Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Real ID Opt Outs

Battle.net has word on new Battle.net privacy settings to allow opting out of the controversial Real ID program. Here's word:

We'd like to make you aware of the new Real ID-related privacy options we've introduced to Battle.net. These options provide Real ID users with additional tools for customizing the service based on their preferences, enabling the ability to opt in or out of the Real ID "Friends of Friends" and "Add Facebook Friends" features or to turn off Real ID altogether.

To access these settings, log in to your Battle.net account at http://www.battle.net/account. From there, click on the "Settings" tab located at the center of the Account Management menu and select "Communication Preferences" from the dropdown list. The new settings can be found in the "Privacy" section of the Communication Preferences page.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 21:16 Flatline

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 00:15:
Oh for fuck's sake people, really? It was already opt-in from the first place. No one ever forced you to use the Facebook integration. No one was "opted-in" to it automatically. The only time you ever used it was when you deliberately wanted to search for friends.

That's it.

And for that, it worked brilliantly. I found 10-15 people instantly that I wanted to play Starcraft II with that I lost contact with years ago. I had no idea most of these people wanted to play SCII in the first place and now I'm talking with them for the first time in years, sharing a common interest.

Funny, I refused facebook integration and it still displayed my full first and last name to the world. Battle.net did this so that I could chat in between battle.net games. That was the main complaint...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 10:03 wtf_man

I "opted" not to buy the game.

(No interest reasons, more than the silly Real ID thing... but I probably wouldn't have bought it for that reason too.)

15. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 09:50 nin

Pretty sure this wasn't "new" my account was already set for "opt out".

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I found an option a few months ago to opt out of it...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 09:41 Mr. Tact

Pretty sure this wasn't "new" my account was already set for "opt out".  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 08:47 Luke

mr zuckerberg is in tha house , so even if it is a opt in/out , he got what he want  

12. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 04:35 nutshell42

WTF are you talking about. Yeah, you have to "opt out" of Real ID but Real ID even now does jack-shit without your consent. I haven't "opted out" of Real ID but I don't have Real ID contacts or use the Facebook integration. All it does is put an annoying facebook button on the front page.

So could any of you consumer rights attorneys explain to me how Real ID's evil automatic opt in affects me?

11. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 04:31 Jonny

Yep, opted out of that as soon as I saw this. Plus when I logged onto Battlenet I found I'm eligible for the Cataclysm beta. Wonder how long that's been sitting there?

Cheers Blue.

10. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 04:04 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 01:13:
Nothing about your privacy is affected in any way unless you deliberately enter your username and password into Facebook. No one can find you. You can't find anyone else.

That is the literal definition of opt-in. No one made a choice for you. A button there saying nothing but "search facebook" is not an opt-in.

No, it isn't. If it was the literal definition of opt-in, why would blizzard call it opt out? Stop trying to defend Blizzard; they're not saints, they're just a business in it for the money.

9. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 03:01 Mashiki Amiketo

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 01:13:
Nothing about your privacy is affected in any way unless you deliberately enter your username and password into Facebook. No one can find you. You can't find anyone else.

That is the literal definition of opt-in. No one made a choice for you. A button there saying nothing but "search facebook" is not an opt-in.
Wrong. In Canada a business using your personal information in any form is illegal without your express consent. Note that I said express consent, which means nothing buried in the ELUA or anything like that. That includes making option that links to a possible breech of your personal information illegal here.

The only actual way to opt-out of this was to enable parental controls on your account and disable it. It was enabled by default for everyone. Again, illegal in Canada. (also useful point, illegal in most of the EU as well). I'll also note that 'opt-out' services are illegal in Canada as well. We went though this fiasco with cable compaines.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 01:13 elefunk

7. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 00:29 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 00:15:
Oh for fuck's sake people, really? It was already opt-in from the first place.

No, it wasn't. Which is why Blizzard's setting screen has you *uncheck* the "Enable RealID" to *opt-out*.

No one ever forced you to use the Facebook integration. No one was "opted-in" to it automatically. The only time you ever used it was when you deliberately wanted to search for friends.

That's it.

And for that, it worked brilliantly. I found 10-15 people instantly that I wanted to play Starcraft II with that I lost contact with years ago. I had no idea most of these people wanted to play SCII in the first place and now I'm talking with them for the first time in years, sharing a common interest.

I don't care if search was the "only" thing exposed; the point is that I should have had the choice to participate in the program at all.

You don't care about privacy, that's fine, but don't force your ideas on other people or try to belittle us because we care.

If I *choose* to put my information online, that's one thing. It's something completely different to make that choice *for* me.

6. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 00:15 elefunk

Oh for fuck's sake people, really? It was already opt-in from the first place. No one ever forced you to use the Facebook integration. No one was "opted-in" to it automatically. The only time you ever used it was when you deliberately wanted to search for friends.

That's it.

5. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 23:39 Cutter

Exactly. Opt-out should be illegal for any business to do. It should always, and only, be opt-in. And even now they're be douchey about it by making you have to seek it out.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 23:29 Flatline

DrEvil wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 23:05:
This is totally backwards; it should be opt-in not opt-out. Idiots.

Yeah I wouldn't be quick to praise Blizzard for taking a Facebook approach to privacy.

3. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 23:05 DrEvil

This is totally backwards; it should be opt-in not opt-out. Idiots.  

2. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 22:31 Creston

Good work, Blizzard. That whole "social" thing of yours really worked out well, huh?

I'm glad you can turn the shit off now, though. Fucking Facebook.

Creston

1. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 22:24 TorchMaster

And... done. Goodbye Real ID -- What a dumb idea.

Edit: It is still showing my name on the SC2 in-game player profile, but the 'Add Facebook Friends' box has been removed. So, something was effected by this change, but maybe the entire fix is not in place.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2010, 22:30.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo