Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"

Computer and Video Games quotes comments Steve Gibson made at the London Games Festival about the competition between Valve's Steam service and Microsoft's Games for Windows, where the Gearbox marketeer said the two companies are "building silos" which "hurt the PC industry." Gibson implores them to "play nice," and says "Our big concern right now is that these silos are being built. Everybody's separating out and it's really... as a developer who just wants gamers to be able to play games together, it's frustrating right now. Things like that are hurting the PC industry for gamers. This is frustrating for everybody right now." Thanks joao.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 18, 2010, 09:24 Animals for Crackers

Kinda late to respond, Pyloff, but later better than never! I really didn't mean to imply anything by it, I was genuinely curious and surprised but I guess I sorta came off differently. Apologies.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 12, 2010, 14:02 AirWreck

noman wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 01:18:
And by the way, of course I meant that I'll delete the game from my hard-disk if I end up selling it. It's the same as selling regular boxed games, and I thought it was obvious enough to be not worth mentioning.

It will always be available to you on your gog account however (depending on whatever stunts they are running). You might want to play the game you sold at a future time. How would you go about getting it again?

69. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 12, 2010, 01:18 noman

Optimaximal wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 05:58:
What's stopping me from selling (or giving away) a game I purchased on GoG?
Apart from the fact it's illegal, is a violation of GOG.com's TOS and will likely result in your account being closed if they catch you?
If you sell a GOG.com download, their system allows you to download it again & potentially sell it on, again. That would make a you a software pirate.

If you are doing what you are insinuating, you're part of the problem and the reason we have DRM-ed services such as Steam, D2D & Ubi-Online (or whatever its called).

I don't care if it's illegal, which it's very likely not, or whether GoG.com will close my account. The point is when I buy a game from GoG and download it, there is no further dependency on any other factor. I can do whatever I want with it. Just for that matter alone, GoG is always my first choice among all digital download services. I'd pay up to three four times more on GoG compared to Steam.

And by the way, of course I meant that I'll delete the game from my hard-disk if I end up selling it. It's the same as selling regular boxed games, and I thought it was obvious enough to be not worth mentioning.

68. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 20:27 Pyloff

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 20:09:

I'm a 24 year old C# dev. It's a picture from 2005.

Since I don't give a shit about spending full price on new games, and in fact encourage everyone to do so, I'm going to assume I make more money than you. Nothing's free bud. Make more than Mom and Dad too because being career salespeople the economy has lost them both their jobs repeatedly.

And as someone who as teen worked for GameStop: Yes you are that guy.
We would have just laughed about your sale price and asked you to buy a subscription to GameInformer for 10% off. Make sure to reserve Madden 2003!~

Oh snap the gloves are off...

You worked at gamestop and you laughed at me...

67. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 20:12 Sepharo

edpfister wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 20:05:
As I understand it if a game uses Steamworks then other services can't even sell it.

Not true. They just choose not to because they are forced to put their competitors product in place.

66. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 20:09 Sepharo

Pyloff wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 19:35:
Judging by your picture you are what 15 years old?

One day when you get a job, you will realize the value of a dollar. Until then, live in your free bed, eat your free food, and dream about how you will change the world.

When you actually live on your own for a few years, ask mom and dad about the ins and outs of the video gaming market place. Or better yet the ins and out of raising a know it all kid.

I'm a 24 year old C# dev. It's a picture from 2005.

Since I don't give a shit about spending full price on new games, and in fact encourage everyone to do so, I'm going to assume I make more money than you. Nothing's free bud. Make more than Mom and Dad too because being career salespeople the economy has lost them both their jobs repeatedly.

And as someone who as teen worked for GameStop: Yes you are that guy.
We would have just laughed about your sale price and asked you to buy a subscription to GameInformer for 10% off. Make sure to reserve Madden 2003!~

65. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 20:05 edpfister

GFWL is a joke and is dead as far as I'm concerned. Not sure why anyone even talks about it anymore.

I love a lot of things about Steam but I'm worried about them becoming the only option one day. Monopolies are bad. I also don't like the idea of things like Steamworks. As I understand it if a game uses Steamworks then other services can't even sell it. This is a bad thing to allow in my opinion. Since they are so popular everyone is fine with allowing this (I buy these games too). They have no incentive to not do this so it is entirely up to the consumer to stop it. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. I'm sure there is a way to provide similar features without making Steam be a requirement. To bad it won't happen. Other than that the service is great in my opinion.

64. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 19:35 Pyloff

Judging by your picture you are what 15 years old?

One day when you get a job, you will realize the value of a dollar. Until then, live in your free bed, eat your free food, and dream about how you will change the world.

When you actually live on your own for a few years, ask mom and dad about the ins and outs of the video gaming market place. Or better yet the ins and out of raising a know it all kid.

63. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 17:50 Sepharo

Pyloff wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 17:03:
Animals for Crackers wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 23:04:
Huh? You were unlucky enough to purchase a game before a sale went on and then expected them to revert your purchase to the sale price, after the fact? Do brick and mortar stores really do this?

I'm surprised that you did not know about this, and act as if I'm acting entitled. I've saved at least $150 on games just bringing the receipt in within a month and asking for the sale price. It is painless and like the other poster said garners good will. I mostly have done it at Best Buy but there are ways around that if you know the tricks.

So you're that guy.

62. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 17:03 Pyloff

Animals for Crackers wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 23:04:
Huh? You were unlucky enough to purchase a game before a sale went on and then expected them to revert your purchase to the sale price, after the fact? Do brick and mortar stores really do this?

I'm surprised that you did not know about this, and act as if I'm acting entitled. I've saved at least $150 on games just bringing the receipt in within a month and asking for the sale price. It is painless and like the other poster said garners good will. I mostly have done it at Best Buy but there are ways around that if you know the tricks.

61. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 11:02 Kajetan

Optimaximal wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 05:58:
That would make a you a software pirate.
But only, if you sell the game more than once. And it does not matter, what the TOS says, there is a first sale doctrin and THAT is all that matters for customers. Steam account informations are being traded on a regular basis and thankfully Valve can do nothing about it.

If you are doing what you are insinuating, you're part of the problem and the reason we have DRM-ed services such as Steam, D2D & Ubi-Online (or whatever its called).
We do not have DRM because of such people, but because investors and most CEOs are paranoid fucks, who are tto afraid that someone might "steal" their precious copies, that they do everything they can to make buying their games as painfull as possible.

60. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 10:16 necrosis

noman wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:41:
GFWL is superior because at least there are few games, where logging into GFWL isn't needed at all. Fallout 3 is one such game.
You obviously never bought any of the DLC for GfWL. Every release was a total clusterfuck. Downloads failing. Addon's not working if you installed your game to a drive other than C:.

Not to mention if you started a game with GfWL connected you had to dig through folders to move your saved games to the "offline" folder to continue playing and vice versa.

After the total shitfest that was I refuse to touch any GfWL game again.

59. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 11, 2010, 07:30 StingingVelvet

Yes, let us make PC gaming as console-like as possible, including having one all powerful online service controlling access to everything. How rad.

Oh wait... fuck off.

58. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 05:58 Optimaximal

Apart from the fact it's illegal, is a violation of GOG.com's TOS and will likely result in your account being closed if they catch you?
If you sell a GOG.com download, their system allows you to download it again & potentially sell it on, again. That would make a you a software pirate.

57. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 03:37 Hoop

Fuck off Gibson!
Go back & look at your bosses pre-lanuch gameplay vid for BIA hells highway.
Not only did the douche Pitchford lie to all customers on abiltity to help comrades when ingured, but he did'nt blink when talking of intuitive flanking manuvores by the enemy which turned out to be TOTAL fantasy.
Gearbox sucks cock!
Pitchford is a wanna be terrible voice actor sucking yr cock Gibson!

I hear Borderlands sucked cock only u guys ignored that to produce a game of the year addition.

Um .. Behind you...

56. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 03:15 Sudbina

Steve Gibson "clarifies" what he said in the interview at post #52:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409804

He wants an unified friend's list between the services.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2010, 03:22.

55. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 02:42 elefunk

HugeJerk wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:17:
elefunk wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 20:27:
buhh.....you realize that this has never once actually happened, right? There has not been a single game ever released where the distribution platform you buy the game through has its own separately and entirely siloed multiplayer infrastructure.

If developers are talking about this, then it is likely what is being pushed by the digital distributors. It may have not happened yet, but that doesn't mean that it won't. It would be just another SKU to deal with to a publisher, of which they already deal with many due to limitations on content in certain countries.
Seems like a nonsense accusation, not a warning of things to come. Not a single game in history has done this yet, and developers are turning away from GFW Live in droves, from the most popular games on the service like Dawn of War II, to even less-popular games like Kane and Lynch.

Whole bunch of whining and bitching and moaning over nothing.

54. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 02:20 noman

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:58:

But you can't sell them right?
Isn't that one of your major complaints about Steam?

If any thing my price point is $5 or less.

Aren't you glad Steam enables this?

I was buying game for $3-5 long before Steam came out. I still do. There are tons of deals at GoGamer, NewEgg, Frys Electronics, clearance racks at Target, Amazon and other places which usually sell games at much lower price than Steam.

53. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 01:24 nullability

Yes, exclusivity is never a good deal for the end users, but it often enables a quicker development cycle if the developers are able to use third-party multiplayer libraries like Valve's Steamworks. It's a tradeoff. If the developer is dumb/lazy enough to accept this tradeoff then that is their problem. It only hurts their product, not the industry.

And this is coming from Gearbox? I have little respect left for Gearbox at this point. After their totally broken PC multiplayer in Borderlands, it's clear they do not understand PC games. Maybe if they had used Steamworks to handle their multiplayer, Borderlands multiplayer would have been playable.

52. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 11, 2010, 00:58 Sepharo

This is where the service GoG offers is so precious. Even with the ridiculous stunt they pulled lately, I still can't pass on some of the excellent deals they continue to offer on completely DRM free games. If I keep the installer files of the games I buy, there's absolutely no restriction on when and where I can install the game.

But you can't sell them right?
Isn't that one of your major complaints about Steam?

If any thing my price point is $5 or less.

Aren't you glad Steam enables this?

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo