Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com

GOG.com announces they are now offering The Temple of Elemental Evil via digital distribution, free of DRM. Here's word:

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a role-playing game based upon the famous Greyhawk adventure and created by now-defunct Troika Games. The story revolves around the rise of evil in the once peaceful and prosper city of Hommlet. The sudden appearance of evil forces seems to be originating from the once defeated and sealed Temple of Elemental Evil. The history likes to repeat and it's up to you and your party to not allow it happen again.

The game allows you to create a party, of up to 5 adventurers and up to three NPCs, and chose the party's alignment which will affect the plot and choices it makes throughout the game. The developers used a turn-based combat system which was acknowledged by many gamers as the most faithful representation of the pen-and-paper D&D 3.5 rules in a computer game. If you're a true D&D fan you can't miss this creation from true D&D fans.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 15, 2010, 01:14 Acleacius

Hyatus wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:27:
Was it ToEE that deleted your c drive on uninstallation or PoR?
Half-Life, also.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 19:21 avianflu

the game is fatally short. You basically walk in the town and grab a few quests, and then you enter the temple and there's a few levels inside the temple and its the end of the game. I was shocked how short it was.  

28. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 14:57 DrEvil

Hyatus wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:27:
One of them had a bug, if I remember correctly, where if you didn't install it in the default directory it would wipe your drive.

It was Pool of Radiance. Classic.

27. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 13:34 nin

One of them had a bug, if I remember correctly, where if you didn't install it in the default directory it would wipe your drive.

I was thinking one of them deleted the folder above it, so that if you put it under program files for example, it nuked that folder too...

(One of the reasons why I install all my games under c:\games)

Been a long time though...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 13:27 Hyatus

25. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 11:34 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 10:46:
Mhhhh... i only remember i did not like Pool of Radiance either

Though with out i mean "when i got it" - i got IWD2 first, then found out theres another 3.5e game out.. TOEE .

Obviously should have listened to the nay sayers back then (rpg codex and the like) who absolutely demolished TOEE .

Are there games RPG Codex does not demolish and brag about pirating?

24. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 10:46 eRe4s3r

Mhhhh... i only remember i did not like Pool of Radiance either

Though with out i mean "when i got it" - i got IWD2 first, then found out theres another 3.5e game out.. TOEE .

Obviously should have listened to the nay sayers back then (rpg codex and the like) who absolutely demolished TOEE .

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 11:16.

23. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 09:52 ^mortis^

Needs more Circle of Eight:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack

^m^

22. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 06:30 Acleacius

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 22:06:
Wasn't this one extremely buggy on release?
Very much so, think there were even some game breakers, iirc. Though I have a much different take than the people who take the easy reactionary response to blame Troika (I wonder if they even realize a publisher's role in game development).

Troika often had some of the most complex quests, compared to most other developers. Where an average RPG quest would give you Good or Evil choice, a good RPG maker would give a third, neutral. Troika would offer four and five solid choices, for monstrous replay value, which you probably know if you have played Arcanum. Yet, when you start adding choices past Good or Evil, the Q & A testing becomes and order of magnitude for each additional choice, since it has repercussions through out the game.

The reason the beginning is so difficult is they didn't have time to make a real Tutorial and last minute implementation of 3.5 ruleset and one month scheduled to test. Not saying, people's frustration isn't real, just misplaced.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 05:18 Armengar

I thought you needed to cheese the game too. I so badly wanted a decent 3.5 game. Skipping this one, I didnt have fond memories, I gave the game away (and kept my old EOB3 - it was that bad!)  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

20. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 04:30 Flatline

Icewind wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 22:35:
IT's not that hard. I've beaten it three times. The mistake you made was creating garbage characters

No... My "mistake" was that the computer rolled shit for my init and fantastic for the giant toads' attack & grapple rolls. Reloading the game so it used a different seed for the RNG resulted in a totally different encounter experience the second time.

I've played D&D for something like 18 years, I know how to power game, especially in a module that is historically infamous for being difficult. Hell I've even played TOEE in 2nd and 3rd edition. I know what I was getting into.

I even know that first encounter was bad luck from the RNG, but it remains the predominant memory of TOEE, which is a bad thing for the game.

19. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 03:17 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:16:
If you reroll your character more than 10 times in PnP DnD you are kicked out of the group and never again invited. I actually played core 2.0e on paper, but nevermind that

What he said was to cheese the roll system which some people consider part of gameplay, i consider it an atrocity (maybe because we had a cool house rule that only 3 throws were allowed and you were allowed to switch 2 stats (their throws). Which greatly enhanced roleplaying and reduced this reroll cheese crap. Yes we were noobcakes for not going the "1 throw thats it" way. But then again, given our unlucky throws....

the ruleset implementation also has nothing to do with the balance of a campaign. I have seen newbie game masters handle the bad rolls and still make a challenging but fun campaign which is the WHOLE POINT of DnD. Roleplaying, not cheese caking your characters to 18 18 18 or being dependent on lucky crits or lucky misses (or indeed, lucky everything).
Jepp, QFT.

18. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 01:54 killer_roach

entr0py wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 00:53:
Temple of Elemental Evil came out a year after Icewind Dale 2. . . Maybe you're confusing it with Pool of Radiance?

Which might explain his opinion of it... man, did Pool of Radiance suck...

17. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 00:59 Paranoid Jack

What I loved about ToEE was it had (up to that point) the best turn based combat of any cRPG. I'd roll a new group and play the game in hardcore. Even if that meant I would most likely lose my entire group within an hour or two of play. And I fondly remember pulling numerous party members from the clutches of the giant toad's mouth... and losing several too.  

16. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 00:53 entr0py

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:28:
I never played TOEE when it came out, only played it after IWD2 came out

Temple of Elemental Evil came out a year after Icewind Dale 2. . . Maybe you're confusing it with Pool of Radiance?

15. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 23:45 space captain

are you seriously comparing pen and paper RPG gaming with video game RPGs?

fucking get real man - one is controlled by a consumer level computer one is controlled by an actual human being.. there is more than a slight discrepancy there

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 23:28 eRe4s3r

I played both IWD1/2 (in HOF) and BG1/2/Tob (Normal) through so i know my way around difficulty.. but maybe you are right, i have become soft.

Or maybe i have just become incompatible to paper and book PnP on the PC implementation of DnD 3.5e. I never played TOEE when it came out, only played it after IWD2 came out and found it absolutely hilariously broken compared to IWD2. Mainly because i am not allowed to play a Dreadmaster of Bane in TOEE my 2nd favorite obscure RP class

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2010, 23:39.

13. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 23:16 eRe4s3r

If you reroll your character more than 10 times in PnP DnD you are kicked out of the group and never again invited. I actually played core 2.0e on paper, but nevermind that

What he said was to cheese the roll system which some people consider part of gameplay, i consider it an atrocity (maybe because we had a cool house rule that only 3 throws were allowed and you were allowed to switch 2 stats (their throws). Which greatly enhanced roleplaying and reduced this reroll cheese crap. Yes we were noobcakes for not going the "1 throw thats it" way. But then again, given our unlucky throws....

the ruleset implementation also has nothing to do with the balance of a campaign. I have seen newbie game masters handle the bad rolls and still make a challenging but fun campaign which is the WHOLE POINT of DnD. Roleplaying, not cheese caking your characters to 18 18 18 or being dependent on lucky crits or lucky misses (or indeed, lucky everything).

12. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 22:55 Zyrxil

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 22:43:
What you just said was, do not roleplay in a game thats supposedly an RPG. ;)
What he said was "play a game that strives to be a very close implementation of the PnP style like you actually know how to play the PnP version".

11. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 22:52 Aphex

Are you serious? It wasn't even that hard, I played this a long time ago, when it was ultra buggy and downloaded the circle of 8 mods which made it more difficult, I mean it was challenging.

It's something games lack these days, all these new age rpgs are total n00b friendly there is no penalty for making retarded decisions, don't you enjoy a challenge, you have to think about the party you are building...

I know it isn't WoW or Guildwars, its the way rpgs should be, who wants to play on easy mode?

Perhaps this is the problem?
Kids cant handle old school rpgs anymore

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo