Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced

Massively reports that Global Agenda developer Hi-Rez Studios has acquired the rights to the TRIBES franchise, which is still beloved for its innovative first-person jetpack-powered teamplay. They point to an announcement about this on the Global Agenda Forums revealing development of a project called Tribes Universe, though registration is required just to view the post. Here's word:

While working through the design we kept coming back to one old and loved game that represented many of the concepts we where incorporating into the new game (Jetpacks, vehicles, large open space, three armor types, futuristic weapons, etc). Many of you will know this game as Tribes, the original on-line multiplayer shooter. As of now, HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchise.

We now have two groups in the studio, one working on continuing to build Global Agenda and a new group working on the Tribes Universe project. We are also moving to a new larger office space in another month that will help us accommodate our growth.

Iím sure many of you have questions, so here are a few quick highlights for Tribes Universe:

* Three Tribes (factions)
* Full clan (agency) support
* First person view (third person for some vehicles)
* Full vehicle support (ground and air)
* Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
* PvP focused
* Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
* Large scale fights (100+ players)
* Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing

Thanks for your support

Erez.

P.S. More information on Tribes Universe will be coming in the near future along with an Alpha/Beta registration web site."

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Nov 14, 2010, 03:53 Beaner

Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 11:08:
My basic point is that no mechanic in Tribes is unique enough on its own to really be able to stop anyone else from doing it without the Tribes name, the combination isn't unique enough to stop anyone from doing it without the Tribes name, Tribes one didn't really have atmosphere that distinguished it, and the backstory was stupid to the point that no one rememebers it and the attempt to flesh it out flopped.

People are taking offense to the term "generic," but from a legal standpoint it mostly is. Tribes was more than the sum of its parts, but its parts were all generic, with the potential exception of skiing

You are correct. Yes a lot of elements of Tribes can be found in other games now. Yes skiing was just a bug that was not intended. But that skiing bug is the magical element that made this game so special and still unique. It's become part of the game. The same way a rocket jump in quake became part of quake. Its not that other games couldnt employ jets and something called skiing. Its that none of them seem to understand the details of how that skiing movment worked that made it such a blast. Its called jump skiing. Its not ice skating (Tribes vengeance), it wasnt hover skiing (Legions). It was that unique combination of jetting, skiing and jumping that was "smooth" while keeping your momentum cosistent. You could carve, you could disc and bounce off objects. In both TV and Legions you could barely do any of that. Its the magical formula that I dont think any developer will be capable to emulate properly. Most do the ice skating hover thing and figure thats all there is to it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 30, 2010, 11:23 Jackplug

One of my all time fav memories was steppin out onto the edge of scarabrae for the 1st time and looking out over the edge. Troop carriers flying past me takin troops upto the enemy base, simpley amazing feeling of depth of gameplay with a floating base to top it off and flying over the hill towards the enemy base was breathe taking seeing it floatin in the air was nothing short of superb!!!

Someone puts that in a game and its making millions, although placing 100+ players also would be a huge mess. You can tell this game means alot and the community still shouts out what it wants and it isnt a stupid frigging mmo crap with 100+ players just spamming away...

If the devs dont listen they will only lose..

66. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 29, 2010, 11:08 Beamer

IP is far more than story. It's mechanics and atmosphere too, and just calling Tribes' implementation "generic" doesn't make it so. It's not generic as that list points out. Certainly those things can be replicated but so can those of any IP. So why treat Tribes any differently?

But you can rip mechanics and atmosphere off. It's been done hundreds of times and always will be.

My basic point is that no mechanic in Tribes is unique enough on its own to really be able to stop anyone else from doing it without the Tribes name, the combination isn't unique enough to stop anyone from doing it without the Tribes name, Tribes one didn't really have atmosphere that distinguished it, and the backstory was stupid to the point that no one rememebers it and the attempt to flesh it out flopped.

People are taking offense to the term "generic," but from a legal standpoint it mostly is. Tribes was more than the sum of its parts, but its parts were all generic, with the potential exception of skiing, something that was an unintended bug if I remember (was it found pre-launch? I didn't think so. I do remember initial previews discussing the game as a slow one where you shot lasers at each other from in the air, something the game turned mightily from.) Even still, other games could do skiing and not be Tribes and not be sued.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 28, 2010, 20:04 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 19:48:
Because it wasn't a big enough hit for anyone to really try?

Again, nothing you mentioned, nor what Jerykk mentioned, is IP related. It's all just gameplay and generic enough that if someone did it it would simply be a Tribes clone more than a direct ripoff.

The IP is the whole backstory, which matters not at all.

I agree with what you'r saying to an extent but with the IP also comes the brand and brand recognition. It's the reason this thread is now 65 posts long.

IP is far more than story. It's mechanics and atmosphere too, and just calling Tribes' implementation "generic" doesn't make it so. It's not generic as that list points out. Certainly those things can be replicated but so can those of any IP. So why treat Tribes any differently?

64. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 28, 2010, 19:48 Beamer

Oh yeah, so generic that nobody's come up with a good successor.

Tribes had a handful of things that made the game awesome:

1. Very skill-based. I agree with others, it was a hardcore shooter to begin with.

2. 95% of the mods were all server-side. You could jump onto a Renegades server, a base server, and a couple other servers without any downloads. It was all scripted on the server's side.

3. User scripts were unbelievably useful. Instant loadouts, mini-cameras that let you see who was in line at an inventory station, Tetris (not kidding), and the granddaddy of Tribes scripts:

4. Skiing. Ah the joys of a funky physics engine!

5. The maps don't need to be 100 kilometer squares. I think T1 maps were no more than 10 kilometers on a side, and that was plenty large for 32 player games. Just big enough to let you run around on the fringes of the map, but small enough that you were never really out of the action for too long.

6. Big games, but not too big. 100+ players sounds like a mess, not a good game. 16 players per side still let even pickup games form some team tactics and structure. Having 50 or 60 on a team sounds like general chaos to me.

Because it wasn't a big enough hit for anyone to really try?

Again, nothing you mentioned, nor what Jerykk mentioned, is IP related. It's all just gameplay and generic enough that if someone did it it would simply be a Tribes clone more than a direct ripoff.

The IP is the whole backstory, which matters not at all.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

63. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 28, 2010, 05:07 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 23:42:
You must have played Tribes in its early stages. Once skiing was discovered, vehicles were rendered useless. Well, on some maps and in the hands of very skilled players, Scouts were still useful for defense, but in general, vehicles were completely ignored. A heavy could ski across the map faster than the APC.

Towards the end in Tribes 1 scouts were more useful as missiles than actual transport. Slam one of those into a heavy at full speed while bailing at the last possible moment, and he's down to almost no health while you're unloading on him.

And while skiing was probably faster (especially on maps with some really steep hills to get some great speed on), porting 4 heavies and a pilot at the same time is an immense amount of firepower. We still used heavy APCs even in the midst of all the skiing.

Two best memories of Tribes: Spending an entire mission in Roller coaster I believe it was in heavy armor, racking up 70+ kills, in a kill derby with my friend. Every time they'd severely damage us we'd simply use a health pack. Nobody ever remembered health packs, so we were essentially invincible.

Second best memory: Playing Renegades, and smuggling a teleporter into a seldom-used corridor in the enemy base, and porting over 3 or 4 portable inventory stations and decking the corridor out with turrets to protect the beach head inside the enemy base. Talk about a massacre.

62. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 04:52 Jackplug

I completely agree with you Beaner...
why cant they just release a game to buy instead of an mmo game which wont last at all. 100+ players in the tribes realm will be boring if not laggy as fuck! Global Agenda is boring as hell and if they think they can just say oh lets make a game similar and put Tribes name infront of it they will want to play it.. NOT!

I played Tribes 1 to the death, cos i cant get windows 7 to work with it.. If they can see what the community wants, it would make good business sense to fill the boots of what "we" all want. Then why try to get us to pay monthly, surely that is a contradiction in its self. I see certain death, cos i wont be buyin it at all and I would see a good 99% of the old community doing just the same, they would rip it to bits like Tribes 2, flat, slow and boring.

61. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 01:53 Beaner

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 23:27:
This game was SO AHEAD OF IT'S TIME! I mean it had match making for a team on the front end, a great game locator/browser that companies like Valve/Steam finally figured out, 10 years later!

They had large amounts of players
Excellent network code!
Original, useful weapons
Kick ass equipment like the mini deployable turrets
Mortars and laser targeters
Quick command speech
Bad ass two player tanks!
The mobile HQ!

The game really stressed defense more than offense, scores were low, but man when someone scored it was like in a hockey game, AMAZING!

By far the most original and best FPS online game ever made and just doesn't get credit for it at all.

It was so ahead of its time its taken 20 years for the industry to catch up. Even with that, most big money developers havent a clue how beloved this game has been by many a gamer.

60. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 01:46 Beaner

I find it hard to get excited. Not that I wouldnt love to play a new Tribes game, but rather the concern they are building this on the unreal engine. Its the worst game engine for this game. Everything they are saying about how they are "optimizing" the unreal engine sounds exactly like a repeat of Irrational Games when they made Tribes vengeance on Unreal 2. Worst decison ever. Part of what made Tribes so awesome was the "smooth" physics and movment. So now you want to put it on the eye candy engine full of lag and chop? WTF. I hope to God Cornboy can deliver some MP goodness with Firefall. I have more faith in that game as long as Scott Youngblood is in control.  

59. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 27, 2010, 01:23 loomy

the only reason to buy this is because it was cheap. because all the previous owners found no success. the last group were those game website guys who were making a tribes web browser game. great success.  

58. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 26, 2010, 18:03 Linksil

God I hated heavies moving at super speeds across the maps... then I learned how to do it myself. ^_^ Good times... damn good times.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

57. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 26, 2010, 12:35 Jerykk

Oh, I played with skiing, but on large maps like Scarabrae, you're faster in the APC.

Eh..? I don't really see how you can say an APC was faster if you knew how to ski. A spinfusor was pretty much mandatory for every loadout anyway and heavies had what, 7 weapon slots?

56. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 26, 2010, 11:44 bhcompy

Oh, I played with skiing, but on large maps like Scarabrae, you're faster in the APC. Broadside, sure. But there was no APC in Broadside anyways. Heavies took forever to get going unless you equipped a spinfusor to give yourself a boost, and I hated wasting a spot for a spinfusor on a heavy  

55. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 23:42 Jerykk

That's showing Tribes using a mod. There is no way that you could get that high up using base Tribes.

No, that's not a mod. That's all Base. Maybe some LT, but that has no impact on physics or weapon/item balance. The beauty of Tribes 1 was that there were no limits. You could go wherever you wanted as fast you wanted, provided you have sufficient skill and planning. That said, it really isn't difficult to fly that high in T1. For an example, load up Scarabrae, ski around to gain lots of momentum, then disc jump during a steep ascent. You'll fly so high that you won't be able to see the ground anymore.

I don't think so. The scout was a great platform for flagrunning like in Rollercoast and the APCs were necessary for transporting heavies around(not to mention the awesomeness of having a portable mortar platform)

You must have played Tribes in its early stages. Once skiing was discovered, vehicles were rendered useless. Well, on some maps and in the hands of very skilled players, Scouts were still useful for defense, but in general, vehicles were completely ignored. A heavy could ski across the map faster than the APC.

I think these various responses really exemplify the difficulty in making a Tribes sequel. Depending on when you played it, how long you played it and what (if any) mods you used, the experience was wildly different. And that's just for Tribes 1. Each Tribes game essentially had its own community with little to no overlap between games. People who loved T1 hated T2. People who loved T2 hated T:V. It's impossible to make a sequel that would satisfy everyone.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2010, 23:49.

54. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 23:27 Surf

This game was SO AHEAD OF IT'S TIME! I mean it had match making for a team on the front end, a great game locator/browser that companies like Valve/Steam finally figured out, 10 years later!

They had large amounts of players
Excellent network code!
Original, useful weapons
Kick ass equipment like the mini deployable turrets
Mortars and laser targeters
Quick command speech
Bad ass two player tanks!
The mobile HQ!

The game really stressed defense more than offense, scores were low, but man when someone scored it was like in a hockey game, AMAZING!

By far the most original and best FPS online game ever made and just doesn't get credit for it at all.

53. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 18:08 Sepharo

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 18:07:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 00:44:
Lol wut. T3 was by far the complete opposite of T2 and much faster than T1. Vehicles were borderline useless because you can get around maps so quickly with just your jetback.

T:V was definitely not faster than T1. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAaixGw27o&feature=related

That's showing Tribes using a mod. There is no way that you could get that high up using base Tribes.

That's the only way I've ever seen it. Like someone pointed out earlier mods were server sided so I probably didn't notice if it was actually a mod.

52. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 18:07 Steele Johnson

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 00:44:
Lol wut. T3 was by far the complete opposite of T2 and much faster than T1. Vehicles were borderline useless because you can get around maps so quickly with just your jetback.

T:V was definitely not faster than T1. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAaixGw27o&feature=related

51. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 17:39 sc4r4b

Seriously, no one here has had a good experience with GA?

I like it but I can't get my friends to play it with me. The lack of 4 man groups in PVP kinda killed it for us.

50. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 15:51 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 15:32:
Better yet, keep vehicles out of Tribes entirely. They are completely redundant given the mobility and firepower that players already possess.

I don't think so. The scout was a great platform for flagrunning like in Rollercoast and the APCs were necessary for transporting heavies around(not to mention the awesomeness of having a portable mortar platform)

49. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 15:32 Jerykk

The problem with Tribes 2 was that they would add an unbalanced weapon, then create another weapon to balance that, which in turn would be unbalanced so they had to create another weapon for that.

For example, in T2, they added overpowered shields to everything, especially vehicles because they wanted vehicles to play an essential role in the game (unlike in T1). Unfortunately, this resulted in vehicles that were basically impossible to take out unless an entire team was focusing their fire on it. So, they created a lock-on missile launcher. This worked well against vehicles but it also worked well against everything else, including other players, so everyone wearing heavy and medium armor would always use it. So then they created flare grenades in order to counter the lock-on missiles. This worked well enough but it rendered the other grenade types useless, as everyone had to equip flares or else be massacred by the lock-on missile spam.

Moral of this story: If you have to have vehicles, don't give them shields kthx. Better yet, keep vehicles out of Tribes entirely. They are completely redundant given the mobility and firepower that players already possess.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo