Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, the cold war between MrsBlue and myself came to a rapid conclusion this year. We have an annual standoff over who will be first to turn on the heat when autumn comes. The stakes were a bit higher this year than usual, since we got our gas meter fixed recently, and are apparently still within the period where they are monitoring our gas usage to correct our back billing. Bill adjustments and bragging rights be damned, once the thermostat showed 63 degrees, I caved and fired up the furnace. I may have lost the war, but I won the battle, or something like that, as at least I'm not freezing.

Heated Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Against the Evil.
Dead Town.
Gibbets 2 Level Pack.
Story: Woman Mistakes Superglue for Eyedrops. Thanks Neatorama. Says it's the bottle's fault.
Science: Increasing the body's (but not brain's) cannabinoids dulls pain.
White House set to nail up solar panels.
Scientists' Graphene Work Awarded Physics Nobel.
ATM FAIL.
Pizza Box WIN.
Media: Undercover Videogame Boss.
Nicolas Cage's Agent.
Hollerado "Americanarama".
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2010, 11:59 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 07:15:
Armengar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 03:50:

Car wise, bought a brand new ford mondeo last year. The climate control seems to work just fine (did last winter down to -12). The trick seems to be leaving the right hand vent open at all times then it seems to regulate just fine.

Ahh ok I'll give that a shot. I normally close the right hand vents unless the woman is in the car. Cheers mate.

As for those who freeze/fry in your car, have you ever heard of using the temp control? Most cars have them ...

Yeah, as I previously mentioned, it doesn't seem to actually work in most cars I've driven.

I use full on heat with a cracked window, sometimes 2. Seems to work better. I know you need that "negative pressure" for the system to work - but shit seems to work better this way.

Get upset in YOUR car? Try sitting in a squad for 12 hours when it is -30F!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2010, 07:15 Verno

Armengar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 03:50:

Car wise, bought a brand new ford mondeo last year. The climate control seems to work just fine (did last winter down to -12). The trick seems to be leaving the right hand vent open at all times then it seems to regulate just fine.

Ahh ok I'll give that a shot. I normally close the right hand vents unless the woman is in the car. Cheers mate.

As for those who freeze/fry in your car, have you ever heard of using the temp control? Most cars have them ...

Yeah, as I previously mentioned, it doesn't seem to actually work in most cars I've driven.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2010, 07:15 Mr. Tact

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 23:41:
My house is 110 years old....had to do a lot of things. Most recently had spray foam insulation installed in the crawl space under 1 bedroom and the living room. I can already tell a huge difference. Installed all new windows when we moved in - but the wind still comes right through the walls.....

Call Mike Holmes!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2010, 03:50 Armengar

I live in a stone house, no cavity walls. But the plus side is that the heating system is also my cooker so you can leave it idling in the summer and just turn it up in the winter. Runs on oil which is fairly cheap. Takes a few days to heat up on full but then stays warm on low. Same in summer, it can take a few days of hot weather to make a difference but then it becomes quite hot.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 23:41 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 19:21:
How old is your home?

Very... about 80 years. And we do have old windows.

We also have an especially cool house, so we don't need AC except in my attic office all summer. The trade off is it is also especially cool in the winter.

My house is 110 years old....had to do a lot of things. Most recently had spray foam insulation installed in the crawl space under 1 bedroom and the living room. I can already tell a huge difference. Installed all new windows when we moved in - but the wind still comes right through the walls.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 19:21  Blue 

How old is your home?

Very... about 80 years. And we do have old windows.

We also have an especially cool house, so we don't need AC except in my attic office all summer. The trade off is it is also especially cool in the winter.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 19:19 Jeraxle

Blue,

How old is your home? I wonder because I live much further north than you do and haven't touched the thermostat yet. My house has never fallen below 74 degrees so far. Have you updated your windows and made sure that your insulation in the walls is still good?

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 17:55 xXBatmanXx

WTF!?

I go on a hike and Moss signs with the Vikings?

What warp black hole shit did I walk through at the Wildlife Refuge!?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 17:26 space captain

just increase the body's sat-cit-anandamides and you wont give a shit about temperature

or anything else, for that matter

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 16:28 banddirector

Haven't had to turn on the heat yet, but I think it's coming this weekend. So far the re-insulation of the house a couple of years ago paid off big. House stays fairly warm until it gets close to freezing at night.

So far the thermo is still in the AC mode. Next it goes full auto(!) when it's warm in the day and cold at night. Heat only doesn't take effect until later next month.

As for those who freeze/fry in your car, have you ever heard of using the temp control? Most cars have them ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 14:07 Verno

kanniballl wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:25:
older cars

I don't know, we've got a 2008 Mustang and a 2010 Fusion in our family and still have the same issues. I guess you could infer it's just Ford but I owned a Lexus previous to that and had similar problems. I think it's just that car climate control sucks because it's pretty damned hard to get a comfortable temp when inches away it's some crazily disparate temperature.

house heating stuff from thread

Our house is geothermal and we love it because it's always just the right temperature regardless of the season. More people should look into it.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 13:54 MashHawkeye

Our house's minimum temperature is set for 55 degrees. That is when the wood pellet stove kicks in. I don't use oil except for in extreme circumstances, only cord wood and pellets. Usually when I get home from work I'll start building a fire within 10 minutes so that when dinner comes around it's a cozy 67. By the time my boy hits the sack it's probably closer to 73.

-Hawkeye
4077th M*A*S*H - Best Care Anywhere

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 13:25 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:07:
kanniballl wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 12:10:
In the car
That's a different story. When driving I like it to be a certain temperature.

The car is the worst for temperature. I've never owned a car that had an adequate climate control. It's either too hot, too cold or moving rapidly from one to the other. In winter I'm constantly playing with the settings as it gets too hot after a few minutes in the car but left off it becomes freezing in no time.

My old cars were like that.

My 2006 Cadillac works just right. I select the temperature I want and it works. I tend to set it to around 69/70 degrees F.

In the winter, that's more than warm enough to drive without a jacket.

In the summer, it's good enough for even the hot and humid days.

And on the "OMG ITS SO COLD!" mornings I have the seat heater. It tends to get TOO hot if I leave it on too long, but by the time that happens the climate control is about where I want it so I just turn that off.

Sometimes I'll nudge the climate control a little in either direction depending on what I'm wearing (heavy long sleeve vs short sleeve) but for the most part it's great.

But my older cars, yeh they worked like you described. Ice cold or sun hot... except my very first car which only pumped AC out the central vents and heat everywhere else (whether I wanted cold or hot).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 13:23 Pigeon

Hopefully I won't have to resort to turning on the heat till late november. Its just gotten cool enough that I can open windows and enjoy the outside, instead of hiding from the oppressive blazing sun.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 13:07 Verno

kanniballl wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 12:10:
In the car

The car is the worst for temperature. I've never owned a car that had an adequate climate control. It's either too hot, too cold or moving rapidly from one to the other. In winter I'm constantly playing with the settings as it gets too hot after a few minutes in the car but left off it becomes freezing in no time. I hate driving in the winter time for this reason. AC is the same story unless its just a blistering hot day. You put it on and it gets too cold so you turn it off then its too hot.

That's gotta be the sole advantage fat people have, at least they're always too warm so it's easy to find one setting in the damned car and leave it there.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:58 kibbled

You could always wear a Snuggy.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:57 Jim

Heat? The only reason my windows have been closed this week is the rain. Although it hasn't gotten too cold around here yet, mid October is usually around the time of first heat.  
Jim

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:27 nin

Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter + Trials of the Luremaster for $10 on GOG...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 kanniballl

At home
Personally I like it chilly in the fall/winter.

If I feel too cold then I can throw on a sweat shirt or use a blanket.

Personally I'd be OK with it being in the 60's in the house, but since I'm not the only one there the heat gets turned on.

In the car

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 xXBatmanXx

It got to high 30s here this week - so we had it on 1 night/day. I came home from work just feeling "chilly" so it was on during the day while I slept. It was only getting to about 40-45 during the day. Needed warmth. Been off now - probably will be until it starts to freeze.

I mean hell, it is in the 70s now!

/edit: Not impressed with Dexter yet this "season". Now with the kids gone maybe it will ramp up a bit...

/edit2: I am liking Always Sunny though - someone mentioned it hadn't gotten going yet - guess I didn't really notice. Still funny as hell and good to see them back.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo