Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had some sausage in the fridge that was intended for the grill, but hadn't been made yet, so I was inspired this morning to try making an omelet in the oven, something I've wanted to attempt since having one in a diner a few months ago. It turned out great, and though it took far longer than cooking it on the stovetop, it was a simpler process. I just browned the sausage and put it in a cast iron skillet on some eggs mixed with a little water (I make a mean omelet, and the pro tip is water instead of milk) and some cheddar cheese. I started it briefly on the stove, and then popped it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, and it was perfect with no delicate turning required. The one thing I failed to do was remember to avoid touching the skillet handle with a bare hand after it was out of the oven (ouch!), but luckily the contact was brief enough to avoid a real burn.

R.I.P.: Benoit Mandelbrot, Mathematician, Dies at 85.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Chilean Miner Rescue. Thanks Neatorama.
Red Riot.
Physics Fidget.
Link: The 15 Greatest Suits of Armor in Video Games.
Stories: Steeplechaser disqualified for using plant pot to get over hurdle. Thanks Neatorama.
The world's fastest mobility scooter. Thanks Neatorama.
Man Crashes Into PennDOT License Center After Passing Driver Test. Thanks Roger.
Science: German radar satellites fly tight space waltz.
Cancer is a man-made disease, study claims.
Wind turbines wrong colour for wildlife.
Images: McDonald's Happy Meal Unchanged After 6 Months On A Table.
Media: Russian Cop Begs To Get Into Car As Wolves Interrupt Traffic Stop. Thanks brother19.
The 600 Years. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
The Funnies: Penny Arcade: Mine All Mine, Part One & Part Two.
Follow-up: 'The Hobbit' Gets Its Greenlight, With Jackson Directing.
2010 Darwin Award: Wheelchair Right Of Way. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Study backs chest compressions in resuscitation.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2010, 06:55 xXBatmanXx

The 15 Greatest Suits of Armor in Video Games.

That list sucks.

Guild Wars has some sweet armor sets in it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2010, 20:52 space captain

it might be clearer to say "strength".. or simply "not enough electricity" rather than "not the right kind of electricity"

but it probably doesnt matter since everyone dozed off by now

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: system shock Oct 17, 2010, 20:32 xXBatmanXx

space captain wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 08:54:
the amplitude (not frequency) of the waveform derived from electrical current must be sufficient for the subsequent organization of a steady oscillation by defibrillation.. so it may be unclear to use the word "tone", as VF is a chaotic state of arrhythmia, which is a random fluctuation of oscillation (resulting in a random frequency or "tone") - however the amplitude derived from current is what measures its strength {or capacity to exert muscular pressure), and is what steadily decreases after cardiac arrest

True - but to say it for most to understand - is "tone".

People understand tone - they don't understand the technical description.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

22. system shock Oct 17, 2010, 08:54 space captain

the amplitude (not frequency) of the waveform derived from electrical current must be sufficient for the subsequent organization of a steady oscillation by defibrillation.. so it may be unclear to use the word "tone", as VF is a chaotic state of arrhythmia, which is a random fluctuation of oscillation (resulting in a random frequency or "tone") - however the amplitude derived from current is what measures its strength {or capacity to exert muscular pressure), and is what steadily decreases after cardiac arrest  
Go forth, and kill!

21. Darwin Awards. Oct 17, 2010, 08:49 JayDeath

Anyone watch that video? Pretty crazy shit. Yeah the guy was a dipshit but holy no safety!  
Steam: BenRichards

20. Re: chest compressions Oct 17, 2010, 02:20 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 01:24:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 23:11:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 22:25:
didn't have the correct electricity in their body to save them

What does that mean? honest question

Means the electrical pulses given off by the body were not in the correct "tone" to be zapped. The AED only is able to do a certain type - which is why when it is used, it is so successful.

Short and sweet explanation:
http://www.lessstress.com/aed1.htm

Neat.

19. Re: chest compressions Oct 17, 2010, 01:24 xXBatmanXx

Means the electrical pulses given off by the body were not in the correct "tone" to be zapped. The AED only is able to do a certain type - which is why when it is used, it is so successful.

Short and sweet explanation:
http://www.lessstress.com/aed1.htm

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2010, 01:23 xXBatmanXx

Fable III, if you purchase at Amazon you get 20.00 credit for future purchase and .99 cent shipping.  

17. RIP Mandelbrot Oct 17, 2010, 00:19 Max-Ray

I recall writing the program to generate the Mandelbrot set on an Apple II at work and letting it run overnight. The thing hadn't finished the entire screen, but there was enough there to know I'd done it right. Needless to say, things have gotten faster since that 1MHz processor.  

16. Re: Minecraft... Oct 17, 2010, 00:16 zincthallinide

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 19:03:
is evilly addictive!

I don't think Minecraft is evil, but I am amazed at how it's somehow more fun to wander around in Minecraft than it is to wander around in Second Life.. The universe can seem mysterious

But yeah, Minecraft is a lot of fun

15. Re: chest compressions Oct 17, 2010, 00:05 space captain

they were probably invaders from an alternate dimension where electrons spin in reverse from ours

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2010, 00:00 Hoop

MOH muti is very well done.  

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: chest compressions Oct 16, 2010, 23:51 Cutter

I'd suspect he means people with a reversed polarity.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: chest compressions Oct 16, 2010, 23:11 Sepharo

11. Re: chest compressions Oct 16, 2010, 22:25 xXBatmanXx

DG wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 17:29:
main thing to note from the study is how low the chances are with CPR.

Training makes a huge difference yet still it's low. Of course, some have no chance unless they happen to be in an ER at the time, but paddles are where it's at. Dramatically higher chance of survival AND faster so less likely to have brain damage from lack of O2.

...says me who's never got around to the first aid course I've been intending to do for years

Yea, avg % for saves for responders is somewhere around 5% if they are full arrest while we are enroute. Sucks.

In regards to:
Study backs chest compressions in resuscitation.
We have known this for a few years now. The most important thing is to keep the oxygen going through the body, as there is enough o2 in the blood to recycle many many times, the air isn't as important until the medics get there (within 5-10 minutes).

We have the Lucas Device in our area, does compressions 99% more effective than a human can. It has saved lives in our area. Also we have AEDs in every squad and all public city owned buildings. Those things are great, but you MUST be in the correct defibrilation for them to work. The 2 people I have hooked up to them didn't have the correct electricity in their body to save them....

10. What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap! Oct 16, 2010, 19:20 space captain

Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: RIP also Oct 16, 2010, 19:14 Steelcamp

Jive Linguist and secret Eddie Haskel hater Barbara Billingsly also past away today.  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

8. Minecraft... Oct 16, 2010, 19:03 The Half Elf

is evilly addictive!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: chest compressions Oct 16, 2010, 18:28 Acleacius

DG wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 17:29:
main thing to note from the study is how low the chances are with CPR.
Worst part about all this is despite, most if not all could have been avoided. Afaik the evidence is absolute, I can't think of a single doctor or scientist who thinks it's ok to continue unhealthy eating habits after or hell before a heart attack.

Eating more fruits and vegetables (the fresher and the rawer the better). Also mandatory is stop eating and drinking products from animals who are not GRASS fed, pumped full of antibiotics and steroids, in the case of land based animals.

Even if a persona has a heart attack from some genetic condition their chances are multitudes better at prevention and survival with a nutritionally filled diet.

On the other hand if you want a meal to be waiting and ready to eat left out on your table six months from now, without having to cook mcDeath has a meal for you.

Maybe it's just addiction and people can't help themselves?

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2010, 18:38.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2010, 18:10 Cutter

Yeah, milk for scrambled, water for omelettes. Just a tiny bit though, as I said, about half an eggshell for every two eggs. And always start your pan off with butter to brown up a bit, then add your oil. Eggs without butter just aren't worth having.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo