Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 17:24 VoodooV

why don't they stop beating about the bush and give up any pretense that you are buying anything and make it so that you merely rent the console.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 15:52 Bhruic

Many of the large media companies also have stakes in the backhaul and residential ISPs

Yeah, it's very annoying. Up here, one of the major ISPs recently introduced an HD movie/tv option. With that, they are competing with stuff like Netflix. At the same time, they also decreased the monthly bandwidth caps. Oh, but of course, if you sign up for their movie/tv option, those don't count towards your cap. Nice way to try and fuck over Netflix. And us, of course.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 14:23 Verno

I'm sure that's a large part of it, another being people either aren't aware of the functionality or cannot configure it. I went to a friends place recently and he asked me to setup his PS3's wi-fi settings. He's owned the thing for a year and is just now getting it online, the only reason hes doing so? Roster updates for an EA game, of course. Otherwise I think he would have never bothered to get the thing online. The mass market isn't stupid but let's call it ignorant instead  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 12:40 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 09:33:
I remember reading some study Microsoft commissioned that 60% of Xbox360's sold never go online at all. That was three years ago so I'm sure the numbers have changed but if you look at their XBL numbers, you can see that going online only would be nothing short of disastrous for their business model.

Part of the problem with that is that the 360 is not wifi capable without a 70$+ adapter. The 360 in my sons room does not have the internet because I'm not going to drag a cat5 cable across 2 rooms and the hall. He plays online on his PS3 instead

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 11:11 Verno

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 11:05:
Entertainment going digital would force ISPs to change,

In North America, it's actually going in the opposite direction. Many of the large media companies also have stakes in the backhaul and residential ISPs, they are basically double dipping on overages and the content itself. Some are also trying to sustain outdated cable revenue models by using overages to choke adoption of streaming media and downloadable content in general.

Eventually the market will force this to change but it could take a long time as it's a market that is incredibly difficult for competitors to enter. You need to spend literally billions in capital assets to even enter the market at all and that's without going into the complexity of municipal agreements and permits to build/trench/etc. Resale is a non-starter due to being on the same backhauls.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 11:05 Beamer

Entertainment going digital would force ISPs to change,  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 10:54 Kxmode

What the Piano Man wants the Piano Man gets.  

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 10:05 necrosis

Two words. Bandwidth Caps.

That alone will kill any kind of downloading because no one will be able to pull a full game. I already know people that I play with online that can not use services like Steam because of monthly limits and insane overage charges.

Let alone speed. My current max is ~750KB/sec (tho strangely according to Steam, and only Steam, I can get up to 2MB/sec for long periods of time).

As #2 poser said there is no way in hell this can happen unless ISP's get 1) cheeper, 2) more available, 3) less anal on monthly caps.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 09:33 Verno

I remember reading some study Microsoft commissioned that 60% of Xbox360's sold never go online at all. That was three years ago so I'm sure the numbers have changed but if you look at their XBL numbers, you can see that going online only would be nothing short of disastrous for their business model.

Going disc-less makes no sense for Sony either, they need the PS3/PS4 to continue to drive Blu-Ray adoption as the players aren't exactly flying the off the shelves thanks to things like Netflix and Hulu.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 09:28 Beamer

p.s. The new consoles are not 5 years away. We'll have new ones in 2.5 years.

Well, 3 years. 2.5 would put them out in May or so. It'll be 3, because they'll show up August through October.

But yeah, 5 years is the old information. 5 years is what companies were expecting a year and a half ago. In 2010 they pretty much all reevaluated that.

And I'd be shocked if we went discless. So many people are claiming it, but it makes no sense. We don't have enough people in the US with broadband, let alone many of the countries rising in buying power. Yes, a huge chunk of 360s are online, but to go discless you need to assume all those not online aren't for a reason and therefore will be lost sales.

We're not there yet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 09:02 xXBatmanXx

They will HAVE to have drives - just look at the volume of console games you have now - there is NO WAY you could fit all of your games even on a TB of space. On top of that, to keep up with PC gaming, the rig will have to support a lot more content (ie BluRay or something similar).

The answer is not 100% DLC.
I can't believe people even buy full games on xbox or ps3, you can get them used at half.com or any other outlet for 50% than what they sell online. It is pure rape.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 08:33 Verno

I find it hard to believe Sony won't want a Blu-Ray drive in the PS4.  

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 08:16 avianflu

No reason _not_ to have an optical drive from virtually any perspective, except perhaps that of preventing piracy and used game sales.

p.s. The new consoles are not 5 years away. We'll have new ones in 2.5 years.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 04:08 xXBatmanXx

Blitz: No discs for PS4/Xbox720.

That will be the end of console gaming for me.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Blitz: No discs for PS4/Xbox720. Oct 22, 2010, 01:20 Mcboinkens

I don't know, pretty many people use Steam for downloading purposes only. They'd definitely have an audience large enough to sustain them. I mean, your internet connection may not be fast right not but in 5 years I think we'll be maxing out the capabilities of fiber optics.

"A target of 100MB broadband for 40% of the UK by 2012 was set by a member of the BSG."

100mb/s would put most games to shame data wise. Plus, at that speed, it wouldnt hurt to just delete the local files after you were done with the game. It would only take a few mintes to completely reinstall.

3. Re: Blitz: No discs for PS4/Xbox720. Oct 22, 2010, 01:15 Creston

“But the next range of consoles that will be out in the next five years, why would any of those need physical media? Why would they want physical media? If you've got it physically and you trade it, the hardware manufacturer just lost out, big time.

“When they produce their next console - let's call it Sony Next, it could be any platform holder Next – if they make it only a digital store, they absolutely control everything. Pricing, their margins, you can't trade it second hand.

“Their logistics and overheads come down considerably. The cost of manufacture of the original console comes down considerably. The reliability goes through the roof because there are no moving parts. Why would they not?”

Because there are plenty of people, like me, who can't download 10+ gig games on a whim? Basically this guy is saying "Why wouldn't they make a console that would immediately make all of rural america utterly uninterested in their product?"

I love when people make comments by generalizing that everybody has the exact same circumstances as they do.

Creston

2. Re: Blitz: No discs for PS4/Xbox720. Oct 22, 2010, 00:45 mag

There are many ridiculous things about going discless.

First: Aren't some of the PS3's games bordering on using most of a BluRay disc? Isn't that 25GB? I can see the nextgen games wanting to use a double-layer one. 50GB? The average broadband speed in the US is 4mbps... Even at twice that, that's more than ten hours to download a game.

Second: Many countries have download caps, and ISPs are trying to bring that to the US, too. One or two games and you've used up all you get this month. Awesome.

Third: The bandwidth required to do a launch (barring Steam-esque preloading, but I don't know if the consoles would want to do something like that). Two million people wanting to buy Halo 18 on launch day? At 10mbps each? Internet explodes.

Maybe I'm full of shit, though.

1. Blitz: No discs for PS4/Xbox720. Oct 22, 2010, 00:03 jdreyer

I think the next gen consoles will still have an optical drive. Sony, MS, etc. will still put them in to allow people to play legacy games and watch movies from people's collection of DVDs and BRDs. They may offer drive-less consoles, but will still offer ones with drives too.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo