Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My Sirius radio is on the fritz lately: Sometimes it works fine for lengthy stretches, but at other times, like today, it will repeatedly cut out with an "check Sirius tuner" message that indicates this is not an antenna issue. Switching my receiver off and on again sometimes fixes it, but today is one of those days it doesn't want to stay on for more than 10 seconds at a stretch. The thing is, I only have it to listen to Howard Stern, and with it sounding ever more likely that he's not going to be there after about a month from now, it's not worth getting another radio, as if I wanted to listen to over-compressed music I could just stream it over the internet.

R.I.P.: Penthouse founder Bob Guccione dies of cancer. Thanks nin.

Serious Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: In3structoTank. Thanks Daniel.
Steak and Jake: Midnight March.
Pumpkin Remover 2.
Links: The 13 Best Geek Halloween Costumes.
TV Shows That Need to Be Taken off the Air.
9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010. Only "guilty" of #5.
Stories: Sperm donors 'deserve greater recognition'.
Togo's fake national soccer team. Thanks Neatorama.
Lady Gaga Was in 'The Sopranos'. Thanks nin.
Science: Astronomers spot most distant galaxy in space (so far!).
Gene linked to depression 'fixed' in mice.
'Unsafe' drug found in herbal tea.
Images: A Gallery of Marvel Superheroes Decked Out in Tron Gear.
This is PAINTING!
Media: Tim Burton's Haunting Short 'Vincent'.
Chewie gets Lifetime Achievement Award.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
How to pet a kitty - The Oatmeal.
A Delicate Ecosystem - Savage Chickens.
Follow-ups: Six Months After BP Explosion- 11 Devastated Families.
Efforts to Prosecute Blackwater Are Collapsing (registration required).
US man guilty of urging attack on South Park writers.
Tributes paid to Happy Days actor Tom Bosley.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: 9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010 Oct 22, 2010, 11:10 xXBatmanXx

I agree 100% - but I try and lock down damn near everything I can.
I actually see the largest incompetence in the populous being gullible and being scammed....and the cops can't do shat for them bc the transaction occurred over state lines - and the actual crime happened somewhere else (the scammer's home address). Anyway. It is a mess. I agree.

I use a nice spreadsheet and have monthly tabs and linked, etc etc etc and do the same thing in a easy to read/understand form. Of course, I did super advanced spreadsheet work for 5+ years before this, so I am comfortable with it. I get % by groups, by month, etc, etc, etc. I don't need all the fancy colors and graphs.

My small amount of money is way easier than the millions I was in control of....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: 9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010 Oct 22, 2010, 09:38 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 09:10:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 20:28:
#1, #2, #7, and a huge #9

Using Mint.com is scary when you eat that much fast food.

Wow - I think what is more scary is that you trust them with all of your info.....

You can upload transaction files to them instead if you don't want them accessing your information. It's not like you're giving them withdrawal permission on your accounts or something. My bank limits online transactions and has internal triggers for transactions over a certain amount. I'm not terribly concerned about it, I just don't give them access to any "serious" accounts. It's quite useful for a regular checking/expense account, really helps you nail down your spending. If you're worried about your lifes savings then don't add that account

You trust your bank in real life with all of that information and believe me, it's no more secure. As a cop I'm sure you see the gross incompetence surrounding the bank industry all the time. A friend of mine worked as a contractor for TD Bank and despite all of their annoying hoops that he had to run through to get the gig, their internal security was nothing short of a joke when it comes to IT.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

34. Re: 9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010 Oct 22, 2010, 09:10 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 20:28:

Wow - I think what is more scary is that you trust them with all of your info.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2010, 08:34 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 15:46:
. I guess BMW may have sensors that check the oil level and quality?

creston

I think most 2009+ cars do these days. I know my Ford Fusion has it. It also has tire pressure sensors but those don't seem to work in any car.

My 2006 Caddy has an Engine oil life meter. It tells me how much percentage/life is left on my motor oil.

From what I've read online and some tech sites, it isn't a strict mileage thing. They factor in cold starts, how hard you work the engine, and a bunch of other stuff (including mileage).

But that was from 2006. Maybe now they have a purity sensor or something.

My dealer recommends changing it every 6k miles.
The sensor (with my driving) usually says to do it every 7.5k-8k miles.

I do it at 6k because as it is, it takes me about 10 months to reach even 6k miles.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2010, 04:43 xXBatmanXx

1,5, and 9.

When I am in an area that I am not famaliar with, I don't drink their water. I have had the luxury of having great water in the burbs (well) and now Minneapolis water is rated pretty well and tastes good - so oh well.

The oil change thing - My veh just went off of warranty, so I will be tripiling my milegae to 9k miles between changes. I was buying oil changes in "buy 3 and get 2 free" so I didn't mind anyway.

Howard Stern - meh. Never was interested in shock jock stuff. He found a way to make lots of money, and I think that is great for him. But between him and the O/A show - just never appealed to me. We have some pretty good radio here in MPLS. Other than that - the best investments I ever made (was XM BEFORE the merger - then canclled when they got rid of Fungus 53) was a cd deck in my vehicles that also has USB port on the front. I use thumb drives with MP3s.

31. Re: 9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010 Oct 22, 2010, 00:33 Prez

Only guilty of the energy drink one. It's easy for someone who doesn't suffer from chronic fatigue to say "Go to bed earlier", but I can sleep for 12 hours and still have no energy during the day. Since ephedrine has been banned and I hate coffee, 5-Hour-Energy is part of every meal for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: 9 Top Ways We Waste Money 2010 Oct 21, 2010, 20:28 Sepharo

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 20:02 Pankin

Blue wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 11:34:
He has repeatedly stated he'd like to continue working, however he has a lot of complaints, including too much work (in spite of cutting back to 4 days and all his vacation time)

You've probably heard this before but here it is anyway.

I have so many old recordings of Howard back when he was on XRK (you know, back when he was funny) that I no longer miss having Sirius. Plus with Artie gone, it's really really unfunny.

He was a pioneer though. Gotta give 'em that.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 19:05 jimnms

creston

I think most 2009+ cars do these days. I know my Ford Fusion has it. It also has tire pressure sensors but those don't seem to work in any car.
European cars have had them for a while. My 2005 Jetta doesn't have one, but the same model & year car sold in Europe has it. The US manual recommends 10k or 1 year oil changes, but the same car in Europe says to do it when the light comes on or every 2 years. I've heard of people getting the parts and installing them in their cars. Apparently the electronics and software are all there, it just lacks the sensors.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Out of the Blue - Wasting money Oct 21, 2010, 18:19 Creston

ProfMike wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 16:46:
Guilty of #4. I just can't find a gas station which doesn't have Ethanol (10% and I read it's going up to 15%) in everything but their Premium. It costs me 3%-5% more money at the pump but I get 10% better mileage. That's a bargain in my book! So am I really wasting money?

I think Valero's gas is still 100% gas rather than 10% Ethanol. Shell's used to be, but they've since switched onto the Ethanol system too. which is annoying, because my mower runs FAR better on gas that has no ethanol in it.

As for whether you're wasting money, eh... It probably works out about equally in mileage vs cost.

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 18:17 Creston

creston

Mine does. Works great too.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 18:15 Cutter

Thanks for bringing my dream of Whore Island to life, Bob!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: Out of the Blue - Wasting money Oct 21, 2010, 16:46 ProfMike

Guilty of #4. I just can't find a gas station which doesn't have Ethanol (10% and I read it's going up to 15%) in everything but their Premium. It costs me 3%-5% more money at the pump but I get 10% better mileage. That's a bargain in my book! So am I really wasting money?  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 15:46 Verno

creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 15:20 Kxmode

Penthouse founder Bob Guccione dies of cancer. Thanks nin.

Yesterday the Happy Days guy. Today the founder of Penthouse. nin I'm starting to believe you have a Dexter personality. And why are you encouraging nin Blue? Don't you know killing is wrong?

21. Re: Not guilty of Number 5 since BMW showed me the light Oct 21, 2010, 15:00 Creston

Steelcamp wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 13:58:
I change the oil about every 7500 miles BUT BMW showed me that an oil change can wait until 10k+ if you use the right oil. They told me not to get the oil changed until my car told me to.
Spooky!!!

Yeah, if you use synthetic motor oil, that'll easily last 10K. I put synthetic in my Mazda at 5K and it's now at 15K and still running fine.

Waiting until your car tells you to seems freaky though. usually your car tells you your oil is bad/gone by destroying your engine. I guess BMW may have sensors that check the oil level and quality?

creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 14:58 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 14:27:
Best watched monday night back then was probably a 1.8 in the 18-49 dude. And yes the fan efforts are what saved it according to the creator and they came with the caveat that they lose some cast members and reduce expenses significantly. Some members of the main cast went around publicly drumming up support for the show even. I know this because I like Chuck and follow the show I just know it's always had mediocre ratings and been a bubble show ever since the first season ended. Unfortunately we are a niche my friend! Thankfully we got too close to season five/syndication for them to cancel it now.

I mean, seriously, do you really think that they'd keep a show on because of "fan effort?"

It's actually happened many times over the years, so yes. The most recent examples I can think of are Chuck and Jericho. A better question would be "do you think a fan effort would work with Fox?" and the answer would be a big no It took 20 million dvd sales of Family Guy to convince Fox even.

Alright, it's not like I really care one way or the other.

I've enjoyed Chuck, but this season is just dull. Nothing's happening. The show was much better before Chuck became an actual spy, and with Chuck and Sarah together, there's no awkward relationship shit anymore either. Now it's like watching Ross and Rachel bickering. *shudders*

Fox will NEVER keep a show on the air if it doesn't make them xxxx million dollars, but I didn't think any of the other networks were any better. Dollars rule. Unfortunately.

Maybe one day an exec will realize that giving a show a run of 13 episodes in its first season, and SHOWING all those episodes, gives people a chance to become fans. Rather than shitcanning it after 2 episodes because nobody watched it.

Which is the main reason I just don't watch anything new anymore.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 14:51 Atomic

Chuck needs to ditch the BuyMore and the BuyMore nerds. Every time they are on screen, I cringe. And what a stupid premise they used to bring them back.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 14:27 Verno

Best watched monday night back then was probably a 1.8 in the 18-49 dude. And yes the fan efforts are what saved it according to the creator and they came with the caveat that they lose some cast members and reduce expenses significantly. Some members of the main cast went around publicly drumming up support for the show even. I know this because I like Chuck and follow the show I just know it's always had mediocre ratings and been a bubble show ever since the first season ended. Unfortunately we are a niche my friend! Thankfully we got too close to season five/syndication for them to cancel it now.

I mean, seriously, do you really think that they'd keep a show on because of "fan effort?"

It's actually happened many times over the years, so yes. The most recent examples I can think of are Chuck and Jericho. A better question would be "do you think a fan effort would work with Fox?" and the answer would be a big no It took 20 million dvd sales of Family Guy to convince Fox even.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2010, 14:10 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 13:09:
It's still pulling in good amounts of viewers, even though this season nothing has really happened yet

Huh? Chuck gets very mediocre numbers and pretty much always has past season 1, they just have literally nothing else to replace it with. It's been on the bubble every year and needed a huge fan effort just to get a third season at all. At this point though they've gone far enough that it makes more financial sense holding out for syndication but season five will definitely be it's last.

Not according to NBC, it didn't. I'm not going to go dig for the article, but they said that during season 3 it became their best-watched show.

When they were still waffling over their monday night lineup for this season, the ONE thing that was already set in it was Chuck.

That said, it should end soon because this season has been pretty bad, and they're rerunning gags and settings. It's obvious the writers have no clue what to do with the arc anymore.

Creston

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo