This should be the subtitle for every Call of Duty game!

^m^

the same could be said of the multiplayer aspect of any call of duty game. nade... airstrike... rinse and repeat.

Yeah except, the single player sucked. Multiplayer is still good though. Any multiplayer game can be boiled down to 2 or 3 things, so you don't really have a valid point.

Not to mention there weren't any airstrikes pre COD4.

19. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 14:58 Kxmode

Michael Pachter's call of duty is to wake up in the morning and talk about stuff he knows nothing about.  

18. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 14:41 ASeven

Personally I believe that CoD:BOs won't sell as much as MW2 but it will probably get numbers very close to MW2's sales numbers. And I wouldn't even be surprised that BOs sell more in the first month than MW2.

But at least I now know Activision is a client of Patcher.

17. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 12:22 zirik

^mortis^ wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 09:33:
a never-ending stream of enemies that could only be stopped by walking to the next invisible trigger, and the next, and the next...

^m^

the same could be said of the multiplayer aspect of any call of duty game. nade... airstrike... rinse and repeat.

16. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 12:20 zirik

Zardoz5 wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 02:59:
Didn't Treyarch only have 8 months or something to churn out CoD 3? I seem to recall them saying that at one point. No wonder it was a lower quality game.

treyarch didnt need more time since a lot of the hard work was already done by IW. they simply changed the story and added different missions. otherwise its the same graphic engine and net code. more like a mod.

15. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 09:33 ^mortis^

^m^

14. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 06:41 Prez

Pachter is a frickin' moron of the highest order, but he actually is right here. Don't be alarmed though - even a stopped clock is right 2 times a day.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 06:39 StingingVelvet

The online component in World at War was fine, but the single-player was abysmal. At some point they just gave up on any semblance of balance or testing and made the entire last third a never-ending stream of enemies that could only be stopped by walking to the next invisible trigger, and the next, and the next... Try sitting around a corner with a flamethrower, you can roast a steady stream of enemies to your heart's desire, and I've done it for over ten minutes just to demonstrate for others how ridiculous it was. I know MP is the main reason to buy, but if they're not even going to try, why bother?

The last couple Japan levels were annoying like that but the ones in Berlin were good, and the early game was awesome. I quite likes the campaign of World at War.

12. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 03:46 Evil Timmy

The online component in World at War was fine, but the single-player was abysmal. At some point they just gave up on any semblance of balance or testing and made the entire last third a never-ending stream of enemies that could only be stopped by walking to the next invisible trigger, and the next, and the next... Try sitting around a corner with a flamethrower, you can roast a steady stream of enemies to your heart's desire, and I've done it for over ten minutes just to demonstrate for others how ridiculous it was. I know MP is the main reason to buy, but if they're not even going to try, why bother?

Agreed about the perks too...since they have such a strong effect, they need to be a bit better balanced, rather than nearly everyone picking the exact same set.

11. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 02:59 Zardoz5

Didn't Treyarch only have 8 months or something to churn out CoD 3? I seem to recall them saying that at one point. No wonder it was a lower quality game.

Hopefully Sledgehammer does something new and interesting with the series as it has been stagnating for a long time. The poorly designed "perks" destroyed the balance in the CoD series. That and actually makes a decent storyline in the single player portion, MW2's "story" was ridiculously terrible.

10. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 01:10 StingingVelvet

Patcher is right here though, game reviewers consider the developer in their reviews. Fallout 3's bugs and ancient engine are barely mentioned, but New Vegas gets the stick for the same issues. Massive AAA games with a ton of hype get 90+ reviews as long as they are competent while smaller budget games get picked apart for every little thing wrong with them.

I would be surprised if Black Ops gets as good of reviews as Modern Warfare 2 even if it is a superior game.

9. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 00:53 Jivaro

Well, gamers do...the thing is..there are more gamers that fill the vacancy. I played Doom..then Duke and Outlaws..then Quake and Quake 2...by the time Quake 3 came around, shooters were starting to bore me. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, and Rocket Arena probably kept me in multiplayer shooters a good 3 years longer then I would have without those mods. There have been a few titles, like the original Medal of Honor and Call of Duty games that got me back in...but in general...I get this been there done that feeling with every shooter now.

My nephew on the other hand never played any of those games. The day he hit 16 and his mom said it was okay, he went and bought himself the latest version of Call of Duty. Because that is what it is..a version. A new version for the next generation of shooter players. My nephew thinks Modern Warfare 2 is the best multiplayer shooter of all time. My 24 year old co-worker has a thing for the Halo games, and I think Quake 2 and Tribes have still not been bettered by anything. What's the difference? How old we are.

If you ask me..not that anybody did...it isn't much different then movies. I find myself utterly bored with 99% of the movies made today because I have seen others that were about the same thing but, in my opinion, were much better. Hell, I liked the Transformers cartoons better then the damn movies. If those cartoons had Megan Fox's ass in them occasionally that would be perfect.

But I digress...you all get my point I am sure.

(wow..that got wordy..my bad)

8. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 00:15 Jerykk

I don't think reviews even matter at this point. CoD has become so mainstream that any game with "Call of Duty" in the title will sell millions. Didn't Activision already announce that Black Ops pre-orders have exceeded MW2's?

Hopefully consumers will eventually get tired of playing the same shallow game over and over but that probably won't happen until at least CoD10.

7. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 23:22 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 22:40:
But when Pachter says it it's not correct?

Is anyone here saying that?

The biggest complaints about the guy is that he either states the obvious or makes shit up. Anybody can do it.

"I predict we'll see a Call of Duty: Subtitle released 6-12 months after CoD:MW3 developed by a separate studio."

6. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 23:08 zirik

Sepharo wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 20:43:
I think the only reason that Treyarch's follow-ups are rated lower is because they are more of the same. If they released in reverse we'd see the same situation.

nailed it. treyarch adds little to the existing work already done by IW. well... ok they have zombies.

5. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 22:40 Beamer

I'm pretty sure most of us have all commented on this in the past when Treyarch was about to release a game.

But when Pachter says it it's not correct?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 22:07 DangerDog

Does IW even formally exist anymore? Seems like all the top people abandoned ship to go work for EA.

Black Ops looks more like Modern Warfare 2.5, seems there enough bling to get people to buy this years sports shooter game from Activision.

3. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 21:47 Creston

but my read on them as a group

Which I totally and completely pulled out of my festering fucking ass

Get fired and starve in a fucking dumpster, Pachter.

Creston

2. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 26, 2010, 20:43 Sepharo

I think the only reason that Treyarch's follow-ups are rated lower is because they are more of the same. If they released in reverse we'd see the same situation.

edit: edit: unnecessary correction, I really need to get more sleep

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2010, 23:28.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo