Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks

Steam is now offering pre-purchases of Call of Duty: Black Ops in advance of the release of the military shooter sequel on November 9. Valve also confirms the game will be using Steamworks for various functions, saying:

In addition to leveraging Steamworks' Auto-Updating, Achievements, and more, Call of Duty: Black Ops will support Steamworks Cloud technology. The PC version of the product will be powered with Steamworks for both the digital and tangible versions of the game and, as with all Steamworks titles, offline play will also be supported.

"We are delighted to be delivering the year's most anticipated title with Black Ops to PC gamers around the world," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "We've collaborated with the development team to leverage the Steamworks suite of services to deliver the highest level of service to Call of Duty: Black Ops PC customers."

"Steam has been a great partner throughout development of Black Ops," said Mark Lamia, president of Treyarch. "We're working closely together to take full advantage of Steamworks to ensure we deliver the most polished and secure PC experience that our community deserves."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 28, 2010, 22:15 Dev

necrosis wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:08:
Not that im all that big on CE's anymore, I love how the PC version never get a CE edition anymore.
Fallout new vegas did. There's been some others, but you are right, more and more CE's only hit consoles. How hard is it to make some PC CE when all the components are already being manufactured anyway?

I mean heck, they could even throw in the PC version for free if you buy the console version (of the CE). I doubt many people buy both CE's at release, and console version is already more expensive. Then they wouldn't have to make a separate SKU, and they could count on more sales, plus it would be more readily available at retail since places like gamestop stop far more console games. Like they could make a deluxe xbox collectors edition and your "free bonus" is the PC version thrown in.

I'm speaking generically about CE's not about this particular game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 23, 2010, 15:26 SpectralMeat

DangerDog wrote on Oct 23, 2010, 01:18:
Some youtube videos of raw gameplay (on consoles)
All those videos are removed.

Steam: SpectralMeat

42. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 23, 2010, 04:44 xXBatmanXx

I REALLY wish they would add recoil to the game.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

41. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 23, 2010, 01:18 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 20:34:
Was going to be an autobuy for me - can anyone point out it is only 9v9 on ranked servers? What a waste of "dedicated servers".

If that is the case, I will be passing on this one also....which is sad, as I saw gungame and other game modes and the fact that it isn't IW as a plus.....sucks.

This is what I've found so far, they haven't confirmed the 9v9 for ranked play but if you look at the map size breakdown they're not doing you any favor by upping it to say 12v12.

Some youtube videos of raw gameplay (on consoles)

*SPOILER ALERT*
I know all the call of duty black ops maps.
There are 14 multiplayer maps by default.
There are different sizes, small, medium and large.
I would post the video here, but it got taken off youtube because of copyright.
and you probably think im bullshitting but its true.
if i can find a video ill post it here.
Anyways these are the MP maps names:

ARRAY - Snow cowered map,good for sniping
CRACKED - Town ruins
CRISIS - Cuban jungle
FIRING RANGE - Military practice facility
GRID - Russian power grid
HANOI - Prison camp
HAVANA - City streets
JUNGLE - Jungle warfare,vertical gameplay
LAUNCH - Huge rocket silo
NUKETOWN - Nuke testing are
RADIATION - Nuclear plant
SUMMIT - Snowy mountains,research facility
VILLA - Cuban estate
WMD - Old soviet base

Large Maps
- Cracked, this map has been shown off before by both leaked beta footage and normally released videos. The map is themed around the streets of Vietnam.
- Jungle. Recently shown off for the first time, the map appears to have a lot of vertical options with wooden walkways etc.
- Array, itís a large snow covered map and currently not much is known about it.

Medium Maps
- Grid is a Russian based power grid and apparently has many strategic spots for epic gun fights.
- Havana, rather obviously is a Cuban city area that will mean lots of street level gunfights.
- Crisis is themed around Cuba and is a Cuban themed base and has both an indoor and outdoor section.
- Hanoi is a NVA prison camp although little else is known about this map.
- Summit is the snowy map from the multiplayer trailer. The buildings are part of a research facility that players will most likely see in single player.
- Villa is an urban estate which has long corridors possibly like the corridor side of Estate from MW2.
- Radiation is an operating plant most likely nuclear from the name.
- WMD is an old Soviet base and is apparently a well balanced map and suitable to most classes.
- Launch is the large space rocket facility map where the rocket actually takes off during the multiplayer match. This map featured in the multiplayer trailer when the crossbow with explosive dart was used.

Small Maps
- Nuketown is a nuclear testing ground although currently unclear which countries testing ground.
- Firing Range is the last map and as the name suggests is a military shooting range; expect lots of close quarter shooting in this map

40. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 23, 2010, 01:08 Trevellian

Bucky wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 23:11:
Elessar wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 22:37:
As an avid PC gamer, this doesn't bother me one bit. As long as there are a few servers I can return to and there is a community I'm happy. Matchmaking and p2p hosting felt so disconnected and fake.

Also, I love that ranked is maxed at 9v9. Less spam, spawn kills and allows for more strategic movement.

I'm of the same opinion. While I'd prefer true dedicated servers (or at least several hosting companies) I'm not too bothered by it. Heck, I've have trouble finding servers I like for TF2; more isn't always better.

IF 9v9 ranked is true, that's great news. I've been irritated by the constant increase in player counts for multi over the years. I've always preferred smaller, more tactical matches. Of course, the lack of proper mutliplayer has helped pull max player counts down, but that wasn't how I'd hoped it would happen.

And so begins, yet again, my love/hate relationship with the CoD series.

I agree with both of you. And I love smaller matches... but I take it to the extreme. I still prefer the ages of playing Doom on Dwango with turbo set to 200 and only 4 people in a match. I miss the small intimate 4 player Deathmatches

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

39. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 23:45 TheVocalMinority

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:11:
People accept this corporate control though, so what can you do.

Not accept it perhaps? You after all are one of the "people".

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

38. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 23:11 Bucky

Elessar wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 22:37:
As an avid PC gamer, this doesn't bother me one bit. As long as there are a few servers I can return to and there is a community I'm happy. Matchmaking and p2p hosting felt so disconnected and fake.

Also, I love that ranked is maxed at 9v9. Less spam, spawn kills and allows for more strategic movement.

I'm of the same opinion. While I'd prefer true dedicated servers (or at least several hosting companies) I'm not too bothered by it. Heck, I've have trouble finding servers I like for TF2; more isn't always better.

IF 9v9 ranked is true, that's great news. I've been irritated by the constant increase in player counts for multi over the years. I've always preferred smaller, more tactical matches. Of course, the lack of proper mutliplayer has helped pull max player counts down, but that wasn't how I'd hoped it would happen.

And so begins, yet again, my love/hate relationship with the CoD series.

37. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 22:37 Elessar

ASeven wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 13:02:
Xirix wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 13:00:
I admit I havn't done any research...will there be dedicated servers this time?

Rented, and only one GSP to rent from.

New policy, monetize dedis from PC gamers. It seems Brink will also go down this line as well.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2010, 22:43.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

36. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 21:03 Verno

- However, all dedicated servers must be rented through gameservers.com only

Automatic do not buy then. GameServers sucks and having no price competition for dedicated servers is even worse. How can they fuck up such a simple thing? People just want dedicated server binaries, hand them out and fucking forget the rest.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

35. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 20:34 xXBatmanXx

Was going to be an autobuy for me - can anyone point out it is only 9v9 on ranked servers? What a waste of "dedicated servers".

If that is the case, I will be passing on this one also....which is sad, as I saw gungame and other game modes and the fact that it isn't IW as a plus.....sucks.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 20:28 RaZ0r!

Pre-ordered on Steam! Can't wait!  

33. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 20:07 SM0k3

I want this game but not for 60 bones -- PC Gaming hasn't exactly been great lately. A lot of botched releases and complete company failures and among that; Duke Nukem Forever is finally being released. Pigs are flying, hell is freezing over, and it's the end of the wooooorld as we know it.....and I feel fine.

32. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 19:33 KilrathiAce

All this for a crappy game, oh well lolz  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

31. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 16:43 ASeven

Won't be getting this one. Dedicated servers which really aren't is not my cup of tea, and as someone said nobody still really knows the extent we'll be able to mod stuff.

Homefront will have public server files though, so that's the mainstream game I'm looking for the most. This... one GSP only at those rent prices is simply too much but people will buy this. In fact I think this will sell more on the PC than MW2 ever did just because they use the magic words dedicated servers despite the fact the game has almost as many restrictions as MW2, and looks the same as well.

30. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 16:15 DangerDog

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 16:00:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:58:
Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:04:
Does this have real dedicated servers now or is it still that bullshit "you can only get one through gameservers.com"?

gameservers.com only

I don't think it's changed from the last announcement, ranked gameplay is 9v9.

wait wait wait... ranked MP is 9vs9?

PC Specifics
- Will include a server browser
- Will not be IW.net 2.0 and will not use P2P for matches like in MW2
- However, all dedicated servers must be rented through gameservers.com only
- Anti-Cheat will be Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC)
- DRM will be handled by Steamworks
-- Yes, this means the PC version will all be run through Steam
- Ranked servers allow you to customize/select the map only
-- 18 players max (UNCONFIRMED)
- Unranked servers will allow for "full customization"
-- 24 players max (UNCONFIRMED)

It's "unconfirmed" but the maps will be too small to handle more players without it turning into a spam fest.

DLC will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 and then released "later" on other platforms

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=479305

29. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 16:02 Dr. D. Schreber

kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:48:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:26:
necrosis wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:00:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 13:23:
And for the record, FOV 110 is best.
For 16:10.

4:3

John 17:3?

Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

28. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 16:00 ColoradoHoudini

DangerDog wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:58:
Does this have real dedicated servers now or is it still that bullshit "you can only get one through gameservers.com"?

gameservers.com only

wait wait wait... ranked MP is 9vs9?

27. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 15:58 DangerDog

gameservers.com only

26. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 15:48 Kxmode

bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:26:
necrosis wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:00:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 13:23:
And for the record, FOV 110 is best.
For 16:10.

4:3

John 17:3?

25. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 15:11 StingingVelvet

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:05:
That wasn't the case with FO:NV, Steam wouldn't even let you install a retail disk copy until the Steam version was unlocked.
That is weird.
There were some threads regarding this issue on the BO forum and I believe the final word from Steam mod was that the you will be able to unlock the retail version of the game on release day after midnight.
Not really confirming anything, and these unlocking times are always iffy with Steam games. I wouldn't line up for midnight release for the PC version until Steam confirms that you can activate and install the retail version on the 9th @ midnight

Yeah, it's BS. I got Civilization 5 at midnight because amazon screwed up release-date delivery and having it in my hands on release day but not being able to install it was just murder. It's not like 10 more hours killed me, it was just the principle of the thing.

People accept this corporate control though, so what can you do.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo