Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4

Steam now offers ArcaniA: Gothic 4 worldwide, meaning the role-playing sequel is available in North America a few days earlier than expected. Word is: "A mysterious evil power lies in waiting and fortunately you’re not alone to unravel the ancient secrets: your fate is linked to a beautiful lady wearing a powerful artifact from the long-forgotten past..." There is no explanation for the game's early release.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 17, 2010, 15:44 Burrito of Peace

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 13:10:
Is it hard to just disable the monitors you don't want the game to play on in your driver's control center? It's really not that big an effort. Especially not so knowing the next patch will fix it.

Yes, yes it is. In fact, it's downright asinine to have to disable a monitor period when there are hundreds of games that run fine on dual, triple or quad monitor setups without a single issue.

Yet again, more examples of how inept and lazy the development team on this game was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 17, 2010, 13:10 Eldaron Imotholin

tuddies wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 23:10:
Frijoles wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 17:59:
Finally tried the demo. It wouldn't run at first, so I did a verification on the game files. Now it's running on the wrong monitor. As I said before, these dev houses don't even bother checking computers with multiple monitors. The steam forums are full of people complaining about bugs and crashes.

I run three monitors, but just game on one. Gothic4 shows up on my right monitor, but should show up two monitors to the left. Funny thing is that mouse movements on the first monitor control input on the third monitor where the game is running. But when you click, the first monitor catches it and then alt-tabs to windows7 desktop.

I got around it by running in windowed mode, but this should be a QA issue. I'm sure there are plenty of people running with three or more monitors.

Is it hard to just disable the monitors you don't want the game to play on in your driver's control center? It's really not that big an effort. Especially not so knowing the next patch will fix it.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 17, 2010, 00:59 LittleMe

Finally tried the demo. It wouldn't run at first, so I did a verification on the game files. Now it's running on the wrong monitor. As I said before, these dev houses don't even bother checking computers with multiple monitors. The steam forums are full of people complaining about bugs and crashes.

They've acknowledged this bug and said it will be fixed in the next patch in Steam's Gothic forums. Expect some bugs, especially obscure bugs that affect a small percentage of players, to slip through the play testing phase. Post-release patch support however will hopefully address game breaking issues... We'll see.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 23:10 tuddies

I run three monitors, but just game on one. Gothic4 shows up on my right monitor, but should show up two monitors to the left. Funny thing is that mouse movements on the first monitor control input on the third monitor where the game is running. But when you click, the first monitor catches it and then alt-tabs to windows7 desktop.

I got around it by running in windowed mode, but this should be a QA issue. I'm sure there are plenty of people running with three or more monitors.

30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 21:40 Jim

inventory in gothic games is infinite. it may be more "fun" to limit it to 80 pounds and do a whole bunch of inventory "management" (except for quest items which would be 0 weight) but that really interferes with the gameplay.  

29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 20:58 Eldaron Imotholin

@Icewind
"A pureblood noob", says the bitter bloke having a stunning 25 years experience of playing RPG games. I congratulate you, old warhorse.

The difference between this pureblood noob here and you, the experienced, wise, old man... is that last I looked I'm not stating my opinion as fact. You make it sound like I'm downright WRONG to like this game. It's fucking ridiculous, you realize that now that I spelled it out for you... I hope?

A game is never matter-of-factly trash if there are other experienced gamers (for the record, I was being sarcastic before) who can wholeheartedly enjoy it.

But, by all means.. go play Ultima 7 and be bitter. Just don't come here telling me my opinion is wrong. I laugh at that childish shit.

@Frijoles
I didn't like the demo. Once you get off your home-island the game blossoms to a point I myself started to enjoy it allot. Definitely worth my €39,-.

28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 20:57 Frijoles

And I've finished the demo. I managed to play it in windowed mode. So that bug aside, here's my thoughts:

The Good
I had fun with the combat. It's pretty simple, but I did enjoy it. I also felt that the environment graphics were well done.

The Bad
The voice work is horrible. Not only that, but they're really bad ventriloquists. The lips on the characters barely move. It's so very wrong. Some unmatched lips is one thing, but the dialog was just so very bad. And why bother giving me a selection box for text when there's only one selection? Do I need to pause and reflect on things?

I appear to be able to carry an unlimited weight and the inventory is absolutely huge. Although I hate limited inventory in games, this seems too far the other way. There's no reason not to pick something up in this game since it seems like you can carry everything.

There's nothing special about the quests. I was told that I needed to marry the girl, but I sure as hell felt no reason to do so. I can get more stimulating quests (or at least as stimulating) in WoW. A single player game is supposed to be more epic, but it didn't feel that way.

Was it fun? Meh. Sure, it passed a couple hours. I'd probably pay $10 for it. With Fallout coming out on Tuesday, though, there's no way I'd spend anything on this right now.

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 20:34 Icewind

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 14:12:

Nonsense.

I've been playing RPGs all my life. Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, Gothic saga, The Witcher, Dragon Age and right about every PC RPG in between those. Do I enjoy Arcania? Fuck yes. Do I have the gaming experience to be "worthy" enough to judge this RPG? Evidently so.

Simple isn't always bad, just as complex isn't always good.

"If you haven't any standards"... "It's fraud". Cry me a river.

25 years experience here. I say the game *is* trash. Watered down trash. I'm level 9, playing on Gothic difficulty, and cake-walking through it.

Your last comment shows how inexperienced you are. There is such as thing as a game being complex in both good and bad ways, as well as a game being simple in both good or bad ways.

A "Good" complex game: ToEE
A "Bad" complex game: Elemental war of Magic

A "Good" simple game: Diablo
A "Bad" simple game: Arcania Gothic 4

If you had been playing CRPG back in the Ultima 3/4 days, you'd know how simplistic and bland the world simulation aspect of this game is. Go play Ultima 7, which the developers based Gothic 1 on, and you'll see what I mean.

Then again, I'm talking to a purebred noob here.

26. NOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oct 16, 2010, 19:15 space captain

if you dont like this game you are a doo-doo head! Nahnah  
Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 18:41 Eldaron Imotholin

Don't know what you're talking about. I'm having two monitors but I always disable one in my gpu control center when I'm gonna play a game.

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 17:59 Frijoles

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 15:33 Jim

jowood should keep the arcania brand, release future games on it, and give the gothic brand back to piranha bytes. the two are not the same. arcania is great for what it is, but it really should stand alone.

as for the question about the games "early release" - it was due monday, I think, then was delayed because retail shipments were delayed, and then reversed again after it was reported to be selling in stores.

as for gothic 3, true, there are a lot of haters out there for the game. there were flaws in combat, problems with quests and hitches on turning. too much was attempted to create a vast and epic world. All the same the game was still one of the most epic games I have ever played. I enjoyed the hell out of oblivion but it blew me away how much better and more satisfying gothic 3 was.

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 14:12 Eldaron Imotholin

Kajetan wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 08:55:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 08:22:
This game is good and whoever is stupid enough to stupidly believe some of those stupid reviews is stupid.
If you havent any standards whatsoever, yes, than this game might be some fun. But when you expect a Gothic RPG, than stay away from this cheap casual RPG for people, who dont know nothing about RPGs.

"Arcania: Gothic 4" is false advertising, no, its fraud!

Nonsense.

I've been playing RPGs all my life. Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, Gothic saga, The Witcher, Dragon Age and right about every PC RPG in between those. Do I enjoy Arcania? Fuck yes. Do I have the gaming experience to be "worthy" enough to judge this RPG? Evidently so.

Simple isn't always bad, just as complex isn't always good.

"If you haven't any standards"... "It's fraud". Cry me a river.

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 13:01 Surf

Enjoy one of the last RPG's for the PC! I am sure almost all games going forward will be console based.

However it is not for Piracy reasons as I can download Fallout3 right now for XBox. It is more for compatibility and a linear, controlled experience as well as more money.

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 09:47 space captain

Slashman wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 08:39:
This game is good and whoever is stupid enough to stupidly believe some of those stupid reviews is stupid.

This sentence needs MORE stupid!!!

seems like it filled that quota pretty good from all angles

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 08:55 Kajetan

If you havent any standards whatsoever, yes, than this game might be some fun. But when you expect a Gothic RPG, than stay away from this cheap casual RPG for people, who dont know nothing about RPGs.

"Arcania: Gothic 4" is false advertising, no, its fraud!

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 08:39 Slashman

This sentence needs MORE stupid!!!

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 08:22 Eldaron Imotholin

LittleMe wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 21:37:
Don't believe some of the sites with low reviews, this is a good game.

This. This. This!

The game is great fun and the demo / start kinda sucks and gives the wrong impression. It weirdly seems that the more you advance in the game, the less invisible walls you get.

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 03:38 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 23:22:
Actually Ford was forced to fix the Pinto for FREE. The incompetence of the publisher speaks for itself.

Iirc, PB had a 1 gig patch ready to distribute within a month, since they had been working on it after G3 was FORCED into goldmaster, before it was done. Instead of paying PB for work they had done, the publisher refused to pay and seized control of the franchise, hiring another developer to....guess what....make a 1 gig patch. Oh, btw the way, they paid the new developer which took SEVERAL months before their patch was done, leaving the FRANCHISE name, reputation and quality to dwindle.

A lowlife publisher is a lowlife publisher and this could be their last game according to their finical state. They certainly deserve to be forced into bankruptcy for what they did to PB and the Gothic name.

100%& grade A bullshit, my very uninformed little friend. PB actually LIED about the existence of the GB patch that you mentioned. They said that it was in development and then when they broke up with JoWood this turned out to be a BIG FAT LIE and they had to admit that the patch never existed and that any previous mention of the patch was just "what if" kind of talk like if they would be working on a patch then it would be really big and blahbluhblahbluh.

Feel free to bash JoWood all you like but the fact that they paid Spellbound to fix Gothic 3 after losing PB as the developer and the way they supported the community efforts is something that not many other publishers would have done. Other publishers would have focused on the G3 add-on and G4 and left G3 to rot.

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 02:30 Jerykk

I can't understand what would blow anyone away about Risen. It was one of the most boring and repetitive games in recent memory.

I enjoyed Risen, though the characters and story were pretty forgettable. The core gameplay mechanics were great though. If Risen 2 has better writing, I'll be a happy camper.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo