Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Grumpy Gamer - Corporate Censorship Kills Creative Innovation. Thanks Mike Martinez via Slashdot.
The truly sad part of what keeps the iPad from being a serious tool for creation and not just a toy for consumption is Apple's pathological control over the device. Why can't there be a common Documents folder that any application can save documents to? Why must all applications be locked into a sandbox, unable to communicate with each other in unthought of and creative ways without using some kludgy URL scheme.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Oct 7, 2010, 06:58 avianflu

the apps for ipad and ipods and iphones are giant revenue streams for Apple. They get a bit of $$ for _everything_ that goes on their devices. There is no compelling reason so far to change their business model, not even a little.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 23:38 Scud

When asked about the censorship I love how they try to spin it as being about looking out for the consumer's best interests and preserving the "Apple Experience". Well if giving up my rights to decide what I can and cannot run on my ipad/iphone is part of the "Apple Experience" then I'd just as soon avoid that experience altogether.  

7. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 18:20 PropheT

If I'm not mistaken they're adding things like a folder structure in an update schedule for November or so.

I love my iPad, but Apple's strict control on it is definitely a good reason not to buy one. Even with these functions mentioned in the article, though, I can't see it being a replacement for a regular laptop.

It's a brilliant always-on netbook with a lot of entertainment and business possibilities, but it's really hurt by the limitations put on it by Apple to the point where it's not a must-have device for anybody. They've made it more fun than practical when the practical side of it is actually more interesting with this type of technology.

6. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 18:16 Bhruic

A friend of mine has an iPad. It's actually quite a nice little device, but it's extremely frustrating trying to use it with Youtube. So many of the videos are flash-only, so it can be impossible to find what you are really looking for. It's sad that Jobs's sense of control is killing what could be a good selling point.  

5. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 16:24 jdreyer

Exactly why I won't own an iphone or ipad. I don't like corporations deciding what I run on my computer or how I run it. Apple is just the crux of the matter.

Exactly. I have never owned an Apple product and never will until they remove such restrictions (and lower their prices).

That being said, Apple does make some excellent and innovative products, and lifts the entire industry as a result of setting a high bar.

As for Mr. Jobs, I wish him the best of luck with his health issues.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 15:43  Blue 

Interesting article.

After a personal interview with Steve Jobs, the president of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, said that the owner of Apple was “very close to death.”

I didn't know Jobs was president of Chile. Wonder where he finds the time?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 14:26 space captain

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 13:31:
I wish Jobs would retire.

mother nature might be taking care of that

http://momento24.com/en/2010/09/27/steve-jobs-was-very-close-to-death/

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 13:31 Silicon Avatar

I wish Jobs would retire.

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2010, 12:09 Ozmodan

Exactly why I won't own an iphone or ipad. I don't like corporations deciding what I run on my computer or how I run it. Apple is just the crux of the matter.

I have had a laugh recently at several friends who were persuaded by their kids to buy ipads for college instead of a laptop. They were back buying laptops this week because of the idiotic transfer options on the ipad.

The kids were also finding out that typing a paper on an ipad was a very laborious process as the on screen keyboard leads to very cramped fingers quickly.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo