Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Going Free-to-Play

In a very special Champions Online State of the Game Update, we learn that Cryptic's superhero MMORPG is following many other MMOGs in going the free-to-play route. The update outlines how they are changing advancement and content delivery going forward before going on to explain the game's new business model involving an expanded C-Store and the benefits of what will become optional subscriptions. They say a "restricted beta" for these new features will commence next month. After outlining the benefits of a paying "gold" subscription, they outline how the game will differ for players using a free "silver" account:

Non-subscribers ("Silver Players") don't get all of that. Most importantly, they don't get complete control over what powers their heroes get. Instead, they can only create heroes by choosing an Archetype. Though the power progression is predefined, the player can tailor the powers with their choice of Advantages. Silver Players are also limited in other ways such as inventory, bank and marketplace space. Of course, Silver Players retain full control over how their character looks using the costume editor. They also get access to all the zones and levels.

If you decide to switch from Gold to Silver, your characters will still be there. However, you won't be able to play them until either you re-subscribe or you convert them into Silver characters. Exactly how this will work is still being determined.

There are several other ways that Gold Members and Silver Players differ. We have a Features Matrix published right here with the exact differences.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 27, 2010, 00:08 Prez

Kind of wish MMO's as a genre would just die out already. God how I hate them.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 20:11 Sempai

This nickel and dime shit is beginning to get old.

Pass.

15. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 19:42 Longswd

I'm going to make a prediction, 8 months after STO goes f2p Cryptic will be shutdown and their games will be sold off to SOE. To me, the only variable is how long it's going to take them to admit people won't pay a sub for STO.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

14. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 19:04 Dirwulf

I wonder how long before they do the same thing to Star Trek Online. LOL I paid for a lifetime subscription and haven't played since month one.  

13. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 19:03 The Half Elf

If Cryptic would put as much content into Champs as they did with City of Heroes AND Villains then it would be fine, but it's just not there.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 17:11 Kobalt

Yet another shitty mmo going free after no one wants to pay for it. I don't get why developers that obviously cant make a decent mmo like cryptic doesn't just design games with free to play in mind.  

11. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 17:10 Cutter

Too bad CO doesn't have any content.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 16:48 Fibrocyte

rist3903 wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 16:24:
WoW can still be fun after several years in existence and several years of playing.

Not for everybody. I for one am sick to death of it.

I'm sick of it, too, nowadays... but it had serious longevity.

I won't be playing the xpack in December.

9. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 16:24 rist3903

WoW can still be fun after several years in existence and several years of playing.

Not for everybody. I for one am sick to death of it.

8. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 16:11 Fibrocyte

rist3903 wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 15:33:
Fill in the blank was interesting at first but got boring over time due to repetitive fill in the blank.

MMOs in a nutshell.

Too general to be false. WoW can still be fun after several years in existence and several years of playing. CoH was a few months at best.

7. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 15:58 Mead

MMAdLibs  

6. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 15:33 rist3903

Fill in the blank was interesting at first but got boring over time due to repetitive fill in the blank.

MMOs in a nutshell.

5. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 14:41 Fibrocyte

CoH was interesting at first but got boring over time due to repetitive combat scenarios. I played the CO beta and didn't even find it initially interesting.  

4. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 13:59 JaguarUSF

Heh, heh, you said "CoX".  

3. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 12:33 Fion

I was in the beta and it was a decent MMOG. To me as a fan of City of Heroes/Villains (commonly referred to simply as CoX) it just felt as if the makers decided they wanted to do everything the CoX community had asked for over the years. Customizable powers, more travel powers, etc. But in doing this they lost the soul of what made CoX a great game in the first place.

I'll definitely give it another shot and see if things have improved. But I don't have a whole lot of hope. The micro-transaction MMOG model has been extremely successful for Turbine and a few other companies, so if the game is good enough these days, I'm sure it'll go over well.

2. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 12:18 AnarKane

Considering the wonderful lagfest that's been going on in the game over the last few days, and the belief of some of the dev team that it's "not that big of a deal", despite the fact that it's now five days without a fix, I have to wonder how well-timed this announcement is.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

1. Re: Champions Online Going Free-to-Play Oct 26, 2010, 11:11 Tumbler

Good move. I'll give it some time, played for an hour or two when they had that free weekend but there was nothing I wanted to pay for. (edit, nothing I wanted to pay $15 a month for) I can see spending a few dollars every once in a while though.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo