Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Outerlight "Critically Endangered"

An Outerlight interview on Big Download talks with Chris Peck, co-founder of Outerlight, indie developer of The Ship and Bloody Good Time, two projects that began as Source-engine modifications before becoming commercial games. The discussion covers the ups and downs they've experienced, the pros and cons of independent self-publishing through Steam, and the current state of the company, which Peck says "has all but been dissolved." Here's his outlook: "The status of Outerlight is 'critically endangered'. Personally, I really hope the company will be revived. I know we made some mistakes, but I also know we got a lot right, we had a very happy, and very productive team, and we produced some innovative ideas, and I know I had a lot more good ideas, which I hope will see the light of day. I'd also say that while games development is challenging, it's also very rewarding. So, if there are any savvy investors out there, please get in touch!"

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Outerlight Oct 10, 2010, 11:06 Kajetan

0001 wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 10:45:
Sucks for him, I guess. But why anyone would try to get into games these days is beyond me. A lot of competition, piracy, insane work hours...
Since every (!) game is pirated according to its level of popularity, this has nothing to do with the success or failure of a game. If your game is popular, you will probably make a living out of it. If not, if your game is not popular, you will sell less AND your game will be pirated way less than popular titles.

Software Piracy is no threat to the revenue. Badly chosen release dates or insufficient/bad marketing are hurting sales, not piracy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Outerlight "Critically Endangered" Oct 10, 2010, 10:45 0001

Sucks for him, I guess. But why anyone would try to get into games these days is beyond me. A lot of competition, piracy, insane work hours...  

5. Re: Outerlight Oct 10, 2010, 01:01 Prez

Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 00:06:
(which doesn't stop the Fed from blowing trillions of taxpayer dollars on rescuing grossly mismanaged and corrupt corporations, but I digress...)

So you're one of the people that thinks it was free money to companies that should have failed?

Well, you're wrong on both parts there, and I'll just assume you haven't actually read anything on it, just heard salient key points out of context.

I'm wrong on nothing; and you assume too much. As usual. No corporation is too big to fail. Arbitrarily bolstering them with money that is not theirs doesn't fix the root problem, nor does the Fed seizing majority control of them through misuse of our money.

EDIT: And before you go throwing the tired "Foxnews watching Ditto-head" crap at me, understand that I blame 'Dubya' the most, since it was his administration that opened the floodgates on this nonsense, to the tune of $700 Billion. It worked so well that another 1.7 Trillion or so in bailouts were "needed". Yee-haw.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2010, 01:24.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Outerlight Oct 10, 2010, 00:06 Beamer

(which doesn't stop the Fed from blowing trillions of taxpayer dollars on rescuing grossly mismanaged and corrupt corporations, but I digress...)

So you're one of the people that thinks it was free money to companies that should have failed?

Well, you're wrong on both parts there, and I'll just assume you haven't actually read anything on it, just heard salient key points out of context.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Outerlight Oct 9, 2010, 21:21 Shadowcat

Never heard of "Bloody Good Time"; any good?
I don't know, but FWIW:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/bloody-good-time/

2. Re: Outerlight Oct 9, 2010, 20:02 elefunk

The Ship is fantastic, and of course it's still for sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2400/

But $20 is quite steep for a multiplayer game that probably doesn't have an audience anymore. Too bad.

Bloody Good Time hasn't been released yet.

1. Re: Outerlight "Critically Endangered" Oct 9, 2010, 17:02 Prez

Not every company survives, or even deserves to survive (which doesn't stop the Fed from blowing trillions of taxpayer dollars on rescuing grossly mismanaged and corrupt corporations, but I digress...), but I hope these guys do. Is "The Ship" still for sale? We all ought to buy it to help them out. Never heard of "Bloody Good Time"; any good?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo