Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU

Steam News announces the release of ArcaniA – Gothic 4 for European territories, which should also now be available through other digital distributors, as it is now the 12th across the pond. The role-playing sequel from Spellbound Entertainment was previously expected on the 12th (tomorrow) in North America, as well, but last week DreamCatcher Interactive and JoWooD Entertainment announced the NA version of the game is now expected next week on October 19.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 15, 2010, 06:39 Eldaron Imotholin

Oh it certainly is different in English! Like I said, the voice-acting is nicely done and that even comes from a person that's really picky on that stuff.

Right now I really don't know what bugs or performance issues you're talking about. The hotfix probably fixed them? The game runs great with everything on high (quadcore i5 2,6ghz, ATI 5780HD, 4gb RAM) and I had no crashes so far. There are 3 spells you can put experience points into, and then there's RUNES that you can find. Runes have a cooldown system, like most World of Warcraft skills. One rune, for example, increases your running speed and another increases your damage output while it costs you your defense. I've heard there's also a spell that can make you control time... but I don't know. So far I've only found two runes.

The only thing I find annoying is the main story. The hero has a hate for Rhobar that I cannot feel, and now I'm at a part that I simply completely lost why it is he needs to get to the archives :\ Me getting lost in a story in this way never happens.

Oh well

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 14, 2010, 23:48 eRe4s3r

Mhh, but now i am already committed to waiting Maybe will grab it when theres some xmas sales. What i saw in the videos though, the rain seems to look amazing, with puddles forming and everything becoming properly wet in a way that not even Stalker could manage. So maybe the game is worth to be played purely for the atmosphere once they patch the bugs balance and performance problems out.

For the Dialog they Demo'd the German version though. One can definitely hear and see that no Native German ever came close to this Translation or if he did, he did not have a clue how to speak German ;/ Maybe its different in English?

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 14, 2010, 21:22 Eldaron Imotholin

It's your loss, mate. It's a good game. It really turns out to be.

The voice-acting is good, too. Some characters are really funny and some of the actors evidently really put their soul into their characters.

The fighting is kinda boring, but fun still. I stun them with electricity and then hack into them. Gothic difficulty.

The weather effects are great, sounds included. It also seems that the further I'm getting into the game, the less invisible walls. Really strange.

As for the floating corpses: I never encountered that shit.

It's obvious that the video you watched were made by nitpicking pieces of shit with no life. You liked Risen, I liked Risen. I'm sure you'll be entertained by Arcania.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 13, 2010, 22:59 eRe4s3r

hrm... too late Already decided to drop this until its in the bargain bin, mainly because there was a great "video demontage" in the main german pc mag. Stuff like horrible physics and feeling of the main character, broken animations when picking stuff up, floating corpses you can't loot. And only 3 spells you can learn. And bad dialog - with examples given that truly made me cringe.

I think i will just do some creative 3D things again instead of playing games... .

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 13, 2010, 19:25 Eldaron Imotholin

To Ereaser:

On second thought.. I really think you'll like the game. I've been playing it the whole afternoon and evening! Something in that game keeps you going and despite what I said earlier.. I think that if you liked Risen, you'll like this one too even though they're not at all that similar.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 13, 2010, 09:33 Eldaron Imotholin

JayDeath wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 08:55:
Is it anything like Risen? Risen was fun. Maybe I'll wait for Risen 2.

It's nothing like Gothic ergo nothing like Risen.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 13, 2010, 08:55 JayDeath

Is it anything like Risen? Risen was fun. Maybe I'll wait for Risen 2.  
Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 19:21 eRe4s3r

Thanks.. mhhh, so i will pass up on this for a while  

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 18:16 Eldaron Imotholin

Ereaser,

It's hard for me to say if it's better or worse than Gothic 3. I personally never wanted to compare it with the Gothic series in the first place. Actually, I didn't even know Arcania was Gothic 4 untill much later this year. I always thought it was some sort of spiritual successor or whatever.

Anyway, if you want me to compare it with Gothic, then calling this game Gothic 4 is a bigger shame to the Gothic series than Gothic 3 ever was. Most of the best things from the Gothic series are missing. No, not just "not there". I really want to call it MISSING, because that's what it feels like.

Examples:

1. No reaction from NPCs when you draw your weapon
2. NPCs are not gonna try to beat the crap out of you when you empty their house.
3. Invisible walls

I can truly go on and on.

The visuals are good but they remind me too much Divinity 2. I can say the same about the feel of the gameplay. That's not a good thing, btw.

Combat is hack & slash ridden with fucked up and incoherent animations. Again, just like Divinity 2.

Still...

The story keeps you going, if you're bored and out of better options.
The world is entertaining to explore, if you're bored and out of better options.
The level-up system keeps you going, if you're bored and out of better options.
The hero looks like a dork.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 12:49 eRe4s3r

Playing Demos is so 1990 cba to download install and uninstall that thing for 20 minutes of demo time.

Besides that doesn't tell me how buggy and glitchy the main game is... or how many broken quests there are

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 12:33 Jerykk

I really can't decide this from gameplay vids, combat looks better than Risen and i liked Risen.

You could just play the demo. The combat is not better than Risen's. It's infinitely more shallow and far less challenging.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 11:30 eRe4s3r

So to squeeze a more Informative thing out of you. Would you say its better or worse than Gothic 3. I really can't decide this from gameplay vids, combat looks better than Risen and i liked Risen. If the Story is even half-way decent then it should be a good rpg no?

And really, theres no better option out right now so if its not TOTAL crap then it ought to be a nice diversion and occupy for at least 20 hours

Question is whether its fun or not really, not whether its true to gothic or whatever such nonsense. Not to mention i don't care a bit about scores .. i don't play rpgs for score but for story and exploration.

Apparently theres going to be a patch fairly soon too.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 10:43 Eldaron Imotholin

Having played the full game I'll say one thing that every gamer might understand so perfectly, that more needs not be said.

The game is good and entertaining if you're bored and out of better options.

I hope that line helped some peeps decide. I knew it would've helped me.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 10:10 LittleMe

Kajetan wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 01:59:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 22:02:
I'd say the reviews hanging around 75% are above mediocre.
Forget the reviews, play the game for yourself ...

Yes I've been planning on that for some while. The conversation wasn't so much about my opinion but rather that 75% is above a mediocre score. 60-65 is mediocre in my opinion. 75% is entering the lands of a good or decent game worth playing for fans of the genre.

considering the hardware requirements, it doesnt look "that" nice. No, it's not the new Crysis of RPG. And the gameplay is far from everything, which made the first Gothic so memorable. Arcania is a cheap clicking game for RPG casuals. The story is bland, the dialogue cheesy, the combat shallow. Wait until the price drops under 20 € or $ or whatever your currency may be ...

As for your own personal opinions on the game, I find them rather petty especially since you didn't even follow your own advice and play the game yourself (demo doesn't really count).

Perpetual debt is slavery.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 09:33 Zyrxil

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KvSRWs_w4
is the Arcania combat system. Whether that is worse than the super-wildlife of Gothic 3 is up for debate.

To quote RPGWatch:

Painful verdict

It is remarkable that if you try to forget the fact it’s a Gothic game [...] you might like to play it. Although the game experience is far from phenomenal, it would be unfair to claim the game was really boring.
[...] As latest Gothic game Arcania: Gothic 4 is worthless, as RPG insignificant and as Hack & Slash game slightly entertaining.
[...] Playing the demo might be a good test, but know only the first few hours are really enjoyable. Once you get to the main island, the experience collapses.

Pro:
- decent combat system
- very atmospheric graphics [The reviewer says the weather effects are top notch.; Ed.]

Cons:
- below average quests and dialogs
- very heavy system requirements
- linear, short and unfinished [They mean cut content, not bugs.; Ed.]

Final verdict: Arcania is a slap in the face of Gothic- and RPG fans, but does offer an enjoyable Hack&Slash experience in a good looking world.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 08:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Mac wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 07:30:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 05:31:
The combat is far more enjoyable than Risen or Gothic 1-3, but it is definitely on the too easy side.

Eh, can't really agree with you there. To me, challenge is a huge part of combat's appeal. I loved the combat in Gothic and Risen (moreso Gothic) because it was challenging. You had to learn each enemy's attack behaviors and then you had to counter them with perfectly timed dodges, blocks and attacks. In Arcania, you just button mash until an enemy charges up their extremely slow and painfully obvious power move, at which point you roll away. Rinse and repeat for every enemy.

Based on the demo, the reviews and what you've said here, Arcania is a terrible sequel to the Gothic games as it fails to improve or even retain the most appealing elements of the series.

I agree - that is why I have set it to Gothic difficulty, rather than the default Normal. But the fighting still feels better in Gothic 4, than Risen ... just my opinion of course.
Does the Gothic difficulty setting make the combat any better, or do you just follow the same pattern and rinse and repeat more times per enemy?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 08:43 Kajetan

necrosis wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 08:31:
And if I don't like it then what am I suppose to do? Return it to the store?
No, delete the downloaded image. If you like, what you see, buy the game.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 08:31 necrosis

Kajetan wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 01:59:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 22:02:
I'd say the reviews hanging around 75% are above mediocre.
Forget the reviews, play the game for yourself ...
And if I don't like it then what am I suppose to do? Return it to the store? LOL

As much as one might hate game reviews with less and less demos coming out there is no other way to see for yourself if the game is good or not.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 07:30 Mac

Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 05:31:
The combat is far more enjoyable than Risen or Gothic 1-3, but it is definitely on the too easy side.

Eh, can't really agree with you there. To me, challenge is a huge part of combat's appeal. I loved the combat in Gothic and Risen (moreso Gothic) because it was challenging. You had to learn each enemy's attack behaviors and then you had to counter them with perfectly timed dodges, blocks and attacks. In Arcania, you just button mash until an enemy charges up their extremely slow and painfully obvious power move, at which point you roll away. Rinse and repeat for every enemy.

Based on the demo, the reviews and what you've said here, Arcania is a terrible sequel to the Gothic games as it fails to improve or even retain the most appealing elements of the series.

I agree - that is why I have set it to Gothic difficulty, rather than the default Normal. But the fighting still feels better in Gothic 4, than Risen ... just my opinion of course.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 12, 2010, 05:31 Jerykk

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo