Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December

Blizzard Entertainment announces December 7 is the release date for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, the highly anticipated next expansion for their MMORPG. The standard edition for Windows and OS X will be $39.99 USD, and there's also a retail-only Collector's Edition with bonus items which will be $79.99 USD. "Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. Itís not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months." Those interested in participating in Cataclysm beta testing can still signup through Battle.net.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: If it wasn't for KoTOR... Oct 5, 2010, 15:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Kedyn wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 12:55:
Holy crap, really? Was it a Worgen or Goblin Priest or something?
Neither. It was gnome priest, no BoA's. The leveling curve has really been smoothed out, if you do all the breadcrumb quests, you'll finish out a zone completly and be in the level range for the next one.

So far in the beta the only zones that don't do that properly are all the new ones(hyjal, deepholme, Vashj, Uldum) because some quests are broken.

Just an update for anyone following 8hrs 0-30, cloak BOA @ lvl 20.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2010, 17:00.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: If it wasn't for KoTOR... Oct 5, 2010, 12:55 Kedyn

From 80 to 85 about 2 weeks at 5hrs a day. My new priest hit level 20 in under 3hrs.

Holy crap, really? Was it a Worgen or Goblin Priest or something?

36. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 5, 2010, 08:15 Mr. Tact

Thanks for that information Mashiki, I was wondering...

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2010, 08:20.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: If it wasn't for KoTOR... Oct 5, 2010, 01:05 Mashiki Amiketo

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 20:39:
Leveling to 85 is going to take 100s and 100s of hours. By the time I reach level cap and get to experience the endgame, it'll be too late.
From 80 to 85 about 2 weeks at 5hrs a day. My new priest hit level 20 in under 3hrs.

Probably you'd see 4 days played from 1-80, and 6-10 days 80-85.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: If it wasn't for KoTOR... Oct 4, 2010, 22:39 Grokk

I've been playing the beta for a couple weeks now, and I have to say that it's nothing like the faceroll that wotlk is. So far it seems like a cross between good old vanilla and the better parts of BC.

The new quests are all done in a breadcrumb type system so you can easily follow them from one location to another, eventually leading you to the end of the zone where the dungeon or whatever might be.

The gear is a huge change, with a level 85 in greens sporting around 60k hp/mana. Though it's still more than easy enough to burn through all that and take a death fighting 2-3 mobs at once.

Heroics are heroic again and so far require a decent group with some ability to pay attention etc...

I'm looking forward to this one.

33. If it wasn't for KoTOR... Oct 4, 2010, 20:39 JohnBirshire

Leveling to 85 is going to take 100s and 100s of hours. By the time I reach level cap and get to experience the endgame, it'll be too late.  

32. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 18:56 Mr. Tact

Played from the start, quit in April. My original main was a Hunter. With the total redo on Hunters there's no way for me to resist this. Don't know how long I'll last but I'm looking forward to it currently.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 17:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Kedyn wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 14:25:
In my experience, anyone who calls WotLK "too casual" has also never even killed the Lich King on normal mode, or tried ANY of the raid encounters on heroic difficulty. Oh boo hoo, people who have jobs can gets lewts! How can a l33t dewd survive in such a harsh world now?
Eh okay? The guild I'm in has seen the highest turnover rate of long-time raiders with this expansion than they've ever seen. With people simply suspending accounts, or stopping raiding, and going to pvp because it's more fun. Launch guild, top 50 in the US, etc,etc,etc. While I'm not raiding, I also haven't heard so much gnashing of teeth over the content since the c'thun cockblock, and lolwell. A lot of raiders found the game and content to be mediocre and boring in wrath. Too much lulz faceroll, who needs mana, we always has mana healing, along with meh dps...dime...dozen...grab them as long as they can follow simple instructions it's good.

Standing in the fire? Whatever, the healers can heal through it. This is the first expansion I got bored of raid content. Required learning curve on content way down. From a guild that used to do 4-5(days)x6hrs a week to 2-3x3hrs in a week. While that's good, people like challenges.

Beta being beta, and the massive shift to more tactical healing along with other things. It's shaping up to be a better expansion than wrath. Feels like vanilla, with TBC polish. I'm good with this, if it keeps going the same with raids, I'll be even better with this.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 17:29 Starang

Your mistake. In my experience, anyone who calls WotLK "too casual" has also never even killed the Lich King on normal mode, or tried ANY of the raid encounters on heroic difficulty. Oh boo hoo, people who have jobs can gets lewts! How can a l33t dewd survive in such a harsh world now?

You are right, I never did kill The Lich King I quit about a month after Uludar was released because I got bored. I did all the hard modes but I never killed Algalon on 10 man and never killed Yogg hard mode 25 man. That I have to be some as you say "l33t dewd" because I think the whole game had become too casual in all areas is simply wrong and I think hard mode is a lazy way to make the game fun. In my experience, anyone who calls someone a "l33t dewd" is a douche bag but this time I'll write it off as you getting mad because I have an opinion that differs from yours about your favorite game in the whole world.

29. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 16:45 peonjohn

Cutter
Zackly. SWTOR is WoW 2.0 in space, but not as good.

If it's not as good it wouldn't be 2.0 then, now would it?

28. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 16:25 Cutter

Zackly. SWTOR is WoW 2.0 in space, but not as good.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:59 Steele Johnson

Raided almost every night doing heroic runs. but im an worn the fuck out on wow. Personally I feel that Blizzard is releasing this addon just to try and screw over Star Wars. Im leaning more towards Star Wars. at least its somethng new.

I hate to break it to you, but Star Wars will be that same ol' formula that you've grown to love (most likely hate), but with a different skin and more talking npcs (yippie!). It will have all the balancing problems and defects that all new mmos have from the beginning. Sure, you'll see different looking environments, but.... that's pretty much it. Bioware would love to steal you away from Blizzard only to give you that long, drawn out work of grinding that you don't mind paying for. lol

26. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:50 Steele Johnson

First expansion I won't be buying, it went way to casual for me with Wrath of the lich king, with that said it will probably still be the best mmorpg around.

If you're saying that 'grinding' makes an mmo hardcore, then yes, you're right.

25. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:42 Frijoles

I'll be putting a pre-order in soon. Downloading the beta again to have a look at Archeology. Looks fun. Looking forward to the guild chat when everyone returns.  

24. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:31 Muscular Beaver

I'll wait and see. Will prolly wait 2 months after release again so I wont have that much frustration with it.
However, my hopes are not very high. BC was ok, even though I didnt like the setting and thus the atmosphere, and the adding of resilience destroyed my reasons to raid, but WotLK was far, far, far worse. Felt like some stupid facebook game after that.
Still I gotta say, aside from the Paladin and Deathknight crap going on for the first year (was prolly more), the PvP balance has improved. Not much, but its noticeable.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

23. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:28 rist3903

If you were ever hooked on World of Warcrack you will cave and buy this

I was hooked on WoW and I will not be buying this. My entire guild quit playing it eventually because there was nothing new under the sun for so long.

22. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:27 Fion

Your mistake. In my experience, anyone who calls WotLK "too casual" has also never even killed the Lich King on normal mode, or tried ANY of the raid encounters on heroic difficulty. Oh boo hoo, people who have jobs can gets lewts! How can a l33t dewd survive in such a harsh world now?

QFT.

Sure heroics are cake in WotLK but heroic ICC or Lich King are quite hardcore. Most of this stuff is just bitching because casuals could get epics in WotLK. I never understood the whole 'I live in my parents basement and play for 80 hours a week. Anyone else that doesn't put in that kind of time doesn't DESERVE even the most basic of epics' mindset. Frankly I've always found it rather pathetic.

On topic I'm looking forward to WotLK. I had previously left WoW but came back fairly recently and am enjoying the heck out of it. 4.01 brings some huge (but overall very good) changes and we'll be seeing that on live in about a week. Cataclysm is sure to bring much, much more.

21. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:06 Jonny

Nice. I've just got landed with a guild as well, so I'm looking forward to the guild functionality and leveling.  

20. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 14:25 Kedyn

First expansion I won't be buying, it went way to casual for me with Wrath of the lich king, with that said it will probably still be the best mmorpg around.

Not sure why you'd skip it, then. If you've been paying any attention to the beta at all, they seem to be trying very hard to pull the pendulum back to the center, somewhere between Burning Crusade's brutal endgame and Wrath's anti-social facerolling. If anything they seem to be tilting more toward the BC side, going back to requiring a modicum of actual skill to survive dungeons.

Amen. I remember the days before they nerfed heroic dungeons in TBC, back when your tank could get two-shotted by some pulls, like the very bottom of the Blood Furnace. Good god that was brutal.

40 bucks for an addon, fuck blizzard. I was torn as it was for going back to play this game anymore. Im with one of the better guilds on our server. Raided almost every night doing heroic runs. but im an worn the fuck out on wow. Personally I feel that Blizzard is releasing this addon just to try and screw over Star Wars. Im leaning more towards Star Wars. at least its somethng new.

We'll see if Star Wars can even make it out this holiday. I doubt it. Bioware has high standards, and they won't want their first MMO to be crap.

19. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 14:21 sauron

strich wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 13:51:
Pull your panties out, Grounded. Not everyone's hardcore.

Half of that guy's posts get removed by moderators. Don't feed the 13 year old angst-ridden troll.

Kittens!

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo