Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners?

The Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition is available on Steam, offering Gearbox's shooter/RPG and all its DLC, as well as early access to the upcoming Duke Nukem Forever demo via the Duke Nukem Forever: First Access Club. Now we're seeing multiple confirmations of reports from our forums that everyone who has purchased Borderlands through Steam has received a Duke Nukem Forever: First Access Club Key, presumably providing the same early access as GOTY customers.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 19, 2010, 17:41 Warskull

Jackplug wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:59:
Borderlands is a fantastic game, I loved every minute of it.

However Duke Nukem will be a bag of utter shit and it will last all of about 10 minutes of playing before you throw it away.

I think you are wrong on this one. If they are offering an early access demo, they probably have some confidence in their game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 15, 2010, 16:14 PHJF

An early patch disallowed the game running modified code (hacked weapons). Why this was allowed in the first place I couldn't tell you.

Anyways I've been playing a couple characters with a friend and after finding a nice lvl25 SMG and muling it to my other character it magically became a worthless 9dmg lvl1 smg. Glad to see they ironed out the kinks. /sarcasm

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. fuckin vending machines Oct 15, 2010, 11:24 space captain

i didnt want farming from this game.. i wanted greatness - but damnit, they are just on the cusp of it  
Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 15, 2010, 09:43 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 17:59:
They removed the (good) red chests in New Haven in a recent patch and replaced them with "more appropriate" chests, AKA shitty silver chests.

Which makes no sense given that farming is exactly what people wanted from the game. Why not go after the dupes and hacked guns instead? Who gives a shit what people farm from a chest. They can get the same things from a fucking vending machine 5 feet away.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

30. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 19:02 xXBatmanXx

Ratty wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 18:55:
Thanks for all your comments guys. I believe I will get Borderlands and maybe give coop a try for the first time in my life. Sounds like if I want to experiment with coop Borderlands is the game to do it with.

But I'll wait until after Fallout NV and I still need to finish Starcraft II. Maybe the price will drop - $49.00 still seems a little steep for a game so old, even with all the DLC included.

Yup, wait for the Steam Holiday sale - probably get all the DLC and game for 30 or less.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 18:55 Ratty

Thanks for all your comments guys. I believe I will get Borderlands and maybe give coop a try for the first time in my life. Sounds like if I want to experiment with coop Borderlands is the game to do it with.

But I'll wait until after Fallout NV and I still need to finish Starcraft II. Maybe the price will drop - $49.00 still seems a little steep for a game so old, even with all the DLC included.

28. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 18:00 xXBatmanXx

I played all DLC and played through 1.5 times.

I then joined some friends to defeat Crawmax er whatever - was cool - holy hell wasn't easy if you don't cheat/exploit.

Other than that - great game, enjoyed the time I spent in it at the price I spent. 38 dollars (game + all DLC) at aprx 80 hours of gameplay. Not a lot of games will give you that these days.

I would probably play through again as a diff class, as I played as Soldier as it fits my gameplay style.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:59 PHJF

They removed the (good) red chests in New Haven in a recent patch and replaced them with "more appropriate" chests, AKA shitty silver chests.  

26. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:50 DG

I enjoyed Borderlands and certainly got my money's worth, even just doing singleplayer. But "it's always just on the cusp of greatness but never quite goes far enough" does sum it up IMHO, though I have a pretty high bar for a "great" game and it can fall quite well short to still have been well worth the money and more importantly time spent playing.

My biggest gripe is the loot: there's TONS of it and 99% is trash. May be worth hunting for a mod or something that will automatically get rid of dropped loot that is crappier than you have, just so you don't have to waste time having a look at it.

Far as the DLC goes, the Moxxi one is pants (boring and highly-repetitive arenas); Dr Ned might be good if you play it early on (I played it after the main game so was 1-shot killing just about everything); Knoxx is the best, and I haven't got around to the Claptrap one (though I will).

25. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:47 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:32:

I keep thinking about getting Borderlands every time I see an article on it here. Is the single player game worth it? What do you guys think? I've heard the MP is pretty good but I'm only interested in SP and I've yet to hear any kind of consensus on that.

I put about 3-4 hours into it, hoping it would get better, and hated it. Others loved it, however, so different strokes...

The funny thing is that I felt the same way after the first few hours, where I was "Hmmm...."
My wife saw me play it and she said it looked like a cheap version of Fallout 3, and my response was that it played the same as well.

I played on for another hour, suddenly found a kickass gun (that I used until I was like level 40), and began having a LOT more fun when I didn't have to shoot bosses and badasses for 20 minutes straight before they'd die.

But yeah, it's definitely a love it or hate it kinda game. I easily got my 15 bucks worth out of it for how long I played it.

Creston

24. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:44 Creston

PHJF wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 16:23:
That's like saying WoW has a singleplayer component because you could solo shit.

Borderlands is not a singleplayer game.

Anyways, I made it through the entire game about 3.5 times (once per class and then I gave up near the end with my soldier). That's a fair amount of time (it's a long game). Never did the DLCs because I ain't into that shit. If you like shooting (a lot of) shit and you get a tingly sensation every time you open a red chest (not in New Haven, they removed those) then you may very well enjoy Borderlands.

They removed the chests in New Haven??? WTF???

:\

Creston

23. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:22 silentsammy

Diablo with guns is probably my favourite description of Borderlands. I was actually suprised with how much i liked it...and i played only single player for the most part.  

22. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:15 Jdrez

Borderlands is a game for people who love loot. I got it for $10 on sale and only played for about two days. The visual style is great and the shooting is solid, but it just bored me, in the same way Diablo games bore me.

I get tired of endlessly whacking mobs and collecting loot, it just doesn't fit my personality. Some of my friends absolutely love it.

Different strokes, as they say.

ETA: (And I did play it with friends as well as solo. Socializing a game doesn't automatically make it more fun for me. I'm predominantly an offline player and for strong SP games like, say, Bioshock, I HATE even having people around, making noise and being a distraction from the story/immersion.)

21. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 16:23 PHJF

That's like saying WoW has a singleplayer component because you could solo shit.

Borderlands is not a singleplayer game.

Anyways, I made it through the entire game about 3.5 times (once per class and then I gave up near the end with my soldier). That's a fair amount of time (it's a long game). Never did the DLCs because I ain't into that shit. If you like shooting (a lot of) shit and you get a tingly sensation every time you open a red chest (not in New Haven, they removed those) then you may very well enjoy Borderlands.

20. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 16:03 Verno

Most of the people that make comments about not liking it played it by themselves most likely

Well that's certainly one of the most loaded statements I've seen. I played it with 2 real life friends. None of us hated it but it's not quite the masterpiece you're making it out to be. Enemies having inflated armor/health and finding new ways to roll the cars over, wow it's the pinnacle of co-op gaming folks. Practically any game is fun with friends, my friends and I could play fucking monopoly as long as there is beer around. Your implied nonsense aside, a game that has a singleplayer component will be judged partially on that so you don't get around it by saying "oh geez just play with people". Maybe some people don't have access to a big steam group or don't pay for XBL, *gasp*.

19. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 15:52 Sir Graves

I'm just waiting for the imminent Borderlands level balancing patch this month! That's all I care about right now from Gearbox. DNF? Bah. I honestly can't get excited for that anymore no matter how hard I try.

BTW, Borderlands is absolutely AWESOME fun--especially if you have three friends to co-op it with! That's key. I can still enjoy it OK single player (though some people hate it that way) but it's no where near as fun as co-op. Most of the people that make comments about not liking it played it by themselves most likely. I've not seen many who played it with friends (and for more than just one session) who didn't love it, warts and all. Great game.

18. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 15:46 Verno

Randy may not like Steamworks but I happen to dislike broken multiplayer components so he can suck it up and while he's at it, stop fucking lying about the PC versions of his product.  

17. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 15:10 DangerDog

Could this be an indication that they're going to use Steamworks for the multiplayer component? I hope they don't use Games for Windows Live and ditch gamespy.

I'm pretty sure though that Randy made some rant about not liking the way Valve was taking over the market with Steam, or that it should be split up from Valve - didn't he say something like that?

16. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 14:26 Kxmode

Duke Nukem Forever is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery. Nobody knows its ways... nobody.  

15. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 14:04 Verno

Jackplug wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:59:
Borderlands is a fantastic game, I loved every minute of it.

However Duke Nukem will be a bag of utter shit and it will last all of about 10 minutes of playing before you throw it away.

Why?

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo