Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Client

Steam News announces the Steam client will update itself the next time users login to Valve's online service. The change list for the new version follows.

• Steam will now use the language selected in the retail installer instead of the current UI language when installing from disc
  • Fixed a Steam overlay crash on OSX
  • Removed redundant names and improved displaying a large number of tabs in tabbed chat windows
  • Fixed web browser layout
  • Fixed tab chat dropdown menu flashing for new message in hidden chat page
  • Mac Overlay crashes fixed when trying to render to a screen with no game objects being drawn
  • Mac Retail install support for install in non-english languages
  • Mac support for detecting 10.6.4 with the Apple Snow Leopard Graphics Update (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4286) installed

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 22:57 jimnms

It must have had something to do with the demand for the new L4D(2) content. It started downloading it for L4D, and once it started I could play games without it crashing. I can't get it to update L4D2 though. When I try to run it to force it to update, it just tells me the game is unavailable. I've tried the trick of changing my download region and still get the problem.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 21:17 Spaced

Sure hope you guys don't have ANY games in your software library that are locked to Steam which you now can't access... that'd be a (-cough- predictable) bummer. Hopefully, none of your games are limited to Steam so you can still access what you paid for regardless of what happens to 'Steam'.

Sure is annoying when your permission slip is denied because of 'failures to connect', client crashes, and server problems (even wind storms, lol). Almost like owning cars you can't drive because you turned over the keys to someone else who refuses to let you use them (or lost them, lol)...

5. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 19:09 jimnms

Well it finally connected, but now I can't play any games. Whenever I try to play a game, I get the window "preparing to launch..." and it sits there. If I try to cancel it or just click the Steam window, I get the Windows error that Steam has stopped responding.

My L4D and L4D2 didn't update either, all I got when I launched it was an update for Worms Reloaded and a 34KB update for Amnesia: TDD.

Steam Profile

4. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 18:53 jimnms

DG wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:36:
Bah Steam being a PITA since this update. It oculdnt find connection so I had to delete clientregistry.blob, which it took ages to re-download and now it's barely got any connection for the Civ V update (yeah I tried resetting the DL location).
Damn, I never should have restarted after that update. It connected right up when I started it a little while ago, but now after it downloaded the new client I can't connect at all now.

Steam Profile

3. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 16:03 fujiJuice

DG wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:36:
Bah Steam being a PITA since this update. It oculdnt find connection so I had to delete clientregistry.blob, which it took ages to re-download and now it's barely got any connection for the Civ V update (yeah I tried resetting the DL location).

It is because of the left4dead updates I am sure.

2. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 15:36 DG

1. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 14:28 Dev

Steam will now use the language selected in the retail installer instead of the current UI language when installing from disc

Wonder if that has anything to do with the russian language MW2 copies on ebay being sold.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo