Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M

Development of Duke Nukem Forever cost 3D Realms co-founder George Broussard 20 to 30 million dollars of his own money according to Randy Pitchford, reports Computer and Video Games. "George Broussard is not a poor man but I would estimate that he lost 20 to 30 million dollars of his own money on Duke Nukem Forever - I don't care who you are, that's a hell of a lot of money. He was committed to Duke to the point of insanity... and now Duke was dead," the Gearbox boss said at a London press event. "He decided he would rather have it burn that have a bad version of the game come out."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 8, 2010, 08:41 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 03:05:
"...[than] have a bad version of the game come out."

HAHAHAHHAHA!!! omfg. As if this game were ever slated to NOT be a "bad version." We all knew it was gunna suck.

Idiot posting like it's IRC ITT.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 8, 2010, 03:05 ForgedReality

"...[than] have a bad version of the game come out."

HAHAHAHHAHA!!! omfg. As if this game were ever slated to NOT be a "bad version." We all knew it was gunna suck.

48. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 8, 2010, 00:32 Cartman

I can't even imagine the lost revenues this moron ignored so that he could spend all day posting with idiot kids on shugashack.

It's a shame really.

47. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 23:46 Prez

Normally I prefer to take the high road, but in this case I'd rather go low and say that I wish Broussard lost every penny to his name and ended up in jail for bilking his publisher out of millions of dollars while doing nothing.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 23:37 Surf

After 5 years and no DNF I would have seriously canned George and voted him out of the company if that was possible.

Where did he get THAT much money to keep going for so long?

George Madoff

45. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 22:20 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 20:40:
I think he just finally realized that he would never be bigger than Gabe.

He could have been in the running, duke 3d was way before steam. Even if they did an in between release before duke forever (like duke 3.5 or some such) that had a current graphics engine and some of the work they did, they coulda had a hit. But its been FIFTEEN YEARS since 3dr released much with duke.

If they would have kept doing shareware (only now more of casual stuff) instead of stopping all other game developement, they coulda used that revenue to keep going too. I woulda bought another 3dr side scroller for instance, or SHMUPS or commander keen.

But they did almost NOTHING after duke 3d. I don't count all those mini ports and things they stuck the duke name on and crapped out for consoles.

When they saw the iphone and casual flash based markets explode, they shoulda jumped on it. How many man hours would it take to put out a casual game? Certain not much compared to the giant sink that was duke.

44. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 20:40 Sepharo

I think he just finally realized that he would never be bigger than Gabe.  

43. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 20:26 Cutter

Haha sounds like George would be perfect working for the government, blowing tons of cash and getting fuck all done.

As for book series. I gave up on WoT a long time ago. I'll probably get the final book from the library just to see how it all wraps up. But I bet we all alredy have that figured out, don't we? Most everyone dies conquering evil, they win, and than have to start rebuilding once more.

As for Fice and Ice, I still anxiously await the next book. I just wish George would focus on it. That man can't be too much longer for this world.

The dream would be to see a high value series based on Roger Zelazny's Nince Princes of Amber. That's still the best fictional series ever IMO. Rog was such a brilliant writer, he died way too soon. Hell, even a series or films on the Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming would be a lot of fun.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

42. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 19:37 wtf_man

Development of Duke Nukem Forever cost 3D Realms co-founder George Broussard 20 to 30 million dollars of his own money according to Randy Pitchford

I don't care if he lost everything and sold his mother... He still needs to have the shit severely kicked out of him in some dark alley.

I have zero sympathy for that fuck.

41. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 19:19 fujiJuice

Baudkarma wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 18:10:
What I'm wondering about is the rest of the team that was working on DNF over at 3DR. I'm pretty sure they were promised a cut when DNF came out. Did they get screwed when 3DR went under and Gearbox picked the game up out of the ashes?

Maybe that was the plan towards the end when things began to reach an end and George realized just how much he was going to owe these people. Speculating of course, he could be a nice guy incapable of such things.

40. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 18:10 Baudkarma

sauron wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:05:
Does George still have an option on any of the profits once it sees the light of day?

Even if it's a small percentage, the game is going to sell a lot of copies around the world.

I'm going to assume he didn't just turn the assets over to Gearbox because he just wanted to see the game finished.

What I'm wondering about is the rest of the team that was working on DNF over at 3DR. I'm pretty sure they were promised a cut when DNF came out. Did they get screwed when 3DR went under and Gearbox picked the game up out of the ashes?

I am not a man! I am a free number!

39. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 18:03 Overon

DNF is not a pc centered fps, it's a console centered fps. You will be lucky to have decent configuration options in the pc version.  

38. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 17:17 Verno

Dev wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 16:49:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:47:
Yeah, I think it will come down how much Gearbox is willing to throw into advertising as the console market needs big bucks to move units and there's no way DNF will be profitable on PC sales alone.

I disagree, I bet it could be profitable for GEARBOX on pc sales alone. Remember, 3dr driving themselves into bankruptcy in finances doesn't carry over onto gearbox.

Fair enough but I think you vastly overestimate the size of the PC FPS community these days, especially where multiplayer isn't terribly fleshed out.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

37. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:58 derelict koan

I think it will turn a bit of coin, as for George, its a good crisitunity, maybe he could apply for the biggest loser and blast his quads throughout the release.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

36. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:54 Dev

Surf wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 15:57:
But the game looks ok now, just seemed to come out of nowhere!
Thats because from reading the stories, gearbox or its employee(s) illicitly started development BEFORE the bankruptcy. Some former 3dr guy kept a bunch of files and went to work for gearbox and worked on it for a while. He showed the ppl at gearbox the work and convinced them to try and buy the IP. Normally you'd see lawsuits about that kinda thing, but most of the issue was rendered moot from the purchase. My guess is that gearbox had as part of their IP purchase contract indemnity against any lawsuits about that (if they don't they are stupid). IANAL

35. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:53 Veterator

Guy writing the wheel of time series is Brandon Sanderson. He has a 3 book series of books under the name Mistborn...I thought they were an interesting twist on typical fantasy books. Haven't looked into the wheel of time books, after awhile I got tired of trying to read my way through the dull parts...because they started becoming the majority of the books.

Another thing I've noticed in long term series writers recently is that their books are becoming shorter and shorter. Series that used to have 400-500 pages per book early on..and are now on their 15th or so book are now only 150-200 pages. Laurel K Hamilton basically butchered her own Anita Blake series around book 10. I am not sure if it's the authors or the publishers causing this, but I know I'd probably butcher a series too if I was forced to keep writing when I thought it was over 5 books ago. If the story is over in your mind, finish it and don't let them keep dragging it on.

Terry Brooks had a decent idea with the Shannara series books, he'd skip around in time and write instead of trying to keep a linear story each and every book that got out of hand like the Wheel of time.

George RR Martin has his sights on a TV show based on the Fire and Ice books. I was upset with his last published book in the series and I will read the next if it ever comes out probably. Although if it's as sketchy as the last I doubt I'll read any further.

34. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:49 Dev

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:47:
Yeah, I think it will come down how much Gearbox is willing to throw into advertising as the console market needs big bucks to move units and there's no way DNF will be profitable on PC sales alone.

I disagree, I bet it could be profitable for GEARBOX on pc sales alone. Remember, 3dr driving themselves into bankruptcy in finances doesn't carry over onto gearbox.

33. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:39 Creston

DrEvil wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 16:06:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:54:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:46:
AirWreck wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:14:
GRRM fans will know what I'm talking about there

Thanks for reminding me. Winter is coming damn it! Robert Jordan fans really know what that's like.

I gave up on him awhile ago. Even if he finishes the current book he's working on, there is no hope for the rest of the series given his chosen physical condition and age. Look up Steven Erikson sometime, that dude is a machine, writes amazing stuff and has an insane work ethic.

Unless dead people can write, I don't think Robert Jordan is in much danger of ever finishing that series.

Creston

The estate selected a new author to finish the series as Robert Jordan (pen name btw; real name was James Oliver Rigney, Jr.) actually wrote down (and/or dictated) the end of the story to his family before he passed away.

So yes actually, it will be finished, and new books drawing the series to its conclusion have already been published.

None of which disqualified what I said. You forgot to mention that it's still going to take like four (three?) books for everything to be finished up. Because I guess 10,000 pages wasn't enough to tell the story yet. Rolleyes

That series was so fucking ridiculously overblown that Jordan even started just rehashing plot points and villains by book 9. If only for a good editor...

Creston

32. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:06 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:54:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:46:
AirWreck wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:14:
GRRM fans will know what I'm talking about there

Thanks for reminding me. Winter is coming damn it! Robert Jordan fans really know what that's like.

I gave up on him awhile ago. Even if he finishes the current book he's working on, there is no hope for the rest of the series given his chosen physical condition and age. Look up Steven Erikson sometime, that dude is a machine, writes amazing stuff and has an insane work ethic.

Unless dead people can write, I don't think Robert Jordan is in much danger of ever finishing that series.

Creston

The estate selected a new author to finish the series as Robert Jordan (pen name btw; real name was James Oliver Rigney, Jr.) actually wrote down (and/or dictated) the end of the story to his family before he passed away.

So yes actually, it will be finished, and new books drawing the series to its conclusion have already been published.

31. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:00 VultureMAN

I am pretty sure that was money written off as development costs to counter his residuals from ongoing games sales. Every time I heard from someone who was in that crowd, it seemed that is was George's clubhouse of gamers(vast) and groupies(few), just a decade long party that was a write off.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo