Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I took the doggies to the trail yesterday, and when we got out of the car I spotted a couple of deer across the parking lot, luckily catching sight of them before the pups did. I corralled them by their collars and cleverly attempted to scare the deer off by triggering the car horn with my key fob. Well, it would have been clever if they cared, but desensitized as they are to the ways of their human neighbors, they didn't even bat an eye. So I carefully ushered my crew to the trailhead and we proceeded without incident. When we returned, however, one of them was still lingering around, and while I didn't spot him, the Gunnar-man did, and gave chase, ignoring my telling him to stop (luckily I had Hudson the wonder dog on leash). He closed about three-quarters of the short gap between us as the deer watched calmly, with my fears steadily growing that the deer was choosing fight from the classic fight or flight menu. Just as I was convinced he was going to attempt to trample my poodle, his nerve gave out, and he took off, and after giving chase for a bit Gunnar returned. All in all, a pretty minor incident, but a reminder that I need to do more work on Gunnar's training to listen, as his ears seem to switch off as soon as his prey drive kicks in.

Preyed Upon Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Coaster Racer.
Huje Tower 2.
Condemned world TD.
Links: The 6 most awful comic-book toys and action figures EVER. Thanks Neatorama.
Monopoly Game Set Made of Gold. So much attention for such a terrible game.
Stories: Bat Disease Threatens to Close America’s Caves.
'I'm too rich to go to jail'. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Surprise! Now you'll remember this article forever.
Researchers imitate water striders with nanorods.
Old Ironman.
Police Report FAIL.
Media: If All Movies Had Smartphones. Nothing but spoilers.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: watch out, dog. Oct 20, 2010, 09:38 sauron

rist3903 wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 13:18:
I highly recommend minimizing dog/deer interaction. I have seen some videos of deer attacks on them that have made my blood run cold, and I don't even own a dog.

edit: Aw hell I'll link one. I don't mean to scare the crap out of you, but I would prefer not to read about something like this in an Out of the Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgtT9uKWdA&feature=related

Jeez, that must be the world's dumbest cat. As it gets warned off gently by the doe, it scratches its nose and immediately gets wtfpwned. Even my cat knows better than that.

Also, I'm guessing the dog's veterinarian was in for a busy, busy afternoon. That was a complete mauling. Would hate to hear of that happening to Gunnar.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2010, 08:36  Blue 

WarPig wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 21:15:
So much attention for such a terrible game.

Really? I used to enjoy a good family game of Monopoly every now and then. Is there any particular reason you don't like it? I guess like anything else everybody's personal taste is different.

Just always struck me as a game where luck was a primary component with an endgame that always involves players who know they are going to lose hanging on and pawning stuff to stave off the inevitable.

That doesn't make it the worst game ever, but it does make me wonder why there are so many editions, not to mention the gold one.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 21:15 WarPig

So much attention for such a terrible game.

Really? I used to enjoy a good family game of Monopoly every now and then. Is there any particular reason you don't like it? I guess like anything else everybody's personal taste is different.

GO SEAHAWKS!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 17:32 Spoon_Gouge

Wow! that dog got his ass ground up and them handed to him. Course that's a mother protecting her fawn which is why she after the cat as well (once she had a good rush of adrenaline pumping in her veins). Still, Fall is another good time to get deer in a crazy mood as males start to rut.  
Spoon_Gouge

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 17:23 Spoon_Gouge

I own two dachshunds and while not the same thing, I don't know what I would do in such a case because they usually spot the "prey" before I do and regardless of what it is, they want at it. I'm sure they would have easily been trampled in such a situation as a deer might not bother running from them. They do make quite a racket however and maybe that's what spooked this deer. Of course I don't trust either of my dogs which is why they're always on leads and would not expect either of them to come back either.  
Spoon_Gouge

8. RIP Oct 19, 2010, 16:42 Capella

Damn now Mr. C has passed on.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39743395/ns/today-entertainment/?GT1=43001

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 16:07 PHJF

Mass Effect 2 PC $12  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 15:56 Cutter

Well the car for Blue already exists, it's called the Bluesmobile..."It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas." Only thing that needs fixing is the cigarette lighter.

And speaking of cops, I stuck it to the man today! Went to court for a speeding ticket. Presiding officer is there. Prosecutor informs me of this as the cop is right there, and asks what I want to plead. I reply NOT GUILTY!!! She asks if I'm sure and that my fine could increase if I can't prove my innocence. I reply, 'I know I'm something of a layman, however, it's my understanding that under our legal system that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Give this happend 18 months ago, I'd be really curious to see what actual proof he has.' So they call me up and the prosecuter says...'Due to insufficient evidence we'll be dropping the charges.' Case dimsissed! BOOYAH!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 15:36 Kxmode

Stephen you might want to try Scooby Snacks. The Mystery Machine gang used them and their dog helped them solve complex mystery cases. I'm not saying you would open a Detective Agency with Gunnar-man but it could help make him listen to you.

*woof*

4. Police Report FAIL Oct 19, 2010, 13:28 Quboid

I don't know if I'm pointing out the obvious but something in that Police Report Fail posting stuck out, and not just the insurance-scam and/or idiocy.

Switched hardware in her computer with hardware that doesn't work. There are no leads.

No wonder it doesn't feckin' work if there's no leads!

- Quboid

3. watch out, dog. Oct 19, 2010, 13:18 rist3903

I highly recommend minimizing dog/deer interaction. I have seen some videos of deer attacks on them that have made my blood run cold, and I don't even own a dog.

edit: Aw hell I'll link one. I don't mean to scare the crap out of you, but I would prefer not to read about something like this in an Out of the Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgtT9uKWdA&feature=related

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2010, 13:24.

2. Smartphones ruin everything Oct 19, 2010, 13:00 Steelcamp

:-P  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2010, 12:42 Cutter

Haha! Gotta love the Gunnar-man!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo