Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"

Computer and Video Games quotes comments Steve Gibson made at the London Games Festival about the competition between Valve's Steam service and Microsoft's Games for Windows, where the Gearbox marketeer said the two companies are "building silos" which "hurt the PC industry." Gibson implores them to "play nice," and says "Our big concern right now is that these silos are being built. Everybody's separating out and it's really... as a developer who just wants gamers to be able to play games together, it's frustrating right now. Things like that are hurting the PC industry for gamers. This is frustrating for everybody right now." Thanks joao.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:54 xXBatmanXx

about the competition between Valve's Steam service and Microsoft's Games for Windows,

Competition? What competition?
MS can't even touch Valve.

(heh, I see others said the same thing)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:50 Muscular Beaver

Warskull wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:58:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:25:
The only service I like is D2D or similar. Steam is only hurting PC gaming, and so are any other similar forms of DRM, dressed like "advantages for the customer".

You know those huge sales you enjoy buying games through D2D? Steam came up with that and via competition forced all the other digital delivery services to start using aggressive sales. PC Gamers as a whole won out.

Steam actually does add a lot of value.

It added more and more services like Steam, that do nothing but force the customer to use stuff he doesnt need. Ubisoft is the best example. I said that right from the start of Steam that it will only bring PC gamers more chains to their hands/feet. And it did. I also dont see the added value. I had all that before without forced DRM, and I was never too lazy or stupid to switch tasks.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

29. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:49 Cutter

What competition? There's no competition here at all.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

28. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:46 Muscular Beaver

CannibalBob wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:51:
ochentay4 wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 13:59:
Well, If I could choose I would opt for no service.

Why we need Steam of GFWL? How gamers have been playing online and getting updates beforce this services?

I do hate GFWL and do not hate Steam, but why do I need to have Steam and be Online to play Secret Monkey Island (for example).

Have you played any games that don't have an auto-patching system? It's a huge pain in the butt updating those games and you typically don't know about those patches unless you look for them. Steam allows those games to be automatically updated and gives developers easy to use tools for those patches.

The only real advantage GFWL has over steam is that it is more integrated into the game. It can be painful with steam when you have to start it first before being able to play anything.

Thats the biggest Bullshit Ive read here since a long time.
Since when do you play games on the PC? Cant be very long.

Normally you know very well when theres a new patch when the servers tell you that you have an old version. And what the f... is hard to download a patch and install it manually?
Oh and yes, I actually play games that dont have an auto-updater (ArmA 2 for example). And Ive never had problems with that because thats how it worked before.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

27. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:23 Granz

Valve wins... MS won the console game. I love the dopes saying that Valve has hurt the PC gaming industry. What a joke... The guy saying he only uses D2D is funny too.  

26. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 17:17 MrBone

I am sure Valve and MS are paying heed to this guy's every word. They will completely drop their plans based on his recommendations...  

25. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 17:14 mag

Brumbek wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 16:55:
Well said! GFWL is a joke. The silly Gearbox employee is just trying to make a backhanded insult at Steam like Pitchford did a while back. Steam is awesome and is the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming.

Just wait until a bit gets flipped somewhere and Steam decides that you don't own any of your games anymore.

24. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 16:55 Brumbek

Well said! GFWL is a joke. The silly Gearbox employee is just trying to make a backhanded insult at Steam like Pitchford did a while back. Steam is awesome and is the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming.  

23. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 16:43 Prez

space captain wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 15:46:
People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...Itís just not right. Itís not right. Itís not, itís not going to change anything. Weíll, weíll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, weíre all stuck here for a while. Letís try to work it out. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to work it out.

- Rodney King

Yeah, and Steam just got recorded beating the ever-loving crap out of GFWL.

And it's important to note that Gibson is saying that entities like Steam (great) and GFWL (ass) essentially working inside a vacuum as separate and opposing entities is bad for gaming, not the services themselves. In this case, GFWL is an absolute abysmal failure and needs to be done away with, but in general if any such services cannot find a way to standardize rather than marginalize, PC gaming suffers.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 16:30 [VG]Reagle

Steam is the best thing to happen to games. I am so glad to be able to manage my games. I can install them at my parents home if I am visiting. Everything is updated and I can't lose a disk.

This idiot doesn't care about us. We are in good hands with Steam and Valve. Gabe cares about what we really want. This asshole cares about his paycheck.

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

21. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 16:28 [THA] Hamst3r

Dear Gearbox: Stop making console games. Gamers just want to play games together and you're separating out and it hurts the PC industry.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

20. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 16:07 derelict koan

Tumbler wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:51:
Civ V at this point is a tough pill to swallow, the game needs a lot of work and if it wasn't tied to a steam account so I couldn't trade it then I'd put it up on ebay at this point because I think it's going to be months before it's worth my time again. Dev/pubs might see this as an advantage but to consumers this is simply another reminder to never buy these games at release that you can't resell. I got it for $40 so it's a bit easier to live with but if I'd bought the game at $50 I'd be furious that I'm stuck with this product as is.

Mate, just play six months behind the release schedule, you get heaps of reviews that way and you don't really miss anything. As for GFWL, I can' t see the red light going out of that things eye until MS run out of money.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

19. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 15:46 space captain

People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...Itís just not right. Itís not right. Itís not, itís not going to change anything. Weíll, weíll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, weíre all stuck here for a while. Letís try to work it out. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to work it out.

- Rodney King

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 15:36 DG

Paketep wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:16:
Yeah, because Valve and MS are the same, have done the same damage to PC gaming, and have the same potential to do damage in the future.

You amaze me, sCary. Didn't you learn anything in all your years running the Shack?
Err, he doesn't say Steam (or GfWL) is hurting the industry, only specific policies. The gist I get is he's complaining that for everything to work together it's either everything on Steam, everything on GfWL or neither.

Entire quote from TFA is:
"[We] want people to be able to play together and right now if a guy buys a game on Games for Windows and a guy buys a game on Steam - they can't play together, If another guy bought it in a retail store, he can't play with the first two guys."

"Right now we're like 'Please, work together'. Our big concern right now is that these silos are being built. Everybody's separating out and it's really... as a developer who just wants gamers to be able to play games together, it's frustrating right now. Things like that are hurting the PC industry for gamers. This is frustrating for everybody right now."
My take on that is he's annoyed that they're basically faced with exclusive options for distribution. Much as I'd take Steam over any other any day, take my personal preference out and I can see the point. I'd be annoyed if large stores started demanding exclusive rights.

17. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 15:17 ASeven

Competition is always good to the market, regardless of what some clueless devs say. Saying that, GfWL is an abomination and Steam already won the battle but I hope Steam never gets a full monopoly of the market and other distribution venues like D2D, GamersGate and the like never disappear. Not having competition is the sure way to see any market slowly die in terms of good prices and quality of product.  

16. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 15:00 Riker

Sour grapes. Valve has earned their kingdom.  

15. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 14:58 RaZ0r!

Since when was GFWL even a player in the market?  

14. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 14:58 Warskull

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:25:
The only service I like is D2D or similar. Steam is only hurting PC gaming, and so are any other similar forms of DRM, dressed like "advantages for the customer".

You know those huge sales you enjoy buying games through D2D? Steam came up with that and via competition forced all the other digital delivery services to start using aggressive sales. PC Gamers as a whole won out.

Steam actually does add a lot of value.

13. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 14:57 Mcboinkens

Tumbler wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:51:
Civ V at this point is a tough pill to swallow, the game needs a lot of work and if it wasn't tied to a steam account so I couldn't trade it then I'd put it up on ebay at this point because I think it's going to be months before it's worth my time again. Dev/pubs might see this as an advantage but to consumers this is simply another reminder to never buy these games at release that you can't resell. I got it for $40 so it's a bit easier to live with but if I'd bought the game at $50 I'd be furious that I'm stuck with this product as is.

Steam is a great service for discount games, but for full price retails games it's a big step backward for consumers. It has everything in place to offer rentals for a few bucks or even free trials of any game for a limited time...but that isn't happening, the industry is still very much a pay first, in full, no refunds, to try these games, with luck you'll like it and enjoy owning it, if not, oh well, no refunds.

There is a reason consoles have become so popular by comparison, pc games lash out developers and publishers for jumping ships but that is where the most customers are, more people would buy on the pc if it's wasn't a big scam most of the time. Let us have trial periods of 24 hours after we purchase a game on steam. (full refund in first 24 hours if requested) offer multi day rentals for a few bucks.

If those things will cost pubs/devs too much then your products suck and you're going to go out of business anyway.

Ahahahahahaha, good one.

12. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 14:51 CannibalBob

ochentay4 wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 13:59:
Well, If I could choose I would opt for no service.

Why we need Steam of GFWL? How gamers have been playing online and getting updates beforce this services?

I do hate GFWL and do not hate Steam, but why do I need to have Steam and be Online to play Secret Monkey Island (for example).

Have you played any games that don't have an auto-patching system? It's a huge pain in the butt updating those games and you typically don't know about those patches unless you look for them. Steam allows those games to be automatically updated and gives developers easy to use tools for those patches.

The only real advantage GFWL has over steam is that it is more integrated into the game. It can be painful with steam when you have to start it first before being able to play anything.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo