Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Zenimax Media Raises Cash

Bethesda Softworks and id Software parent company Zenimax Media has scored a $150 million USD investment from private equity fund Providence Equity, reports the Los Angeles Times. They don't have specifics about what the cash is for other than it will help them expand production and publishing capabilities, and may fund further acquisitions.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 8, 2010, 04:05 s3ntient

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 03:31:
What do Bethesda and Zenimax have to do with Wolfenstein? Activision was the publisher and Raven was the developer for that.

Wolfenstein is id Software IP.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2010, 08:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 8, 2010, 03:46 BobBob

I hope Carmack continues to GPL former engines. Would love to see Doom 3 GPL. We love you Carmack. Don't let us down, man!  

14. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 8, 2010, 03:31 Jerykk

What do Bethesda and Zenimax have to do with Wolfenstein? Activision was the publisher and Raven was the developer for that.  

13. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 22:50 Sphinx

How about a proper Wolfenstein multiplayer. A guy can dream.  
-Sphinx

12. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 15:07 Dev

Techie714 wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:19:
Fallout 4......J/K (I'm getting as giddy as school girl waiting for FO:NV)

@Creston
PC Gamer was speculating that Bethesda might be waiting for the next generation of Consoles before venturing into the next Elder Scrolls. Just pure speculation though, based on all the domains they purchased.

I doubt it, they are still going with dx9 on the upcoming fallout new vegas. Its not like they are waiting for higher graphics, they are ignoring the graphical advancements for the last few years. Same engine that oblivion used almost 5 years ago.

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:43:
I'm pretty certain but, unfortunately, $150mil sounds about right for MMO-funding.

I can't wait. Another fantasy online world. I'm sure this one will be different though! Right?

... right?

Yeah it does sound about right. Remember APB having $100 million for its MMO? Only I doubt bethesda's financial plan is to spend to $0 on release, and they have additional financial resources too.
It can't be for a fallout MMO, unless they finish sueing interplay, which could take years, so its gotta be elder scrolls MMO.

11. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 13:55 sauron

Oh wow, thanks for the info! I still have the game installed.

Brb looking for the mod.

[edit - can't locate it - would you happen to have a link? ty]

[edit - ah, MGE! Got it.]

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2010, 14:33.

Kittens!

10. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 13:35 Creston

sauron wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:06:
mag wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:35:
sauron wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:08:
Seriously, I hope it's for the next Elder Scrolls game. Although my system still has trouble running the last one.

The last one wasn't exactly a marvel of modern optimized coding. It's a big fat hog.

Agreed, and Morrowind was also a hog. I remember people saying it rendered everything in your field of view, even if it wasn't visible. If you were looking at a wall, it rendered the wall (which you could see) and everything behind it right into the distance (which you couldn't).

Does anyone know if that was actually true?

Not sure, but the biggest problem with Morrowind was that it used zero percent of your graphics card acceleration. Finally someone released a mod that made proper Direct3D calls, and suddenly you could render the entire world without slowdowns.

Creston

9. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 13:22 BobBob

Given the current state of the U.S. dollar, that $150 million will be worth only $1,500.00 in a few months.  

8. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 13:12 Kxmode

$150 million! Well that's many more Subway sandwiches they can enjoy. Heck they can even splurge and go straight for pastrami... on rye!  

7. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 13:06 sauron

mag wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:35:
Seriously, I hope it's for the next Elder Scrolls game. Although my system still has trouble running the last one.

The last one wasn't exactly a marvel of modern optimized coding. It's a big fat hog.

Agreed, and Morrowind was also a hog. I remember people saying it rendered everything in your field of view, even if it wasn't visible. If you were looking at a wall, it rendered the wall (which you could see) and everything behind it right into the distance (which you couldn't).

Does anyone know if that was actually true?

Kittens!

6. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 12:43 Ludomancer

I'm pretty certain but, unfortunately, $150mil sounds about right for MMO-funding.

I can't wait. Another fantasy online world. I'm sure this one will be different though! Right?

... right?

5. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 12:35 mag

fujiJuice wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:03:
I realize technically that is a lot of money, but from their standpoint it doesn't really seem like it, how much did they pay for id software. I wonder what it is for.

Blackjack and hookers! Barrels of ale! Good wine and fast women! etc etc.

4. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 12:19 Techie714

Fallout 4......J/K (I'm getting as giddy as school girl waiting for FO:NV)

@Creston
PC Gamer was speculating that Bethesda might be waiting for the next generation of Consoles before venturing into the next Elder Scrolls. Just pure speculation though, based on all the domains they purchased.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 12:08 sauron

fujiJuice wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:03:
I realize technically that is a lot of money, but from their standpoint it doesn't really seem like it, how much did they pay for id software. I wonder what it is for.

Blackjack and hookers! Barrels of ale! Good wine and fast women! etc etc.

Kittens!

2. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 11:08 Creston

I hope it's for the next Elder Scrolls game. It's been almost FIVE fucking years since Oblivion came out!

Creston

1. Re: Zenimax Media Raises Cash Oct 7, 2010, 11:03 fujiJuice

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo