Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Bashing

In the vein of the 2004 EA Spouse incident comes a blog called EA Louse, which is ostensibly by an EA/Mythic employee disgruntled because he will be laid off next month. The blog has scathing comments, saying Mythic is dying, the project leaders on Warhammer "did not know what they were doing," Mark Jacobs was fired, that BioWare has spent more money on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ($300 million) than James Cameron spent on Avatar, that in spite of that the Star Wars MMOG is "a joke," and more. He sums up his concerns saying: "So there it is. Rewarding the incompetent. Firing the competent," and explains his anonymity saying: "I say it anonymously so I can keep my next few paychecks coming." It should be stressed again, however, that this has not been confirmed as being genuine. Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

121. Re: EA Bashing Oct 19, 2010, 13:54 Beamer

Or, at least, more competent and knowledgeable than the people being placed under the hands-on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

120. Re: EA Bashing Oct 18, 2010, 19:55 Prez

'Hands-on' is only good if the hands belong to competent, knowledgeable people.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

119. Re: EA Bashing Oct 18, 2010, 18:01 Beamer

The recent updates say the problem with EA is that it wasn't hands-on enough.

That'll go over well with the opinion most have of why EA is bad.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

118. Re: EA Bashing Oct 18, 2010, 13:32 Rockn-Roll

A lot of interesting comments. Problems of this kind always happened before...some company in the public eye treats it's employees like squat product...one employee has the kahunas to talk to the press about it. The major difference now is that with the internet the employee can make it public by himself...in the past the press would usually decide not to publish things like this.

So, my comment is to wake up everyone...the majority of people in control of wealth and product in the world are horrible people that care only that they have more wealth than everyone else even if it means destroying the lives of everyone else under them in their company...and they tend to do that on a regular basis. The problem is that there's always someone in need of a job that is willing to work for these people.

The solution path begins with communication...the more we learn about this kind of stuff the more likely we will find a fix.

Let's Rock!

117. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 19:55 Mr. Tact

I have no problem believing they've spent $300 million on KOR. I watched my own company spend $100+ million on an educational product that never saw the light of day. And they effectively killed two other profitable products in favor the doomed one. It was clear upper management (read as "Director" and above) were clueless about the qualities of the various products.

I know specifically in one instance where the lead dev. for a product -- a guy with a team of 25-30 guys under him went to the VP of Software Dev. to explain to him why the VP's plan wasn't viable. Spent two hours systematically going over each major point in the plan and why it wouldn't work. Six months later the dev. team is layed-off. Six months later the VP gets a bonus for "cost reduction". Then the VP leaves to another company shortly after that.

The product which lost its dev. team crawled along as a static product for 6 or 7 years before the lack of dev. effectively killed it.

Welcome to corporate America.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

116. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 14:05 Verno

bhcompy wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:53:
Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:47:
Dev wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:40:
Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:16:
Will KOR beat WoW? No, it won't. Nothing ever will. It's too firmly established, and the only thing that can ever beat it is Blizzard giving up on it.

Blizzard's next MMO might though. I'm not sure if its smart to split up communities like that, but I think I've seen blues blurbs about another blizzard MMO in the works.

But it's going to suffer exactly the same problem as every other MMO. It has to compete with WoW, which has been polished and expanded upon for 6 to 7 years. People will play it, see it's nowhere near the level of WoW, and then just go back to WoW.

As long as everyone would rather just keep grinding the same raid over and over with a level 80 character, no new MMO really stands a chance, regardless of the developer.

Creston

They said the same thing about EverQuest.

The original? The market was pretty small at that point so no one really had a clue what the ceiling was. Look at how quickly that game was abandoned once better alternatives were available. You can't get away with that kind of thing the way you could pre-WoW days. If you mean Everquest 2, well I wouldn't argue that survival is necessarily indicative of success.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

115. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 13:53 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:47:
Will KOR beat WoW? No, it won't. Nothing ever will. It's too firmly established, and the only thing that can ever beat it is Blizzard giving up on it.

Blizzard's next MMO might though. I'm not sure if its smart to split up communities like that, but I think I've seen blues blurbs about another blizzard MMO in the works.

But it's going to suffer exactly the same problem as every other MMO. It has to compete with WoW, which has been polished and expanded upon for 6 to 7 years. People will play it, see it's nowhere near the level of WoW, and then just go back to WoW.

As long as everyone would rather just keep grinding the same raid over and over with a level 80 character, no new MMO really stands a chance, regardless of the developer.

Creston

They said the same thing about EverQuest.

114. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 12:02 Kxmode

This whole thing is like the last hour and a half of Titanic, after the boat hits the iceberg. It's basically sinking slowly... and a lot of people are going to die!

Popcorn

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 17:08.

113. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 10:54 ASeven

New post on the blog, boys and girls.

The plot thickens, or rather, the drama thickens.

112. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 08:22 Eldaron Imotholin

Haha I expected something like this to develop after my post. And I wholeheartedly agree! I'm a whiner who whines about other whiners whining about a whiner's blog full of whining!

Hey! Atleast I'm not whining about the whiner yet pretending I'm not a whining whiner. Wankers! <3

edit: typo

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 09:18.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

111. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 07:54 ASeven

This thread is now about Classic Greek philosophy on whining.

Socrates: Ah damn, this crap tastes funny, you could have added some sugar, whine whine whine.

110. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 07:08 Overon

He who says someone is "whining," would call the "whining" a legitimate complain if he agreed with it. But he doesn't hence calling it "whining."  

109. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 07:05 Prez

ASeven wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 06:54:

He who whines last whines the best.

At least you didn't whine about me whining about Eldaron wh... ah, screw it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

108. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 06:54 ASeven

Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 06:38:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 03:28:
Its funny how people here are whining so fucking much about that blog guy whining. Especially considering that some guys here on Bluesnews do nothing else but whine with the delusional thought they're hogging the intellectual spotlight with their "witty" remarks.

If I whine about you whining about people whining about the blogger's whining, will you whine about my whining about your whining about people's whining about his whining?

He who whines last whines the best.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2010, 07:00.

107. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 06:38 Prez

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 03:28:
Its funny how people here are whining so fucking much about that blog guy whining. Especially considering that some guys here on Bluesnews do nothing else but whine with the delusional thought they're hogging the intellectual spotlight with their "witty" remarks.

If I whine about you whining about people whining about the blogger's whining, will you whine about my whining about your whining about people's whining about his whining?

- Mahatma Gandhi

106. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 05:29 Bhruic

Most people don't want to do that. Competing with WoW is actually pretty easy because it's not a zero-sum game. Which is to say that you can play (and pay for) more than one MMO at a time. The issue is that the market gets more and more dilluted with every release. And while some MMOs do shut their doors, new ones pop up faster than that happens.

105. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 03:28 Eldaron Imotholin

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

104. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 00:14 Prez

You'd reckon that a fantastic Star Wars MMORPG would be something that EVERYONE would want? I have no idea whether KOR will be able to deliver, but to label it as trash before it's even been seen by the public at large is crazy.

The only thing I want less than a Star Wars MMORPG is a case of the crabs - I detest MMOs. I'll take KOTOR 3 thank you very much!

- Mahatma Gandhi

103. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 00:12 Verno

You'd reckon that a fantastic Star Wars MMORPG would be something that EVERYONE would want? I have no idea whether KOR will be able to deliver, but to label it as trash before it's even been seen by the public at large is crazy.

Star Wars Galaxies

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

102. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 23:47 Creston

Creston

121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo