Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped

The 2K Forums have word from 2K Elizabeth that plans to bring the Minerva's Den DLC and the Protector Trials pack to the PC edition of BioShock 2 have been scrapped. She offers apologies, saying: "We will also not be offering Protector Trials and Minerva’s Den on the PC in the future – and I want to say that I’m sorry for the disappointment this will cause to PC players out there. As always, if any of these issues change in the future, I will update you guys first, but at this point in time I don’t want to make you wait any longer and these are the most definite answers I have and you guys should deem them final decisions." A later post adds a vague explanation, saying: "Timing and technical issues were the problem." Thanks Eurogamer.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

76. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 16, 2010, 03:54 Eldaron Imotholin

space captain wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 11:31:
Sempai wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 10:25:
You lost me at "Wtf are you smoking?"

I lost almost everyone long, long ago

Don't turn this into some Max Payne drama.

Speaking of which... I still cannot believe the design choices of "Max Payne 3" aka "Drunken Wife-Puncher: Molesting To The Max".

Oops, gone offtopic.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 15, 2010, 11:31 space captain

Sempai wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 10:25:

I lost almost everyone long, long ago

Go forth, and kill!

74. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 19:52 Halo

Also Halo started out as a RTS for the Mac.  

73. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 11:40 Eldaron Imotholin

Shooters fanboy wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 22:13:
Indeed Jerykk, that's an important fact. Basically what I'm trying to say is as a PC Gamer I'm unhappy with our misfortune since as far back as the Xbox's launch back in 2001 with Halo which was a PC focused game in its beginnings then becoming a Xbox franchise hence contracting "consolitis" then again with Deus Ex IW and so on. With this gen of consoles especially in the last 2 years we PC gamers are getting too much console to PC ports or multi platform design resulting in watered down PC games, need I mention one of the big ones Modern Warfare 2's non dedicated servers and no mod support was a big blow to PC gaming especially after the huge community behind the first title, that to me is clear evidence of anti-piracy and most recently Ubisoft's Splinter Cell DRM where you couldn't play the game unless you were online at all times while playing the singleplayer(seems they were driven to that extreme because of torrenting). I digress, It seems to me 2K are thinking about risk vs reward with Bio2 PC DLC and have chosen to not bother with us, surely knowing their content would be on every major torrent site within a short time of release. So I say again PC piracy(which is more rampant than console piracy) is one of two major factors that's causing the decline of the quality of PC titles the second being the consoles more affordable pricepoint, accessibility, universal fixed hardware etc.

Wall of Text crits Eldaron for 999k damage.

Seriously, boy. Piracy isn't what kills PC gaming.
Its the companies and ppl like you that utter this fuckinh crap and somehow believe it.

Oh, and neither is a console cheaper than PC gaming. Also bullshit that's been made up and repeated daily. That you believe it isnsults your own IQ.

Don't believe everything you hear. Even the ppl from bluesnews often pretend that they know what they're talking about in a convincing fashion I applaud them on.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

72. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 10:25 Sempai

- the issues begin at home, in the human mind itself.. and these issues have been in play for millennia - the only changes derive from an unfolding fractal complexity, the manifestation of nested potentials inherent in the original format

whatever evolution is possible for humanity is not related to these issues, as it engenders intelligence which breaks free of biological consideration and therefore cannot be an automatic process

the human OS is one layer, then the cultural OS layer goes on top, and then all the localized plugins are installed - but at its core the actual I/O has nothing to do with anything other than raw electricity

71. jailbreaking Oct 11, 2010, 09:36 space captain

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:07:
You know, when this net neutrality thing dies (as it's on life support now, and getting weaker), it will be interesting to see what effect ISP's severely gimping Torrent traffic, as Comcast is doing now, will have on PC game sales. Maybe if and when sales are affected not at all by greatly reduced warez downloads, we can finally stop having the "piracy is killing PC gaming" BS preached to us. They'll just find another excuse to whine about then, but at least the piracy myth can be put to bed once and for all.

heres one thing you need to realize as quick as possible: piracy will never die - not only because they are innovators and arent restricted by any particular considerations, but simply due to the fact that some people live only to "break the system" - its more of an ideal than a practical issue for the 1337

yes the technologies will change, but the principal will never die and it will always find expression in some form or another

even many years from now, when people are chipped at birth and locked into the matrix, there will be pirates cracking codes and flashing roms (or the equivalent)

its like how people are always railing against "corporate greed".. thats not the issue, its not a "corporate" thing, its a "human nature" thing - the issues begin at home, in the human mind itself.. and these issues have been in play for millennia - the only changes derive from an unfolding fractal complexity, the manifestation of nested potentials inherent in the original format

whatever evolution is possible for humanity is not related to these issues, as it engenders intelligence which breaks free of biological consideration and therefore cannot be an automatic process

the human OS is one layer, then the cultural OS layer goes on top, and then all the localized plugins are installed - but at its core the actual I/O has nothing to do with anything other than raw electricity

Go forth, and kill!

70. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 06:39 ASeven

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 06:14:
PC gamers are no different, only companies like 2K are getting away with their mistreatment and neglect.

And have rabid attack dog apologists like Finga (I'd like to give him mine...) to boot. So we get screwed AND insulted.

This. Some people are clearly idiots who don't know how to use the gray mass between their ears and are happy in being corporate whores who will bend over anything and take it like the little whiny boys they are. Finga and shooters fanboys do far more disservice to PC gaming than any pirate could ever do.

69. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 06:14 Prez

finga wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:38:
But the reality is, what IS the fucking point of trying to do business with people who are openly hostile to them?

To make money. To keep making money. Those "openly hostile" gamers on the forums paid their money, and have the right to complain when very fundamental problems have gone unaddressed for so long. Instead of being a rabid attack dog apologist for a developer who after 8 months has yet to fix very basic problems with the game that they have acknowledged to exist, ask yourself why so many people are "openly hostile" to them. Developers have a very basic obligation to fix their product in a timely manner. Who the hell are you to tell other gamers who paid for their game what they should live with? 2K has screwed up twice with their PC releases for Bioshock, and PC gamers are supposed to bow down and worship them for being so altruistic to take our money and give us an unsupported product in return? Get a grip - you have no grasp on the situation you are inexplicably so belligerent concerning.

All you are doing is making yourself sound like a child throwing a tantrum, which ironically is how you are trying to paint PC gamers.

PC gamers are no different, only companies like 2K are getting away with their mistreatment and neglect.

And have rabid attack dog apologists like Finga (I'd like to give him mine...) to boot. So we get screwed AND insulted.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 06:10 Prez

Deleted.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2010, 06:16.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

67. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 05:25 Sempai

finga wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 00:38:
Oh, everyone look at the world's smallest violin I'm playing for 2K right here.

But the reality is, what IS the fucking point of trying to do business with people who are openly hostile to them? Clearly they tried, *again*, to give it a shot, and again the PC gaming community bitched and moaned about DLC, cried about spergtastic issues like FOV/Vsync (as if this is what makes or breaks a game), and then had a nerdrage shitfit when 2K said, "you know what? Fuck it. Let's just leave these assholes to whine and complain on their little forums and go make money with the gamers who care about things like the actual game rather than DLC, piracy, whether mouselook is 1:1, and dozens of other real or made-up issues we don't have to deal with on the more profitable (for most of their games) platforms."

PC gamers are the most finicky, vocal (loudmouthed), opinionated, and unrealistic customers in this industry. And when they don't get what they perceive to be their way? A big chunk of them just pirate games to "get back" at the publishers that they see as directly insulting them. As a business, it's silly for most companies to try and sell things to people like this.

The more you post the more your losin me.
You seem to be the very type of PC gamer that you despise.
Sure PC gamers(all gamers)are finicky, vocal and opinionated, that's just our culture on planet earth in 2010.

But shouldnt people be upset when they lay down $50-60 dollars then bring home their game just to have the mouse controls not work correctly?
The FoV not set to the right parameters? That alone can make some folks sick. The same widescreen bug the first had?

Solid gameplay is pretty high up on that priority list, lets not even speak of people's game saves being wiped and the game crashing which results in a complete reinstall, yes this has personally happened to me with Bioshock 2 three times, i now believe it's a GFWL issue but not %100 certain.

Let's take the car industry for instance, you don't think there are complete asshats who go buy new cars then take them back a week later demanding their money back cause the seats aren't the right color?
You have this in any industry, especially retail.

66. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 02:35 bigspender

this had got to be most over hyped game......

system shock 2 ftw!

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

65. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 01:19 Sepharo

Shooters fanboy wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 22:13:
Basically what I'm trying to say is as a PC Gamer I'm unhappy with our misfortune since as far back as the Xbox's launch back in 2001 with Halo which was a PC focused game in its beginnings

Wasn't it originally a Mac game? I'm not all that upset about missing out on fighting some little purple aliens.

64. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 00:38 finga

Oh, everyone look at the world's smallest violin I'm playing for 2K right here.

But the reality is, what IS the fucking point of trying to do business with people who are openly hostile to them? Clearly they tried, *again*, to give it a shot, and again the PC gaming community bitched and moaned about DLC, cried about spergtastic issues like FOV/Vsync (as if this is what makes or breaks a game), and then had a nerdrage shitfit when 2K said, "you know what? Fuck it. Let's just leave these assholes to whine and complain on their little forums and go make money with the gamers who care about things like the actual game rather than DLC, piracy, whether mouselook is 1:1, and dozens of other real or made-up issues we don't have to deal with on the more profitable (for most of their games) platforms."

PC gamers are the most finicky, vocal (loudmouthed), opinionated, and unrealistic customers in this industry. And when they don't get what they perceive to be their way? A big chunk of them just pirate games to "get back" at the publishers that they see as directly insulting them. As a business, it's silly for most companies to try and sell things to people like this.

63. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 11, 2010, 00:07 Prez

You know, when this net neutrality thing dies (as it's on life support now, and getting weaker), it will be interesting to see what effect ISP's severely gimping Torrent traffic, as Comcast is doing now, will have on PC game sales. Maybe if and when sales are affected not at all by greatly reduced warez downloads, we can finally stop having the "piracy is killing PC gaming" BS preached to us. They'll just find another excuse to whine about then, but at least the piracy myth can be put to bed once and for all.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 22:13 Shooters fanboy

Indeed Jerykk, that's an important fact. Basically what I'm trying to say is as a PC Gamer I'm unhappy with our misfortune since as far back as the Xbox's launch back in 2001 with Halo which was a PC focused game in its beginnings then becoming a Xbox franchise hence contracting "consolitis" then again with Deus Ex IW and so on. With this gen of consoles especially in the last 2 years we PC gamers are getting too much console to PC ports or multi platform design resulting in watered down PC games, need I mention one of the big ones Modern Warfare 2's non dedicated servers and no mod support was a big blow to PC gaming especially after the huge community behind the first title, that to me is clear evidence of anti-piracy and most recently Ubisoft's Splinter Cell DRM where you couldn't play the game unless you were online at all times while playing the singleplayer(seems they were driven to that extreme because of torrenting). I digress, It seems to me 2K are thinking about risk vs reward with Bio2 PC DLC and have chosen to not bother with us, surely knowing their content would be on every major torrent site within a short time of release. So I say again PC piracy(which is more rampant than console piracy) is one of two major factors that's causing the decline of the quality of PC titles the second being the consoles more affordable pricepoint, accessibility, universal fixed hardware etc.  

61. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 21:27 Jerykk

So obviously the rampant piracy of PC games is the main cause of this, end of story.

I agreed with you up until you said that. The industry's focus on consoles has nothing to do with PC piracy. It has to do with the fact that console gaming has grown exponentially since gaming went mainstream, whereas PC gaming has not. PC gaming hasn't seen the same growth because it simply isn't as accessible or convenient and in the end, that's all that really matters to the majority of consumers.

60. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 20:43 space captain

everyone grasps your point, "shooters fanboy" - its just that nobody agrees with it because its so infantile and ill-informed  
Go forth, and kill!

59. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 20:17 Shooters fanboy

What's this about bullshit and bullshit eating? Rolleyes I'm surprised at the hypocritical comments in this thread, I expected more rational thinkers on the Blue forum. At least Sempai grasps my point.  

58. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 18:57 ASeven

Shooters fanboy sure loves eating the bullshit that comes out of his mouth. Boy, you can go eat your bullshit alone in your corner since no one here is buying it, let alone eating it.

Minecraft's author is making $100K per day. Minecraft is a PC exclusive game. Indies are popping up everywhere and making new, awesome games PC only and none of them are worried about piracy.

The piracy bullshit excuse and the defenders of that excuse is what's killing PC gaming. There has always been piracy in all media, you either accept it and learn how to work with it, like the Minecraft author does and does damn well, or you whine about it, like mainstream devs and you do. We don't need you or the bullshit from mainstream devs.

57. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 17:59 Sempai

Shooters fanboy wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 17:22:
@space captain You can go fuck off with your flippant comment. Anyone that doesn't accept that we PC gamers are no longer a lucrative market and are not treated equally as the console platforms due to PC much larger piracy is in denial. PC gaming as we knew it is pretty much dead now, for example I guarantee that many Deus Ex fans will be disappointed with Human Revolution's Consolitis compromises. Look I'm not being fatalistic here I'm simply stating the fact that the climate has changed for us veteran PC gamers for more or less the worst in my opinion and I for one 'am concerned about the future of our hobby. Will we ever have the likes of SS2 or Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Unreal Tournament/Counter-Strike, Battlefield 1943/2 and mass modding again? I think not and that's what saddens me. MMOs and RTSs are our only torch bearers of good old fashioned, true blue PC gaming in a world dominated by Consoles. Everything else at some level has consolitis now. So obviously the rampant piracy of PC games is the main cause of this, end of story.

I understand what your saying but you cant simply blame this situation on piracy, Bio2 had strong reviews and sold 3 million copies it's first week of sales.

This isn't about piracy, it is about a company blatantly mistreating it's pc customer base cause they want to save money and resources for their upcoming projects.

I'd be fine with no DLC, but they should be held responsible for fixing the issue's their customers have been dealing with for 8 months.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo