Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V Patch Plans

The 2K Forums have word on plans for the first major patch for Sid Meier's Civilization V, though there is no set plan for when this will be released yet (thanks The Patches Scrolls). The list of planned changes follows.

UI

• Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.
  • Aircraft banner corrections – now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
  • Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.
  • Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.
  • Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.
  • Fix for full-screen game when running dual monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the “open” side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.
  • Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.
  • Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen. Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.
  • Auto-populate save menu with save file name
  • Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen
  • Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen

MODDING

• Category list now displays correctly

GAMEPLAY

• Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don’t change what you decide was best for a plot).
  • Workers - Fixed bug where number of turns to complete were incorrect in build action button tool-tip.
  • Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.
  • Economy – Increased city wealth setting to 25%
  • Economy – Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.
  • Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).
  • Trade – Found and corrected a Trade problem that could cause your Resource inventory to multiply.
  • City States - Fixed a bug where you could not gift aircraft to city states.
  • Military - Medic promotion now only provides healing bonus for adjacent units.
  • Military – Fix for Minuteman movement.
  • Military – Correct promotions for “archer-like” units (horse archers, chariots).
  • Military - Embarked units will no longer slow enemy land units
  • Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.
  • Balance - Engineers +1 hammer

AI

• Military – Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.) .
  • Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often
  • Military – Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces
  • Diplomacy – AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.
  • Diplomacy – Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).
  • City – City specialization and city focus improvements.
  • City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected
  • Workers – Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements
  • Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

MULTIPLAYER

• Exploit – Fix for gifting unit exploit
  • Chat – Color-coding, sound alerts, etc., added for in-game chat system, including a larger window.
  • Deals – Additional deal validation put in place to verify deals before they are committed

MISC

• Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
  • Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
  • Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
  • Map – Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
  • Map – Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)
  • Strategic View – Crash fix for units rendering in background.
  • Strategic View – Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.
  • Eyefinity – Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.
  • Tutorials – Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.
  • Multiple crash fixes.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 13:39 Verno

Don't get me wrong Maxx, your points were well written and reasoned, I'm not trying to sound confrontational or something I do agree that the system in general is a great idea and fit for this series but like you said, the implementation is all wrong.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 10:01 NewMaxx

I can't disagree with you about city-states as your analysis is fairly spot-on. They do feel tacked on to "prop up gameplay mechanics," I never said otherwise. In fact I went out of my way to point out that they were basically re-imagining the systems used in another contemporary strategy series, and city-states were a part of that change. In other words, it's a cheap way to fuse that into Civilization.

I also agreed that they were poorly implemented in that they need a lot more "refinement and balancing" as I put it. That pretty much agrees with what you just reiterated. I do stand by my comment on gold, though, but again that's because I'm comparing it to the system used in many other strategy games, whereby it is a commodity in and of itself. I liken it to how RTS games in the last 5-10 years have all gone from tons of factions and resource types to basically 3 factions and 1 or 2 resources: basically, gold here is the one thing a player can mess with and more or less not have to worry about anything else (keep in mind I mean the casual player in this instance).

Many of my original points were not directly in reply to yours, so I apologize if it seemed that way. Fact is I think we agree on most aspects when it comes to CS, I was just taking the broader view and comparing it to other game implementations. I would never in any way, shape, or form call this implementation good. I just think the idea fits this specific series pretty well, as again they are trying to stay accessible and modern while maintaining a hybrid of tactics and strategy. And like the past game in the series, it still needs a lot of work for this to be realized properly.

18. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 09:21 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 00:31:
I've seen plenty of terrible AI diplomacy. They will offer very generous peace treaties sometimes, even when you're not about to topple half their cities, but if you have them surrounded and crush a few cities, they seem to refuse practically any concessions on their part, even though they face certain destruction. It's really quite dumb.

I had that happen last night, it was quite amusing. As China I was totally destroying Persia. The leader approaches me when I killed one of his crappy cities and offers something absurd like this:

Open Borders
15 gold per turn
485 gold
Bunch of luxury resources
4 Horses for 45 turns.

He's a serious threat in my game and I can't leave him unchecked so I turn it down so I can kill him. Later on I'm actually bombarding his capital and he's lost every other city, he offers peace concessions consisting of open borders and refuses any material counter-offer I make. So he'll give me everything in the world to spare his one shitty city but he won't save his capital for 50g. Bizarre.

Honestly, that was also my first impression. After tweaking the game a bit and changing my play style, I've discovered that instead it is basically part of their approach to ripping off the casus belli system (and perhaps the gold/economy balance) from Europa Universalis.

I'm not sure how playing EU would change my opinion of this system. If you weigh city-states objectively, they are there to prop up gameplay mechanics and the only real way to curry favor with enough to make a difference is with gold. There is no way around that analysis either, it's just the way it is in game.

Some people might say its great because they can force production or gold instead of food and hey whatever but let's not confuse that with an intelligently thought out gameplay mechanic. How do city states provide food? They give a static amount per turn, per era, per city. They don't give out food based on their own population which would make sense. They don't give you less food because they're already giving Greece food. If city states had limited resources to give to allies then they might be a far more interesting dynamic.

I know they're terrible because I'm abusing the shit out of them right now in my current game. The only food tiles I have are happenstance, everything is dumped into science/gold/production indiscriminately and without thought. Every single tile improvement is based on gold, production or science. I am not forced into one "spec", I can literally do everything by just abusing the system. If I was forced to make a choice then maybe the system would have impact and meaning but instead I get fast science, great gold income and excellent production so I am first on wonders 90% of the time and have an entire era lead on the competition despite their advantages from the high difficulty setting.

City states suck any way you look at it. Maybe their implementation sucks less in another game and makes more sense in that context but here in Civ5 they are fucking terrible. Thankfully, you can turn them off. Unfortunately the game's Civ AI is even more glaring when you only have them to interact with. I love a lot of the streamlining in Civ 5 and I don't agree with people who claim it's "dumbed down", I just think that there are some serious bugs, a lack of playtesting and some poorly thought out gameplay mechanics that need adjustment.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 09:33.

17. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 01:42 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 14:33:
The whole city-state system needs an overhaul, they are strictly a gold dump. It's one of the most transparent and pointless game mechanics I've seen in a Civilization game.

Honestly, that was also my first impression. After tweaking the game a bit and changing my play style, I've discovered that instead it is basically part of their approach to ripping off the casus belli system (and perhaps the gold/economy balance) from Europa Universalis. I say part, because there are some other game elements that also do so. Once I made this realization, I quickly figured out how to best exploit it, and it is actually a decent idea. It does need some refinement and balancing, though.

If you haven't played EU seriously then you might not understand what I mean. Essentially, though, the city-states provide you with a way to create wars on your own terms, divert potential troublemakers, and prepare for invasions, flanking tactics, etc. Their bonuses are in fact there to boost your "spec" (or remove weaknesses) based on your civilization and civil choices.

At first glance this does seem like a gold dump, until you realize that gold doesn't work the same way in this game that it did in previous ones. If you spec your country towards gold production, you likely also want things like the purchase unit discount civil, maritime CS bonus, etc., therefore making gold more of a strategic resource rather than just a ratio you tweak artificially for science or happiness; it is much more organic and has ties to everything else.

Taken together, I see the other changes (hexes, one unit tile tactics, etc.) as an indication Civilization is going in the direction of a hybrid between tabletop games and a hardcore EU approach, without the complexity. I hated it at first, complained nonstop about how it wasn't Civ and was dumbed down, but now I "get" it: it's not a dumbed-down Civ, it's a dumbed-down "strategy" game, which is what Civ always was...they are just keeping up with advances made in other series.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 01:50.

16. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 00:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I've seen plenty of terrible AI diplomacy. They will offer very generous peace treaties sometimes, even when you're not about to topple half their cities, but if you have them surrounded and crush a few cities, they seem to refuse practically any concessions on their part, even though they face certain destruction. It's really quite dumb.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 14, 2010, 00:05 Nate

In my games I haven't had bizarre AI behavior. Its just been stupendously bad at tatically using its units. It also doesn't handle oceans.

Otherwise the AI grows its Civs quite well but does tend to spam cities. Part of the problem seems to be that certain of the AI personalities aren't as good as some of the others.

14. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 23:03 Pankin

I'm a new Civ player so I don't have much experience to know the substantive differences between V and IV...

but...

Of the 10 or so campaigns I've played in Civ V, I've always had to go to war. Always. I've ordered Civ IV (incl Warlords and BtS) from Amazon for $17 to get an idea of what diplomatic play feels like. Yes, I know I can get it thru Steam but I don't wanna.

But man, Amazon users sure seem to genuinely dislike the simplified Civ V!

13. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 21:27 eRe4s3r

I've had this bug as well just different. Captured city, choose puppet... suddenly i get a construction popup the next turn, thing was.. it was the puppet city. Needless to say i filled the queue and it build that, though i could never again access the queue...

So much for random stuff happening in this game. Besides the AI dumbness of course. I have had nations declaring war at me while I was fighting with them against THEIR enemies. And was attacked with about 30 units (archers/spearmen/warrior era) . I won barely and suddenly the AI pleaded for peace with a very high sum (400+ gold) i accepted, 10 rounds later i get declared war again by the same AI .. only that now i had my armies around their capital and quickly struck. I asked surrender again and now they did not accept anything but a pure peace treaty... i dropped the idea and wiped them out.

Stupid, Stupid AI

12. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 20:37 Bucky

I was just about to start my first game on a large map, now I may hold off until the patch hits.

I've encountered most of these bugs, so it's all welcome changes. The puppet-state production bug was an annoying one, though the easy workaround was to simply force the turn to end (shift-enter) until the puppet state was out of revolt, at which time it would start producing something on it's own. Alternately you could just annex is the city, but it's hard to figure out which one is the cause of the bug when you've just had 10 surrendered to you.

11. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 20:24 theyarecomingforyou

Personally I'm having a blast with the game. Certainly it needs some tweaks / changes but nothing that destroys the game - it's not fundamentally broken like Civ4: Colonization was.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 19:50 BIGtrouble77

Still haven't picked this game up because I'm worried about all of the comments regarding the AI. I started playing Galactic Civilizations II again and am still blown away by how smart the AI is and how well balanced this game is. Since Stardock hasn't released anything interesting in a while, I feel like I have to go to Paradox for any games with decent AI these days.  

9. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 17:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Lots of good fixes. Wonder if they fixed the AI not sending land units across deep ocean to attack, but only sticking to shallow areas. Not sure if that's included in the AI fixes or not.

Definitely still needs a lot of work on the AI, as everyone has apparently noticed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 14:42 DG

Pretty much every Civ game needs quite a lot of tweaking & fixing to make right, but does get a lot of support.  

7. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 14:33 Verno

The whole city-state system needs an overhaul, they are strictly a gold dump. It's one of the most transparent and pointless game mechanics I've seen in a Civilization game. The whole "quest" thing they tried to do falls flat on its arse because half of those missions are one city state telling you to kill the other and if you don't do it then you don't see another one unless another Civ takes them out.  

6. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 14:30 AirWreck

Speaking of city-states, I don't see mention of tweaking their bonuses. The maritime ones can basically take care of your entire empire's food needs while military ones don't provide free units very often.  

5. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 13:51 Techie714 ©

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 13:22:
The cultural victory option is kind of a joke, you basically accomplish it totally through exploiting the city-state system(which is fairly basic itself) and so it's more of a gold victory system. The AI is inherently broken, making seemingly random and bizarre demands then getting hostile when you turn them down or offer reasonable counter-trades. Every game basically devolves into you constantly being at war with one or more Civ's but unlike the previous games your unit cap is severely limited here by the unit maintenance costs.

Frankly it's not a horrible game or something but much of the game's depth has been replaced by newer or modified systems that need more work.

I'm new to the Civ series & I completely agree with your post. particularly the last few sentences. =)

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 13:22 Verno

The cultural victory option is kind of a joke, you basically accomplish it totally through exploiting the city-state system(which is fairly basic itself) and so it's more of a gold victory system. The AI is inherently broken, making seemingly random and bizarre demands then getting hostile when you turn them down or offer reasonable counter-trades. Every game basically devolves into you constantly being at war with one or more Civ's but unlike the previous games your unit cap is severely limited here by the unit maintenance costs.

Frankly it's not a horrible game or something but much of the game's depth has been replaced by newer or modified systems that need more work.

3. Re: Missed One Oct 13, 2010, 13:18 cronik

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 12:52:
Agree, it seems like EVERY Civilization only wants war.

It's a realistic portrayal of all civilization, man needs chaos and destruction and deep down he revels in it.

2. Re: Missed One Oct 13, 2010, 12:52 Techie714 ©

Agree, it seems like EVERY Civilization only wants war. Try beating the game from a diplomatic perspective no way. =(  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Missed One Oct 13, 2010, 11:42 Quboid

They need one more:
Diplomacy - AI will make, and consider, reasonable offers in trade and peace negotiations.

Otherwise, this looks good and seems to address a lot of issues. There are balance issues that need to be looked at.

- Quboid

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo