Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases

The Team Fortress 2 Blog has an update written in the voice of Whitaker, owner of the gun shop across from the Liberty Mall in Left 4 Dead 2. Whitaker outlines free Team Fortress 2 items to be awarded to anyone who purchases Left 4 Dead 2 by 7:00 pm EDT tomorrow. Word is:

So now you can see I am familiar with the merchandise I speak of. While I do not understand the machinations of this skillet and hat scheme, I do know that if you purchase the said game Left 4 Dead 2, it will reward you with a free hat from my friend Ellis and a handy skillet to fry yours or more importantly your enemy's bacon. These items all manifest themselves in some infernal game called TeamFortress2 which I have no understandin' of but my good friends what I do know is these items know no class, color, weight or gender. They work for all peoples.

Now if I could get a hat and a skillet for $6.80 — I would own a new hat and skillet. At that price, I implore of you, if you see a hatless or skilletless friend, buy them one.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 17:57 Sepharo

I've now been playing TF2 for the past few days. I hadn't played TF2 since the Sniper/Spy update and even then only for a few days, my real heyday was launch. I think that you guys are really overstating how much game has changed, or how it's not easy to jump into. It is still the same core game with the same core classes. There's tons of fun extras and replacement weapons now but they're hardly the game changers that these threads tend to make them out to be.

I have a few hats given out for free and about half of the unlockable weapons (which I still get through achievements just like before). The game is tons of fun and I'm really loving the new payload maps that I hadn't played before. Every now and then there's a player using an item that I haven't seen before that causes frustration like *MISS* on scout and the Eyelander rush on demo but it only takes me two times to understand what's going on with those. Really love the soldier's bugle buff. Haha, I start this post talking about how little has changed and then go on about all these changes, but honestly they're minor in terms of the overall gameplay.

The one thing that I really am disappointed about is the decision to allow items to be purchased which effect game statistics (though with heavy drawbacks). I wish they would have just stuck to aesthetic purchasable items.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 14:09 AngelicPenguin

Same here on the bots. I just found a good server that had no mods on it and regularly go there. It's always full (which is a good thing.)

About the hats and new weapons making TF2 an item collecting game, I couldn't think it's further from the truth and I play the game religiously.

The hats are an awesome way to identify at a glance who is who. That heavy with the Russian Hat? That's so and so, etc. The new weapons I don't see as being anything strange at all. In other FPS, you get to pick from a handful of weapons typically, so why should TF2 be any different?

I find the game very well balanced and incredibly fun. Just thought I'd throw that out there to balance the other comments

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 14:03 bhcompy

Brubold wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:43:
I like TF2 but I never play a Medic which was my favorite class in TFC. I loved to conc jump to the enemy snipers and infect them all.

With TF2 it's almost exclusively Spy for me now.

Enjoy both games but TF2 is much better balanced. The only reason I don't play it more often is that it's a chore to get on and find a server that actually has players when it says it has players. Also the servers half full of bots are annoying.

I get that a lot with DOD:S. TF2 I just added about 5 good servers to my faves and it's cycle between them. No bots, good players, good times

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 13:43 Brubold

I like TF2 but I never play a Medic which was my favorite class in TFC. I loved to conc jump to the enemy snipers and infect them all.

With TF2 it's almost exclusively Spy for me now.

Enjoy both games but TF2 is much better balanced. The only reason I don't play it more often is that it's a chore to get on and find a server that actually has players when it says it has players. Also the servers half full of bots are annoying.

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 12:33 bhcompy

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 05:00:
Grenade spam in TF was ridiculous. TF2 is such a better game. The classes in TF2 actually have some useful distinctions and on most maps the good players can do better than just "spray and pray".

The old TF was just a meat grinder. It was a fun meat grinder, but I'm glad the gameplay evolved.

Grenades were generally ineffectual. They were mostly annoyances, which is what they were supposed to be. Yes, you could die to MIRV and regular nade spam, but they were easy enough to avoid. Conc, spy gas, caltrops, napalm, emp, and nail nades all were useful and fun and none of them were major gamechangers. Detpacks were obvious and medic disease took off 1hp at a time. And there were no crits or ubers.

And don't talk about useful distinctions, there wasn't one class in TF that wasn't usefully distinguished. Spray and pray wasn't part of the game(other than demoman), which it is now with all of the crits, minicrits, headshots, etc. It took a lot of balls to go on offense as an engie in TF, but your EMP made it worth it. Now, you carry your gun with you and setup shop wherever you want in 10 seconds. Kind of obnoxious.

And for the record, while Hunted was fun, Border1 is the best non-standard TF map/mod of all time.

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 10:17 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 09:04:
Is such a thing as "over-supporting" your game? Valve is certainly pushing it. As Verno said, the game has evolved in very strange ways, and is nearly unrecognizable from the game I used to be addicted to. Not sure I'd ever go back to it now.

Yeah that's the thing. I almost feel like there is a learning curve to what used to be an accessible FPS. I loved TF2 for it's quite casual nature with deceptively deep gameplay. Maybe it's just the view from the surface seems complex but I almost feel like I'd have to play it like an MMO to get back into it and that's not really desirable. Between the unlocks, crafting and everything else, they don't make it easy for people to come back to the game.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 10:08 theyarecomingforyou

Even though I got TF2 with my purchase of the Orange Box, I never got into it. I was a die hard TFC player, logging in hours and hours on regular servers, as well as Got Hunted?, so when I found out they eliminated grenades, as well as the civilian class and the Hunted mod, I got disenfranchised. I miss the days of Got Hunted terribly. It was such a blast to get fatty from one end of the map to the other. Still got my old spray on my hard drive too: "Snipers have gay sex in Respawn."
Personally I found it a huge improvement over the original and I sank a ridiculous amount of time into TFC. But I haven't played it for a while - mainly due to time constraints - and when I launched into this week for the first time is countless months I didn't recognise the game. Different menu system, gameplay, etc. It might take me a while to get into it again.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 09:04 Prez

Is such a thing as "over-supporting" your game? Valve is certainly pushing it. As Verno said, the game has evolved in very strange ways, and is nearly unrecognizable from the game I used to be addicted to. Not sure I'd ever go back to it now.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 08:40 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 05:00:
Grenade spam in TF was ridiculous. TF2 is such a better game. The classes in TF2 actually have some useful distinctions and on most maps the good players can do better than just "spray and pray".

The old TF was just a meat grinder. It was a fun meat grinder, but I'm glad the gameplay evolved.

It's kind of hard to see the gameplay evolution in TF2 behind all of the hats, clownshoes, voice over jokes and item crafting nonsense. I took a break from TF2 to play other games for awhile and when I came back it was almost unrecognizable.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 05:00 Silicon Avatar

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 04:17 Niezly Czad

Look! More hats! And they're free! You just need to buy a game to get them! Guess they're not free...  

5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 04:03 Nameless Again

Even though I got TF2 with my purchase of the Orange Box, I never got into it. I was a die hard TFC player, logging in hours and hours on regular servers, as well as Got Hunted?, so when I found out they eliminated grenades, as well as the civilian class and the Hunted mod, I got disenfranchised. I miss the days of Got Hunted terribly. It was such a blast to get fatty from one end of the map to the other. Still got my old spray on my hard drive too: "Snipers have gay sex in Respawn."

From what I've read, it looks like TF2 has become a parody of itself with all the hats, bling, etc. And this only looks to be compounded with this new Mann Co update/store/whatever thing they've introduced.

I did see a mod on a YouTube clip that looked like it would be pretty entertaining where one team spawns as a bunch of inanimate objects (tires, corrugated panels, etc) and goes out and hides in the map, while the other team hunts them down. Just never investigated it. Oh well, c'est la vie.

4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 00:19 Dr. D. Schreber

We will, the update popup for this on Steam says everyone who already owns L4D2 will get them as well.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 6, 2010, 23:46 xXBatmanXx

So shouldn't we all be given the hat and skillet...you know...since we already own the game!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 6, 2010, 23:02 MattB

I'm not gonna parrot the steam forums, but I was let down by the sacrifice DLC. I loved how they built up to it with the comic(pure greatness). Then I saw how big the download was(3.4 gigs) and thought wow this it gonna be huge. Turns out is a relatively short campaign that barely syncs with the comic and an old campaign. I guess I just expect more from valve.
--valve;

1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 6, 2010, 21:07 Dev

Last I checked, valve didn't even give me the TF2 items from my worms pre-order like they promised. I have to contact support about that sometime.

And the sacrifice DLC... argh.

Lame valve lame. After I played sacrifice for 5 or 10 mins through the first level on l4d2, It feels like you only half worked on it. I don't hear anything from the survivors like francis saying "wtf is that charging vampire thing". The trailer implied the l4d2 specials were new to them, but nothing in the voices.

And louis (and others?) don't say anything when you look at pipes or pills. Louis is DEFINED by saying "ppeeelllzz here!". And you left that vocalization out? You didn't even bother to port the already recorded audio files from l4d1??

Not to mention how the game crashes to desktop with a totally unrelated error message if you OMG dare to have something like no mercy campaign vpk installed in addons folder. WTF does that have to do with playing sacrifice campaign? Did you guys even bother to test a non 100% vanillia install? I know that you aren't responsible for 3rd party campaigns, but its NOT hard to make an error message that says "error, incompatible addons detected please disable them from extras menu". Instead you have a random valve employee in a non sticky thread on the steam forums advising to delete anything in the addons folder which you don't bother to say where in the maze of steam folders it is.

While completing my first playthrough I noticed when a jockey grabbed me, Bill said "a hunters got francis". Thanks again valve for not bothering to even tune the audio. Without recording any new audio at all you could have restricted what he says to things like "help francis" rather than the one that says "hunter".

Edit:
My 3rd no mercy campaign. Lots more evidence of how valve didn't bother much testing.
The door on the level with the lift? Remember how valve had to patch it in L4D1 to stop ppl from breaking it down? They didn't bother to carry that over to L4D2, a few hits with a melee weapon and bang its gone.
The elevator? Remember the 2 or 3 patches to fix ppl falling through it by jumping or nading or whatever in L4D1? Still not fixed in L4D2 one of my team fell through.
Finale for no mercy. I appreciate you guys putting the crates under the ramp to block that off, but railing all the way around on the roof ladder? Why? For chargers? Why didn't you leave that one corner empty so the smoker could still smoke one off at satellite?

And its hecka annoying to hear on scavenge the team continually saying "got it" especially when you juggle cans.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2010, 08:02.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo