Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com

GOG.com announces Icewind Dale Complete is the latest addition to their online marketplace for DRM-free good old games, updated to run on modern PCs. In addition to the Forgotten Realms role-playing game from Black Isle Studios originally released in 2000, the complete edition also includes both the Heart of Winter and Trials of The Luremaster expansions, all for $9.99 USD. Thanks nin via Shacknews.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. removed Oct 8, 2010, 06:21 a2zsource

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 8, 2010, 10:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 7, 2010, 21:49 Nucas

Hyatus wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 16:45:
Icewind Dale was alright, but Baldur's Gate was 10x better. Icewind Dale was more combat-oriented and had less story elements. At least the combat was hella-fun.
what i liked about icewind dale was how it did in fact have a variety of subplots all tied together by an overarching plot, but that it wasn't the focus of the game. that is, if you weren't paying attention, you could miss it. all the areas were very well fleshed out and intelligently tied together if you were interested enough in the story to look around.
(the elven archmage's daughter goes to dorn's deep to help the dwarves despite the sudden break in their relations despite being mutually beseiged by an orc horde, they build a hasty tomb honoring her.. and later you meet the dark elf responsible for selling dwarven weapons to the horde causing the schism between the two groups if you're attentive and ask intelligent questions.. and all of it engineered by the demon in the shadows pulling the strings, whose archnemesis you dispatch earlier in the game, and..)

that said, icewind dale was definitely about the combat. if you enjoy infinity engine combat, icewind dale is a must have, but don't say it doesn't have a story because you missed it. icewind dale was one of avellone's projects.

24. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 7, 2010, 15:03 JoeNapalm

Armengar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 03:45:
IWD was a bit weak IMHO but then again at the time I was thirsting for more after PST and BG

Plus I remember salivating at a proper DND game to rival EotB but looking at it now the DND2 ruleset is fecking nasty, how on earth did I memorise all that crap? (although I still remember leveling a paladin to level 9 on EotB to be sorely disappointed that they hadnt programmed in the spells )

I think D&D follows an inverse of the Star Trek curse...in this case, only odd-numbered editions are any good.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 7, 2010, 03:45 Armengar

IWD was a bit weak IMHO but then again at the time I was thirsting for more after PST and BG

Plus I remember salivating at a proper DND game to rival EotB but looking at it now the DND2 ruleset is fecking nasty, how on earth did I memorise all that crap? (although I still remember leveling a paladin to level 9 on EotB to be sorely disappointed that they hadnt programmed in the spells )

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

22. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 7, 2010, 01:05 Fion

I own BG1 + Expac and PS:T but I haven't played Icewind Dale in so many years and I've never played any of the xpacks. Totally getting this!

I hope we see ICW 2 and BG2 + xpacks soon.

21. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 23:18 Jerykk

I bought and played balder's gate a bit around when it first came out, what I remember about it is when I loaded the game and it had 3 times the skeletons around me than before I loaded.

I hated that so much. You could clear out an area, save and when you come back and load that save, all of a sudden 50 monsters are surrounding you. So lame.

20. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 20:30 Dev

Hyatus wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 16:45:
Icewind Dale was alright, but Baldur's Gate was 10x better. Icewind Dale was more combat-oriented and had less story elements. At least the combat was hella-fun.
Hmm, I might like combat oriented
I bought and played balder's gate a bit around when it first came out, what I remember about it is when I loaded the game and it had 3 times the skeletons around me than before I loaded. It has a save/load punish system as I recall. Maybe I should dig up the 7 cds of that game and try it again.

19. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 19:10 eRe4s3r

Only to then, just 3 hours later, post here again?  

18. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 19:08 nin

It's almost as memorable as that time Derek Smart told a forum full of people he had an authentic PhD.

Or that time he claimed he'd never post here again?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 18:19 eRe4s3r

;p Who cares about what was yesterday, today is today and we need new material to be aggravated about.

Bought it, playing it IWD 1 with mods and expansions is a new experience - and theres proper Story and banter too if you install the NPC mod.

16. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 18:14 Kxmode

Remember when GOG suddenly shut down their service, and it caused a huge tidal wave of negative feedback? Those were the days... It's almost as memorable as that time Derek Smart told a forum full of people he had an authentic PhD.  

15. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 16:45 Hyatus

14. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 16:00 Dev

I know the resolution is smaller, but I like the look of the pics on the website, cool looking dungeons and locations. I'm not in a hurry to give gog more business though.  

13. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:55 eRe4s3r

Theres even *been* a widescreen mod, for several years now  

12. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:54 eRe4s3r

But in exchange Icewind Dale had some very Interesting side Quests

Check out gog's forums for the game to find mods as theres also a mod that adds party banter and a unique party.

11. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:31 LittleMe

Riker wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 15:19:
My original copy of IWD2 works fine, but if they could widescreen support... I'll totally buy.

[Edit] There's a widescreen mod? Cool!

Yes there's a widescreen mod!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

10. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:19 Riker

How is it complete without Icewind Dale II? One of the best games I've ever played. The music in both games was amazing, but I hated D&D 2nd edition rules with a passion, so didn't get all that far through the first game.

My original copy of IWD2 works fine, but if they could widescreen support... I'll totally buy.

[Edit] There's a widescreen mod? Cool!

9. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:15 Muscular Beaver

Awesome?
BG 1 & 2 and IWD 1 & 2 had epic music!
I still have quite a few tracks of those, which still give me goosebumps. Some combat music tracks were simply stunning.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

8. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 15:03 JohnBirshire

I felt like the Baldur's Gate games were Story>Combat, while Icewind Dale was Combat>Story.  

7. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 6, 2010, 14:42 nin

This game is worth it just for narration alone.

The music was awesome too.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo