Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Game Reviews Oct 20, 2010, 16:37 Quicksilver

I haven't had any technical issues in the first 12 hours of gameplay.
One thing though... I used to have crashes in FO3 ALL THE TIME (drove me nuts, stopped playing for a while, googled like hell) until I found the obscure forum post that changed everything;

In the launcher, click on Video settings, then Advanced and in the water tab, the last setting, something about multi sampling... TURN THAT TO LOW

Never had issues after that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 23:25 Verno

Game has been smooth sailing performance wise with everything on ultra and I haven't really seen anything but minor bugs so far. I knew about the save bug before hand and disabled mouse acceleration and changed the FoV to 95. Honestly it's really good, the writing and characters are far better than FO3. Smaller map but less dead space, there is a ton of stuff to do. I'm sure I'll run into Gamebryo crap at some point but for the most part it seems to be fine.

I love a good dogpile as much as the next person but Obsidian actually did alright here.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

33. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 22:54 xXBatmanXx

And with all games of this nature, save save SAVE SAVE SAVE!

Was a moron and ran into a fight that I knew I wouldn't win - then forgot I was roaming for about 30 minutes since last save....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 22:52 xXBatmanXx

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'

Had a solid 8.5 hour game session with a freeze in the first 2 hours, but then smooth sailing from there.

Bugs I ran into:
1. Was fighting a poweder kegger outside and he moved about 30 feet away in a warp to attack a scorpion. No big deal, found him quickly and killed him in the back.
2. Same situation, he had a buddy, that I could hear and was on my map, but he was BELOW the gaming surface. I could see his head, but not shoot him. No biggie, just left him alone.

For 8.5 hours, 20 towns, and level 5, I would say that is pretty damn good. I found some of those magazines that jump you 10 pts, which is fine, as there are things even early on that require a pretty high ability.

I have gone around a ton and made my way to areas I probably shouldn't be at my level, but having a great time. Having a hard time deciding waht to do at Primm.....SST even though it isn't ruinging anything:

Sheriff:
Robot?
Military?
Ex Con?

The Military doesn't seem to care abuot the people, so f that - I still need to go talk to the Con, to see how he feels, but...
.....I think the Robot is the coolest idea.

That was the first "story branch" that I have run into, and seems like I did a lot of missions already. What a great game.

Very happy about my purchase.
I can already see things I will do different on next playthrough.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 22:39 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 20:00:
Ratty wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 15:18:
OK, just had my first crash after an hour of playing. The other bug is so senseless: Doesn't seem to be any way to change graphic settings. At the first menu you can change things like resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. but the changes are ignored. When you then go into the game to play the settings are what they were originally. How could this have gotten past QA? Luckily my machine can handle the somewhat high settings. It's a little rough but still playable.
Welcome to steam. You know the PoS that everyone raves about being good? Yeah. Well, you can change your graphics but you need to be in offline mode, otherwise steam will turn around and overwrite the file even if it's read-only.

*that file is FalloutPrefs.ini

Oh, and steam is fucking around with archiveinvalidation(if you don't have a clue what that is...well stop reading). As it stands right now, you can't mod anything that modifies textures/meshes/menus/shaders/mips or anything else without steam going lalala fuck you, and either force-reverting or locking up the game.

The first one has to be a bug. As for Archiveinvalidation, jesus, are we back to that shit again? How many more times do we need to keep messing with that?

Creston

30. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 21:49 space captain

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 21:36:
Ok Creston and the rest of ya, I CALLED IT! I called it I called it I CALLED IT!

Mwahaha

Go forth, and kill!

29. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 21:36 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 14:00:
ASeven wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 13:53:
The Fallout official forums are on fire, people are reporting tons of bugs, many game breaking like saves not working.

And here I was thinking that at worse this would have as many bugs as FO3. It actually has a lot more bugs, many many more. This may need a huge patch just to correct half.

How could have obsidian fucked up this? FO3 was already done and was the foundation, how the fuck did they add so many bugs into it??

Well. They ARE Obsidian. Fucking things up is what they're very well known for.

At least this is the kind of game where the community will fix it.

Creston

Ok Creston and the rest of ya, I CALLED IT! I called it I called it I CALLED IT!

And it's not just the PC version, the 360 version as well has a ton of shit going wrong with it.

Taldren, Troika, say hello to your new friend Obsidian.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 20:00 Mashiki Amiketo

OK, just had my first crash after an hour of playing. The other bug is so senseless: Doesn't seem to be any way to change graphic settings. At the first menu you can change things like resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. but the changes are ignored. When you then go into the game to play the settings are what they were originally. How could this have gotten past QA? Luckily my machine can handle the somewhat high settings. It's a little rough but still playable.
Welcome to steam. You know the PoS that everyone raves about being good? Yeah. Well, you can change your graphics but you need to be in offline mode, otherwise steam will turn around and overwrite the file even if it's read-only.

*that file is FalloutPrefs.ini

Oh, and steam is fucking around with archiveinvalidation(if you don't have a clue what that is...well stop reading). As it stands right now, you can't mod anything that modifies textures/meshes/menus/shaders/mips or anything else without steam going lalala fuck you, and either force-reverting or locking up the game.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 20:00 avianflu

ugh -- bugs. Wait a month and then buy.

26. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 19:44 Mcboinkens

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 19:30:
I hope you get the obvious Indiana Jones joke there with the hat and refrigerator

Yeah I am assuming the Escapist review caught on to that....if not, wow.

25. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 19:30 Verno

I hope you get the obvious Indiana Jones joke there with the hat and refrigerator  

24. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 18:37 slaka

The point at which I decided it would all be OK was random. I was walking from one place to the next and happened to spot an odd shape off the trail. I walked closer and noticed it was a refrigerator laid on its back with the door ripped off. Inside was the skeleton of a man wearing a hat. No explanation given. I took the hat and put it on and went about my business. There was no sinister purpose to this interaction. No overt message, or secret meaning. I had found the remains of a man who'd met an untimely end and had been stuffed into a refrigerator. Nothing more, nothing less.

Love this part from The Escapist review. Bodes well for me when I eventually get this game on sale with the bug's community patched.

23. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 17:37 Prez

Obviously the "gag order" on reviews has been lifted!

As always, I'm waiting 2 weeks for the major issues to be worked out.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 16:51 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 15:30:
OK, just had my first crash after an hour of playing. The other bug is so senseless: Doesn't seem to be any way to change graphic settings. At the first menu you can change things like resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. but the changes are ignored. When you then go into the game to play the settings are what they were originally.

The settings thing is the same steam cloud issue as the quick save thing and its being worked on according to Bethesda/Steam. Not sure about crash stuff, people should do the usual with drivers and submit errors to the bethesda forums so they can sort em out.

Ah, that's why my laptop keeps running like shit. Default settings are 4x FSAA and 8X AF, and High Settings. I've switched it to low and everything off, and it still runs like crap.

Great testing done again by Obsidian/Bethesda.

Creston

21. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 15:30 Verno

OK, just had my first crash after an hour of playing. The other bug is so senseless: Doesn't seem to be any way to change graphic settings. At the first menu you can change things like resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. but the changes are ignored. When you then go into the game to play the settings are what they were originally.

The settings thing is the same steam cloud issue as the quick save thing and its being worked on according to Bethesda/Steam. Not sure about crash stuff, people should do the usual with drivers and submit errors to the bethesda forums so they can sort em out.

20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 15:24 LittleMe

Yeah it's like they spent the whole time creating content and put nothing into fixing the quirks of the engine (like locked FOV, annoying mouse acceleration, framerate skipping). Last week I reinstalled Fallout 3 to prep for this launch and installed a lot of cool mods and am thinking to go back to that until there are some fixes/patches/mods to address the issues. I had a hard lockup+crash in the game also.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 15:18 Ratty

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 14:59 Creston

From the Eurogamer review :

There are even complete game freezes, usually after prolonged play sessions, though Bethesda assures us that this is a known issue and a day-one patch will fix it.

Who knows, but let's hope.

Creston

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 14:49 Silicon Avatar

The save issue seems to be with quicksaves and autosaves which one should always avoid in any Bethesda game. It also seems to be an issue with Steamcloud.

Anyhow, check it out here.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1122574-save-are-gone/

If that is the "save bug" I'm not too worried about it. I always make manual saves in new slots.

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 14:37 Beamer

Hmm, never had it happen in those games.

What did drive me nuts was the inability to jump on rocks, meaning that if the game didn't find you on perfectly level ground it wouldn't let you jump, and since rocks aren't level... sometimes you'd be standing on one and it looked like you should be able to jump but it'd just keep you standing still Infuriating (but not as bad as other games where being on non-level ground such as rocks is seen as falling, so being on one for five seconds then walking off, dropping a foot, is seen as a six second fall and instant death.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo