Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2010, 16:14 PHJF

You're amazed that motherboards still allow power, clock, timing et al customization of hardware?

Because that's what BIOS is for. And it's never changing until somehow Windows integrates that level of hardware control customization (which is probably never for the sake of protecting idiots that would fry their systems).

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2010, 10:15 Jivaro

You would think the writer of that article would have capitalized BIOS as well. Weird.

Anyway, I am glad to see the change is finally coming, amazing how long BIOS has lasted if you compare it to just about every other piece of hardware/software in a PC.

As far as boot times, which is really only one of the upsides to this change, I will believe it when I see it. As someone else alluded to..there is always someone willing to make software that bogs down the potential speed of any feature.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2010, 08:41 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2010, 13:49:
But who cares about cold-boot time when you have standby resume which takes about 50ms on a 4gb machine. In fact it takes longer for my "screen" to "boot" than my pc.

Yeah I was gonna post the same thing. My system comes out of S3 sleep faster than my HDTV does it internal tests and initializes after I turn it on.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2010, 03:48 eRe4s3r

Mhh, but what do you call boot time? Boot time till you see the Windows Login or time till you can actually do anything?

Because a new bios is not gonna solve the resume times of USB Storage or Network Storage. Or the time it takes for Windows to reconnect to network shares or usb devices that are currently in power saving mode - which dead-locks the entire god damn OS (the explorer, anyway) until they are powered up.

SSD's are simply too small and too expensive to be used for large storage or NAS. Or even for backup and external network user profile stuff.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 3, 2010, 15:38 Frijoles

Hmm.. where have I heard this "boot in seconds" thing before? Oh, I know. Every damn year for the last 20 years. I'll believe it when I see it.  

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 3, 2010, 15:08 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2010, 13:49:
But who cares about cold-boot time when you have standby resume which takes about 50ms on a 4gb machine. In fact it takes longer for my "screen" to "boot" than my pc.

Cold boot time is just one of the benefits of UEFI, and not even one of the biggest ones. That said, there's plenty of times when standby is not an option, so going to faster cold-boot times would be a blessing.

UEFI + SSD should literally get your system ready to go in 3-4 seconds, apparently, which is pretty fucking awesome.

And then Creative and Adobe will release shit that will add 48 seconds to your boot time...

Creston

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 3, 2010, 13:49 eRe4s3r

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo