Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders

VG247 spoke with Randy Pitchford at a press event in London and learned from the Gearbox boss that they are working on how to deal with preorders of Duke Nukem Forever that date back oh so many years. "There are a lot of people who pre-ordered the game," he says. "We’ve been starting to talk with retailers because we didn’t take them directly, and 3D Realms didn’t take them, it was all retailers going 'I'm going to take this guy’s money.' We’ve started to engage them, saying 'Hey, you’ve got customers who you made a promise to, and any bad feeling they have will reflect on us, so can we work together to do something for those people?' I don’t know what we can do yet, but something should be done for the people who pre-ordered."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 10, 2010, 08:43 Dev

Sledge1 wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 23:32:
hrmm i DID have a pre order years ago.. but the receipt has long gone... $10 dissapeared
They can usually look that stuff up, especially if you had your name on it and the store is still there.

PropheT wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 00:01:
JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 23:37:
I can't remember a single game that was ever out of stock that I stopped to purchase.

When was the last time you went there? Because I can't remember the last time I went to Gamestop on release day and was actually able to get a game I hadn't preordered.

Not that you can't just walk across the street and buy it at Best Buy anyway, but Gamestop never seems to order more than preorder allotments.

I think the difference would be the PC games vs console games. Also the collectors editions are often more limited.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 10, 2010, 05:02 Tanto Edge

When you pre-order a game, typically the pre-order dough is trapped. That's that, you don't refund pre-order money.
I don't pre-order titles, ever.
If the store you pre-ordered from runs out, you're forced to wait for the next shipment, no refund, and that means if the competitor has a copy available, you're shit outta luck.

If Randy can get retailers to honour old pre-orders, I don't know what to say. Frankly that's bigger than anything I've ever seen from any other software business guy, and Randy has shown himself shrewed therein thus far.

Hats off to Pitchford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

20. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 10, 2010, 00:56 xXBatmanXx

soooo.....why aren't they just getting refunds from the retailer? I guess I don't see the problem.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 22:05 Sledge1

I live in Adelaide Australia, i had to go to 4 stores before i found one with Starcraft 2 in stock on release day.
It depends on the game, as to how many ppl want it vs how many GET it..

18. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 12:49 Sepharo

sauron wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 10:03:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 01:54:
I worked at GameStop for about 3 years and can confirm that most new games, especially on release, are only stocked about 1 or 3 copies more than are pre-ordered. And that's for consoles, for PC it was you must pre-order.

And that was over 5 years ago, I'm sure it has only gotten worse.

There's really no reason to preorder - it's just a marketing tactic designed by Gamestop to produce an illusion of scarcity.

Don't get me wrong, I never pre-order (or shop brick-and-mortar for that matter) I was just lending some observations. And they don't do it for an illusion of scarcity or anything like that, they do it to to increase their profit margin. They stock the bare minimum of new games because they make nearly nothing for selling new and they maximize their used stock, which (a lot of people don't realize) they actually ship boxes of used games from store to store to create a balanced variety.

17. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 9, 2010, 12:47 Cartman

Anybody stupid enough to pre-order this game should be forced to wear a helmet 24/7.  

16. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 11:54 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 05:51:
I doubt that "any bad feeling" will reflect on Gearbox. Anyone who cared enough about Duke Nukem to pre-order DNF would know that the blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of that douche-loafer Broussard, wouldn't they?

I would hope so.

Also, I think most stores would refund a pre-order if the game didn't release. Of course if you were stupid enough to hang on to a pre-order for all this time, and the store (or chain) went out of business... you pretty much threw away your cash, and Gearbox shouldn't really care... but apparently they do, which is kind of cool, but at the same time, definitely a PR tactic.

15. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 Beamer

Yeah, I can't fathom preordering, either.

The last time I needed a game that badly I was probably in elementary school waiting for Super Mario Brothers 3. Which was truly scarce - we went to about 8 stores looking for it.

Now you can find any game on release day. And I can't think of any games I can't just wait for another shipment to play.

More importantly, though, I can't fathom a reason to shop at GameStop.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 10:03 sauron

Sepharo wrote on Oct 9, 2010, 01:54:
I worked at GameStop for about 3 years and can confirm that most new games, especially on release, are only stocked about 1 or 3 copies more than are pre-ordered. And that's for consoles, for PC it was you must pre-order.

There's really no reason to preorder - it's just a marketing tactic designed by Gamestop to produce an illusion of scarcity.

If Gamestop doesn't have the game on release day, you can just head over to Best Buy or Target and usually they'll have a whole rack of them.

Actually, the last game I bought on release was Dragon Quest IX. I walked into Toys R Us and they not only had an entire rack of the game for $35 but were also giving away a $15 gift card with every copy. Win!

Kittens!

13. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 08:18 Nameless Again

I learned my lesson on pre-ordering back with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64. I pre-ordered it from Software, Etc. so I would be "guaranteed" a copy on release day. Guess what? Release day comes and the shipment got sent to Nebraska instead of Nevada and I got to wait an entire week while others got to play it right away. FUCK pre-ordering.  

12. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 05:51 Prez

I doubt that "any bad feeling" will reflect on Gearbox. Anyone who cared enough about Duke Nukem to pre-order DNF would know that the blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of that douche-loafer Broussard, wouldn't they?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 01:54 Sepharo

10. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 01:36 Ray Marden

It depends on the title, but Lamestop likes to play games with the inventory more than nearly any other big games retailer. I particularly love when, prior ot the shipment even coming in on a given day, they would confirm that no non-preorder copies would be available.

Then again, we're talking about a company that is being structured around turning over used games...
Steam + Amazon Prime = Win.
Having long ago grown tired of the company's games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 00:31 .Drifter

I went there, what, 2 weeks ago, and my preorder was taken off a shelf behind the counter with 20 other copies behind and around it.
These were "for anyone" copies, not preorders btw.

8. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 00:01 PropheT

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 23:37:
I can't remember a single game that was ever out of stock that I stopped to purchase.

When was the last time you went there? Because I can't remember the last time I went to Gamestop on release day and was actually able to get a game I hadn't preordered.

Not that you can't just walk across the street and buy it at Best Buy anyway, but Gamestop never seems to order more than preorder allotments.

7. Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 8, 2010, 23:37 JohnBirshire

I never understood the concept of pre-ordering myself anyways. The kid at Gamestop, who probably has a quota, will say "Reserve your copy so it's here!"...uhh, what? There is no reason to reserve a copy, walk into any Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Meijer's, Target, Best Buy, etc and they'll have a full shelf of them on release day. I can't remember a single game that was ever out of stock that I stopped to purchase.

I think I preordered Starcraft 2 for the beta key, but it takes a major incentive to even bother.

6. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 8, 2010, 23:32 Sledge1

hrmm i DID have a pre order years ago.. but the receipt has long gone... $10 dissapeared

5. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 8, 2010, 23:06 [VG]Reagle

Well if you bought a cat from a petstore on lay away. Then the store went bankrupt you don't own said cat.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

4. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 8, 2010, 22:52 Ruffiana

Hey Randy, how about giving those who pre-ordered from places that can't or won't still honor those arrangements some kind of game schwag or discount. Pre-orderd from Babbages, here's a $5 coupon for DNF. Hell, throw a Borderlands DLC to them. Make them feel good and get them to pick up a copy of that game to use it.

People pirate this shit all the time. Data is free, but it has value. It would cost you nothing to give someone a code for DLC, or access to some of that exclusive content you get for buying a game from Gamestop or Target I'm sure you're already planning to do. If that translates into a happy customer who's giving you money for your game...how is that not a win-win?

3. Re: Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders Oct 8, 2010, 22:42 Pundit Guy

Babbage's.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo