Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Interview

Anger Management on GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) is an interview with Tim Willits of id Software, who talks about RAGE, their upcoming first-person shooter, discussing the burden of creating a new IP, mod support, controller support, multi-platform development, cloud services, joining Zenimax, and more. On that last topic, they separately highlight a bit where Tim says that in spite of id's traditional "when it's done" mantra: "I can tell you that if we weren't part of the Zenimax family, we'd be trying to rush this game out. So it's so nice being able to say, let's ship it next year, let's get the multiplayer awesome, let's get the game as great as we can make it. Without their support, I honestly think that Rage would not be as good as it's going to be."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 19:31 Rom

Wow, what's with all the id hatred here? I thought blues was a bastion of hope for all things id.

Having worked with UE3 and parts of id Tech 5, I can honestly say anything coming out of id is magnitudes easier to work with than from Epic. What people do with that ease of use, is another story.

Rage will definitely be a good game, but the engine is spectacular. Give it to the original Planetside team (who were shackled by their bloated engine) or simular forward thinking team and let's have a revolution in the FPS genre!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 15:47 tuddies

virtual texturing - the signature advance of tech5 megatexture implementation could be cool, but we'll have to play rage to see if that is the case.

megatexture was a huge bust in Quake Wars - there are so many engines that can run rings around that graphically.

i'm not hoping for much gameplay with rage - id has never made a compelling single player game, but i always look forward to more graphical glitz!

we'll see, but from what i've seen of rage, it looks like doom3 or a supergay version of flatout2. tiny maps and bad physics.

17. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 14:05 bhcompy

Sempai wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 10:56:
tuddies wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 09:27:
no joke, UE3 is far more advanced than the latest id engine.. and the netcode is rock solid. you could give rage a huge bump up by using this engine.

And you have proof of this from where?..

Rage looked pretty damned impressive running on the shitbox360, I hope they don't fuck it up..God knows they've had enough time to make a solid engine by now.

Look We all know about UE3 but it's my hope that something...ANYTHING comes along to takes its place, It's grown long in the tooth..

They could always use Source.

Realistically though, the industry is better off with a few engines rather than each game having its own. Just costs too damn much to develop and that passes on to we the consumer.

16. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 11:29 Joss

They must be overhauling their physics engine for the vehicles. There's always the open source solution: RoR
Yeah, don't pay attention to the terrain - the vehicle physics is the golden egg.

15. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 11:10 Darks

Iím all for them taking their time on this to make it great. As for the comment on UE3 being better. I seriously doubt that, maybe for the Net code only because this engine has been around for 4 years now. But graphically no way, Rage looks way better.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

14. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 10:56 Sempai

tuddies wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 09:27:
no joke, UE3 is far more advanced than the latest id engine.. and the netcode is rock solid. you could give rage a huge bump up by using this engine.

And you have proof of this from where?..

Rage looked pretty damned impressive running on the shitbox360, I hope they don't fuck it up..God knows they've had enough time to make a solid engine by now.

Look We all know about UE3 but it's my hope that something...ANYTHING comes along to takes its place, It's grown long in the tooth..

13. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 09:27 tuddies

12. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 09:23 InBlack

Its like iD caught a case of the 3drealms "bug" after they released Doom3....

Very little info/progress on Rage, nothing at all on the new Doom...

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 09:00 space captain

Tim says that in spite of id's traditional "when it's done" mantra: "I can tell you that if we weren't part of the Zenimax family, we'd be trying to rush this game out. So it's so nice being able to say, let's ship it next year,

i wonder how fucked a rushed Id game will turn out to be

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 06:11 eRe4s3r

By way, i remembered what other game made me think about this, believe it or not, but it was DN Forever ;p In the gameplay demo the driving also looked incredibly crappy... i mean i don't expect Dirt 2 or RTB kind physics but surely if BC2 can do it so can DNF.. or Borderlands, or heck, ARMA 2 and BIS who basically fucked up the ENTIRE PHYSICS part of all their games, ever. Heck even OFP had jumping tanks. Compare that to BF1942 which had even simulated suspension on tanks but never wanted to be a SIM.. WTF? And speaking of Arma 2 - what the heck is wrong with their grenade physics? ACE mod fixed them, but stock Arma 2 is a joke.

If driving in an arcade shooter like BF1942 feels better than in a Military SIM, there is something very wrong. And heck, 10 years later and we still have jumping tanks and "can turn on the spot" vehicles which don't even simulate tire traction or suspensions (which are for example, stock PhysX features)

9. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 05:39 theyarecomingforyou

Judging from the videos they still have to redo the entire physics groundwork because it looked like 1) Cars floated on ice and 2) Enemies floated on ice with sedative.

What is it with games that have vehicles but fail to implement them properly, look at Borderlands, they failed too. And Rage looked even worse (physics wise).
Couldn't agree more. They've decided to make vehicles a core aspect of the gameplay and yet from the videos you can see they handle unrealistically. This is a company that has a history of defining industry standards and yet here they're struggling to play catch-up.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 05:17 Kajetan

Sempai wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 04:06:
tuddies wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 04:01:
should have just licensed the ue3 engine

For the love of GOD NO!

Most over used engine in the history of engines.

Plse U3 engine just fucking die, plse DIE ALREADY!
I think, he might have made a joke

7. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 04:06 Sempai

tuddies wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 04:01:

For the love of GOD NO!

Most over used engine in the history of engines.

Plse U3 engine just fucking die, plse DIE ALREADY!

6. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 04:04 Sempai

Tim says that in spite of id's traditional "when it's done" mantra: "I can tell you that if we weren't part of the Zenimax family, we'd be trying to rush this game out. So it's so nice being able to say, let's ship it next year, let's get the multiplayer awesome, let's get the game as great as we can make it. Without their support, I honestly think that Rage would not be as good as it's going to be."

Maybe..And I may be wrong here..But just maybe your all overpaid these days as you drive into work in your Ferrari's with your latte in hand and lazily work on that code.

I say ID has become a bunch of overpaid, lazy rich boys.
Call me an ahole for saying it but we haven't seen a new IP from ID in what..a decade?

Gimmie a break.

5. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 04:01 tuddies

4. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 00:23 Creston

Acleacius wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 23:33:
the burden of creating a new IP
Creating a space marine in a truck is very stressful work apparently.

Giggle

Creston

3. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 00:15 eRe4s3r

Judging from the videos they still have to redo the entire physics groundwork because it looked like 1) Cars floated on ice and 2) Enemies floated on ice with sedative.

What is it with games that have vehicles but fail to implement them properly, look at Borderlands, they failed too. And Rage looked even worse (physics wise).

2. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 18, 2010, 23:33 Acleacius

the burden of creating a new IP
Creating a space marine in a truck is very stressful work apparently.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 18, 2010, 22:18 cronik

They sure taking their time with this title.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo