Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Interview

Good Old Games interview on GameZone talks with GOG.com's Marcin Iwinski about this service that offers older games freed of DRM and updated to run on modern systems. They discuss the site's hoax shutdown (which he calls a "game" rather than a "joke" in a bit of world-class hair splitting), how their re-launch has gone, what the future holds, and more. The interviewer also asks about the possibility that Sam & Max will join their catalog, and was told they are working on it. This conversation was conducted prior to Iwinski's resignation from CD Projekt, so that topic goes unaddressed.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 12, 2010, 08:04 eRe4s3r

They hopefully release IWD2 first just to annoy people  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 12:24 sauron

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 12:00:
If finding such a fix takes me an hour, I'd actually gladly pay someone else 5 bucks to do it for me. An hour of my time is worth more to me than 5 dollars.

Creston

I kind of agree with this, but more importantly,

ARE THEY RELEASING BALDUR'S GATE 2 THIS WEEK?

Cause if not, there's gonna be a riot!

Kittens!

14. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 12:00 Creston

Icewind wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 04:23:
Well that's a little underwhelming then. That fix can be applied by the end user after a little google searching.

I think a lot of their games fall under that category, actually. You just install it, google the problem and you find the fix uploaded to a forum 3 or so years ago.

99 times out of 100, that seems to be the case. It's just that 1% that I'm thankful they exist for.

If finding such a fix takes me an hour, I'd actually gladly pay someone else 5 bucks to do it for me. An hour of my time is worth more to me than 5 dollars.

Creston

13. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 06:11 Dev

Game eh? They are still not taking the apology very seriously (that was already obvious from the whole fake monk costume videos). Basically they don't think it was any big thing if it was a "game"

The problem is, if this is their normal attitude towards users (which all evidence seems to point to), that doesn't make me feel confidant about buying from them. If the whole shut down was a one time thing thats one thing, if its just a symptom of a habitual arrogance and non caring attitude towards users thats quite another.

12. Re: Lands of Lore Oct 11, 2010, 05:45 Alamar

I also really liked the Kyrandia series of adventures.

One of the only reasons I scanned the GOG list was for Kyrandia games...

Those were funny as hell... And of course, they need DOTT (Day of the Tentacle)...

Good times...

-Alamar

11. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 04:23 Icewind

Well that's a little underwhelming then. That fix can be applied by the end user after a little google searching.

I think a lot of their games fall under that category, actually. You just install it, google the problem and you find the fix uploaded to a forum 3 or so years ago.

99 times out of 100, that seems to be the case. It's just that 1% that I'm thankful they exist for.

10. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 03:48 Kajetan

Icewind wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 03:16:
Really? What was wrong with it?
Dont ask me

I installed Arx Fatalis on both my XP and Vista machine a couple years ago and the only problem was a few textures that were incompatible with modern Nvidia cards somehow.
I guess they fixed that problem.

9. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 03:16 Icewind

Kajetan wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 02:10:
Other games like "Arx Fatalis" got patches from the devs especially for GOG.com.

Really? What was wrong with it?

I installed Arx Fatalis on both my XP and Vista machine a couple years ago and the only problem was a few textures that were incompatible with modern Nvidia cards somehow. A quick Google turned up a post on Jowood's official Arx forum where some guy zipped up edited versions of the texture files that worked on nvidia cards. This was back in 07, maybe 08.

Arx actually runs perfectly in Vista, for me anyway.

8. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 02:10 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 15:38:
Yeah but thats not compatible then now is it?
It is. The game is fully playable.

If i have to use the same workarounds i have to use when i use the version i already had then whats the point of GoG.
The point is being able to buy these old games and being sure, they work on modern OS. GOG.com fixed games, which were NOT working with Vista/W7 at all, like "Knights & Merchants". Other games like "Arx Fatalis" got patches from the devs especially for GOG.com. As for others like "Messiah" or "Gorky17", they promised fixes in the future.

But besides that ... i am still waiting for the pony they promised me after shuttting down the service for a cheap marketing ploy.

7. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 01:36 StingingVelvet

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 18:20:
The point is to fill the pockets of people who are laughing their ass off at all the idiots who are buying a game they already own for the second or in some cases of extreme idiocy umpteenth time.

I mostly use the service for games I never got around to buying back in the day, but there is some attraction in getting a completely patched and pre-tweaked version of the game with no DRM or disc check and often a soundtrack. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on them, but for $5 or so it is attractive, and you support them getting more games you might not own.

That said I only bought a few I already own... the Tex Murphy games being the ones that jump out at me right now, as they are a bitch to setup and disc-swap in DosBox.

6. Lands of Lore Oct 10, 2010, 21:43 Malacai

I loved the Lands of Lore games, although I never played the 3rd. I can distinctly recall Patrick Stewart's voice announcing "Lands of Lore!" on the title screen back then. Memories!

I also really liked the Kyrandia series of adventures. I should check to see if GOG has those up.

5. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 18:20 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 15:38:
Yeah but thats not compatible then now is it? If i have to use the same workarounds i have to use when i use the version i already had then whats the point of GoG.

The point is to fill the pockets of people who are laughing their ass off at all the idiots who are buying a game they already own for the second or in some cases of extreme idiocy umpteenth time.

As for Mr. Iwinski and his little "game" remark, well, buddy come here... uncle CJ wanta play widdya. My game's called "castration" but trust me it's a whhhhoooollllle lotta fun, pal. Come here now. It won't hurt. Almost. And it's sooooo funny. Don't be shy. Come on.

4. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 15:38 eRe4s3r

Yeah but thats not compatible then now is it? If i have to use the same workarounds i have to use when i use the version i already had then whats the point of GoG.

Just google "Client MFC Application has stopped" for giggles ^^

Disabling DEP is a workaround I'd rather not use.

3. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 14:40 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:31:
What really is the prime fact is that while they claim W7 and Vista compatibility thats nothing but a lie for games like Blood2 etc.
This isnt a lie. Blood2 works with Windows7. Played it last month. Just avoid selecting resolutions above 1280x960, since the loading screen interface doesnt scale above that resolution.

2. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 14:38 Icewind

I wish they'd get a hold of Lands of Lore 3. I always wanted to play the 3rd one but can't get it working on any of my desktops. Best I've done is get it working on a very very old win2K machine but it crashes to desktop every 10-20 minutes.  

1. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 14:31 eRe4s3r

What really is the prime fact is that while they claim W7 and Vista compatibility thats nothing but a lie for games like Blood2 etc.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo