Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief Source Code Recovered?

The petition for Thief 1&2 source publication is a lengthy forum thread where users implore Eidos to release the source code to the first two installments in the beloved Thief series of stealth games. A recent post there has an unconfirmed report that the Thief source code has been found after being presumed lost. This does not mean the source is any closer to release, but if the report is accurate, it does mean it is at least possible. Here's word: "Community member tracks down some former LGS developers. One of these developers finds that they have the source code backed up. The code is then handed over to Eidos....which brings us to present day....still nothing."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 12:57 Ratty

Yeah, I've played FMs religiously for many years, I finally got tired of it about a year ago and haven't played any since. Really, I've enjoyed Thief 1 and 2 way more for the FMs than for the OMs. That's not to say I think any of the FMs were better than the originals - just that the whole FM experience has been wonderful, seeing what people come up with, something fun to do when I'm bored.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 07:16 osage no onna

Yeah, some of these things are really impressive. One FM (series of FMs) that really stretches the engine to its limits is Circle of Stone and Shadow chapter 2. Easily outdoes anything Looking Glass ever did with it, in my opinion (although I suppose it was in the making for close to a decade).  

16. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 06:33 Mangrove

This makes me want to rev up Thief again, haven't played a fan mission in about a year. The last one I completed was Rose Cottage, a haunted house style mission, which was sublime.

Many of these fan created missions have a much more intricate design than the original Thief levels, and are certainly more sophisticated than most games we are used to now. It would be great if these people could get their hands on the source code and further enhance the game.

Just make sure that if you only play one FM, play Broken Triad. It's got Cthulhu in it!

15. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 05:22 osage no onna

Slashman wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 01:06:
Can you even get Thief 2 to run on modern PCs without jumping through hoops?

Tafferpatcher will install the game and all the fixes you could ever want. Works great on Win7 x64 for me.

As for fan missions, there's a nice thread here.

14. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 02:09 Acleacius

Timeslip's DDXFix works in SS2 also.

Geezz, if you didn't know about Thief Fan missions you could probably spend 6 months trying to play them all.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 01:35 AirWreck

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#install -- covers most of the issues you might run into. A significant number of hoops, but worth it.  

12. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 01:23 NewMaxx

Slashman wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 01:06:

I recall the last time I borrowed the discs from a friend it would crash at the intro cinematic for every mission.

I would really have liked to play it to completion. Disappointed

Installed it on my Vista x64 machine after seeing the news. Used the DDFix and widescreen fixes, as well as the 1.8 patch. Had no problems playing the game or seeing the cinematics. I did read that many people did, usually resolved through installing the Indeo codecs off the CDs, but I imagine those are covered by my K-Lite Codec Pack. You should of course also have DX9 June installed on Vista/7 for full legacy support.

11. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 01:06 Slashman

I recall the last time I borrowed the discs from a friend it would crash at the intro cinematic for every mission.

I would really have liked to play it to completion. Disappointed

10. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 00:32 AirWreck

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ for individual missions, also http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/komagdvds.htm if you just want to grab almost everything.

9. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 00:23 eRe4s3r

Ehm, can you link us to some? Never heard of fan missions (??) for this.  

8. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 22:50 Acleacius

Nice call RAY16, had never heard of this one. Cake

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 21:53 RAY16

@Acleacius

They released the source code to Warzone 2100, but that's the only game I can think of off the top of my head they've done that with.

6. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 20:16 GarrettTX1

Probably one of my favorite games & messed with the editor (Dromed) as well - but doubt Eidos will even consider doing so & especially with Thief 4 supposedly in development.

Still play Thief 2 FM's to this day & tons of excellent ones out there to play IMO - could literally play for months for those who haven't ever done so...

5. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 17:52 Acleacius

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 17:23:
How is not releasing the source code greedy?
Must be a language barrier issue?

Also, Eidos put Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief III and many other games on Gametap for free for a very long time.
Gametap is PAY to PLAY, right? Game is NOT Source Code, right?

FOR FREE, where do you get this info, glen beck?

4. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 17:38 Kajetan

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 17:23:
How is not releasing the source code greedy?
Not greedy, stupid!

Also, Eidos put Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief III and many other games on Gametap for free for a very long time.
Yeah! And Gametap got the games for free?

3. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 17:23 Rattlehead

How is not releasing the source code greedy? Also, Eidos put Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief III and many other games on Gametap for free for a very long time.  

2. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 16:57 Acleacius

Probably just a legal technicality for the developer to turn it in to eidos. I can't recall eidos ever releasing source code, 90%+ corporations are about greed and self interest, not building a better community or world.  

1. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 16:37 Kobalt

Has a petition ever made a developer do anything?  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo