Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2

Though the news is not yet reflected on the Steam Website, Valve announces the Windows editions of The Sacrifice DLC for Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are both now automatically available through Steam, free of charge for owners of those games. This is accompanied by the release of the Mac edition of Left 4 Dead 2, which, like all Steamplay games, is free for those who already own the Windows edition. For those who don't already possess the zombie shooter sequel, Left 4 Dead 2 is currently on sale for 66% off, as is the original Left 4 Dead (though the Mac edition of that is not expected until the end of this month). The Xbox 360 editions of both DLC are expected later today. Here's word on The Sacrifice for those who have only taken a passing interest to this point:

"The Sacrifice" is the prequel to "The Passing," and takes place from the L4D Survivors' perspective as they make their way South. In addition to advancing the story, "The Sacrifice" introduces a new style finale featuring "Sacrificial Gameplay" where players get to decide who will give their life so the others may live.

The Sacrifice DLC for L4D1 is a separate download than The Sacrifice for L4D2.

In The Sacrifice for Left 4 Dead 1 gamers receive the complete Sacrifice campaign with maps playable in Campaign, Versus, and Survival.

In The Sacrifice for Left 4 Dead 2 owners receive "The Sacrifice" campaign playable with the Left 4 Dead Survivors. In addition, those with Left 4 Dead 2 receive L4D's "No Mercy" campaign. Both campaigns are playable in Campaign, Versus, Survival, and Scavenge modes and both will feature the Left 4 Dead 2 Special Infected, items, and weapons. Yes, Zoey with a chainsaw!

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 8, 2010, 11:51 Verno

Way better The Passing was overall but still a whole 40 minutes of enjoyment total. Valve just takes too long on these things, I don't know how the TF2 team iterates so quickly but every other side of the company seems to operate at the speed of a turtle.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 7, 2010, 14:17 Bhruic

Yeah, I got the same thing. I actually was the tank in the car, couldn't get at the survivors until they opened the door. Gave them plenty of time to get set up, so kinda sucked on that front.  

30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 6, 2010, 16:05 PHJF

We did hit all three. And then nothing happened for five minutes and we wandered around aimlessly and felled a couple of tanks before the bridge ladder was accessible.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 6, 2010, 09:08 The Pyro

Played through the new campaign in Versus mode twice last night. Overall it's a good campaign. As an L4D1 player, though, it feels really strange shooting zombies in broad daylight

We encountered bugs in both playthroughs. Not sure if that's because of the patch or the new campaign. In one game the auto shotgun was bugged such that character animations screwed up for anyone using it. This bug affected everyone on the server, not just me.

Also, the tank in the train car was somehow triggered before we opened the door which caused some confusion. Everyone was running away due to the tank music, but the big guy was still locked in the train.

28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 6, 2010, 00:08 StingingVelvet

Like the two patch campaigns before it this one is short and lacking compared to the main ones, but still a good time. The middle level with the boats felt unique. I played it on both L4D and L4D2 and it was certainly made with 2 in mind, as the chargers and spitters felt right for the maps.

I had played No Mercy in L4D2 before via mods, but the polished official version is nice... those chargers make the roof level verrrrrry interesting.

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 23:33 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 22:55:
It's OK. The finale sucked and my team had no idea what we were doing. We ran to the blue objects and turned them on and then just... waited around for five minutes. Then another blue object appeared and we ran to that.

The second stage was nice.

wtf are you talking about?

Hit all 3, run to the end. "Sacrafice" one.

What I don't like "You need 1 person at the bridge - game over"

WTF!?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 23:09 Dev

Now watch for valve to virtually drop support for L4D1 despite promises not to. This will be the last DLC for l4d1, it was only #2 (and no, I don't count the patch adding vs versions of what it had for campaign maps, thats adding content that should have been in the release version, and the survival mode added a single mini map and reused bits of other maps). This despite promises of valve (including from Gabe) that it would be better supported than TF2, with faster and more DLC, new weapons, new special infected, etc. And the other main DLC for l4d1 only added a very short campaign, granted it was nice to have ONE short campaign if you didn't want to take 2 hours in vs, but I have a feeling valve did that more so they could focus a minimum of attention of L4D1 while doing L4D2.  

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Passing DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 23:03 Dev

cronik wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 23:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 14:22:
creepin at 1996 speeds.....

no shit, why on earth is my dl speed so slow???

Because valve never EVER prepares adequate bandwidth for big game releases or big DLC releases (it downloaded 7 gigs of updates for L4D1/2 for me). Despite repeated failures they just don't reserve enough. They reserve something like 2 or 3 times normal, but its far more than that.

Happened with L4D1, L4D2, each DLC for them, major DLC for TF2, game releases like HL2 ep2, I think with MW2, etc etc etc.

Content server stats:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Its starting to fall off now finally, so you should be good to go, might need to restart steam.

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Passing DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 23:01 cronik

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 14:22:
creepin at 1996 speeds.....

no shit, why on earth is my dl speed so slow???

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 22:55 PHJF

It's OK. The finale sucked and my team had no idea what we were doing. We ran to the blue objects and turned them on and then just... waited around for five minutes. Then another blue object appeared and we ran to that.

The second stage was nice.

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 20:29 StingingVelvet

Not sure it counts as coming out today since it's taking more than a day to download.  

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 19:30 xXBatmanXx

Wow this is a nice addition - the finale is difficult and challenging. Lots of fun.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 18:35 Zadig

Another 30 minutes of gameplay, pushing me up to a monumental 9 whole hours of L4D2. The "Sacrificial Gameplay" was particularly silly - just click a button and win. It's the end of the game so death is meaningless anyway.  

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 18:12 Bhruic

Yay. L4D2 is finally cheap enough for me to buy it. Actually, I think they had a sale before, but I missed it, so I'm glad I caught this one.  

18. Re: The Sacrifice, not Passing. Oct 5, 2010, 17:50 BicycleRepairMan

no problem, and I hate to nitpick here, but you still refer to it as The Passing, in the last line, but I guess we all have to make Sacrifices in order to get a pun in ZING!

Blue wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:55:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:22:
Blue I think you got that name wrong. This DLC is "The Sacrifice" and not "The Passing" which was the last DLC..

Oy, not good - sorry about that, it's fixed now.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 17:01 Nameless Again

Bugs, bugs, bugs.

L4D1 - After making it to each safe room, CTD. Had to restart game then start from the safe room I just made it to.

L4D2 - Trying to start single-player Sacrifice campaign I get CTD with the following error mesage:
43/ - infected: UTIL_SetModel: not precached: error.mdl.

Other L4D2 campaigns still load fine.

Oh yeah, Zoey is invisible in No Mercy:
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/vsbm/c8m1_apartment0003.jpg
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/vsbm/c8m1_apartment0001.jpg
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/vsbm/c8m1_apartment0000.jpg

Edit: Verified game cache, now Sacrifice campaign starts in L4D2, but now Zoey is missing in action in Sacrifice too.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2010, 17:20.

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 16:32 Enahs

Well fuck. I have deleted local content twice and re-downloaded everything for LfD2. It just will not start for me anymore since this damn update.

Fuckers!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 16:29 PHJF

I'm showing 3.4 gigs for L4D2 Add-on Support and 3.3 gigs for L4D2.

Big patch.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 16:22 xXBatmanXx

Turns out my connectivity and speed issues are COmcast related.

First problems I have had with cable internet in many many years.....looking at a current loss rate of 25%.

You can imagine how that customer service call went.

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 5, 2010, 16:16 StingingVelvet

Broke my Steam client for like 2 hours but now it's downloading. Steam is so stable and never has issues! Valve are perfect!  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo