Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches

Square Enix announces that FINAL FANTASY XIV is now live on North America, offering the new MMO installment in the long-running FINAL FANTASY role-playing series. A 30-day subscription is included with the game, after which time it is $12.99/30 days.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 10:01 Verno

necrosis wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 07:53:
11 and 14 look NOTHING like a typical SE JRPG.

If he was comparing the races, sure they do. In fact many of the enemies and general aesthetic design of the world have obvious roots in their old titles.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 07:53 necrosis

The Advocate wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 18:42:
Ah, yes, another installment of a 14 year old boy with a 30 foot tall sword who is out to save the world from his brother/father/twin/repressed molestation trauma.
Look up some info on the game before you make a total ass of yourself.

11 and 14 look NOTHING like a typical SE JRPG.

18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 07:00 Verno

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 00:17:
I haven't played a FF games since Tactics on the PSX, and my understanding is that FF14 is soul-draining Asian grindfest MMO, but I do really appreciate that Square continues to make games for their fans rather than "innovating to bring the experience to a whole new audience", where innovating means just ripping off what ever is popular at the moment and fobbing it off as something new and exciting.

There are things they could do, particularly with regards to UI design to make the game more accessible without sacrificing any gameplay aspects. They just don't get it. Read the recent article about Japanese vs Western design to get a better understanding of why. A tl;dr version of it is that Japanese companies are slow to change and do not listen to feedback, that's from the mouth of a famous Japanese game developer by the way. Anyways it sucks because western development houses tend to get things wrong then iterate quickly but Japanese dev houses can get things wrong for a decade and just keep on going. This game is a perfect example of ignoring the market and paying the price later on. There are a ton of people who literally won't be able to play this game, I'd be shocked if a lot of casuals made it past the patcher its so bad.

17. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 03:55 Esoteric

This is just a bad MMO, and I'm a fan of MMOs in general, I cut them some slack on release. But the base gameplay here is so fundamentally bad that I can't imagine anyone but a few masochists having fun with it. Combat is horrid.  

16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 00:17 Scottish Martial Arts

I haven't played a FF games since Tactics on the PSX, and my understanding is that FF14 is soul-draining Asian grindfest MMO, but I do really appreciate that Square continues to make games for their fans rather than "innovating to bring the experience to a whole new audience", where innovating means just ripping off what ever is popular at the moment and fobbing it off as something new and exciting.  

15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Oct 1, 2010, 00:14 Sencho

Fortunately their design on the admin side for setting up the game - creating the account, buy character slots, etc - is so primitive and so poorly documented that many lives will be saved the control-pad designed UI.  

14. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 22:52 Cram

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 22:45:
Cram wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 22:16:
JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 22:08:
The opening movie alone was worth 50 bucks.

Jest or not, pray Bobby Kotick doesn't catch wind of that comment. I'll blame you if I have to pay $30+ bucks just to watch Diablo 3's visuals.

Oh please. As if ANYTHING the customers want or think has ever made any kind of difference to what Bobby Cocktick does.

Creston

Touche

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 22:45 Creston

Cram wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 22:16:

Jest or not, pray Bobby Kotick doesn't catch wind of that comment. I'll blame you if I have to pay $30+ bucks just to watch Diablo 3's visuals.

Oh please. As if ANYTHING the customers want or think has ever made any kind of difference to what Bobby Cocktick does.

Creston

12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 22:16 Cram

11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 22:08 JohnBirshire

The opening movie alone was worth 50 bucks. Seemed normal enough at first, then suddenly the guy takes a hit of acid, ends up in a flying dildo while watching a spaceship get destroyed by a giant dragon, then all the sudden lizardmen start showing up and jumping to lightspeed. Not sure wtf just happened.

Oh, and if I didn't play an MMO just because it was a mess at release, I would never play any MMO, ever.

10. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 21:56 Cram

Verno wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 20:52:
Terrible game released in the typical MMO manner - far too early and full of broken shit. Square learned nothing about modern MMO design and they swapped party grinding for generic timer based leve grinds. The interface was designed for gamepads which is just the final piece of shit on the pile.

Agreed all around.

I can't wait to read IGN and Gamespots reviews especially considering FFXIV ads have COMPLETELY taken over both sites. I'm sure a good laugh or two will be had.

9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 20:52 Verno

Terrible game released in the typical MMO manner - far too early and full of broken shit. Square learned nothing about modern MMO design and they swapped party grinding for generic timer based leve grinds. The interface was designed for gamepads which is just the final piece of shit on the pile.  

8. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 20:32 Sepharo

Linksil wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 20:29:
Might be wrong to say it, but I've liked almost all the FF games. Didn't play the mmo's, or the latest one yet, but 8/9/10/11 were all solid games. Not just rehashes of the same game like some people tend to think without even playing them. But to each his/her own.

11 was an MMO. 12 and 13 are the ones I hear the most complaints about.

I personally like 6, 7, and 10 the most.

The music from the Golden Saucer has been stuck in my head for over 10 years or so.

7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 20:29 Linksil

Might be wrong to say it, but I've liked almost all the FF games. Didn't play the mmo's, or the latest one yet, but 8/9/10/11 were all solid games. Not just rehashes of the same game like some people tend to think without even playing them. But to each his/her own.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 19:59 SM0k3

I quit giving a shit after Final Fantasy VII, nothing will beat that one.  

5. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 19:45 sauron

J wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 19:15:
How come FINAL FANTASY never seems to be final, and yet I haven't seen any more of the NeverEnding Story?

Their other MMO FFXI is now almost 8 years old and still has a devoted following of fans/(slaves?).

I vote we rename it Interminable Fantasy XI (IFXI). Or maybe Impossible Troll-laden Grind Fantasy XI (ITGFXI).

I do hope FFXIV is better than FFXI.

Kittens!

4. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 19:35 eRe4s3r

because you are livering an alternate reality where things are always the opposite of what they are supposed to be.

FF would also be a lot better without 14 god damn revisions of the same game.

3. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 19:15 J

How come FINAL FANTASY never seems to be final, and yet I haven't seen any more of the NeverEnding Story?  

2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 18:42 Burrito of Peace

Ah, yes, another installment of a 14 year old boy with a 30 foot tall sword who is out to save the world from his brother/father/twin/repressed molestation trauma.  

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Launches Sep 30, 2010, 18:34 Kxmode

FINAL. FANTASY. EXX. EYE. VEE. EMM EMM OHHH, ARRR... PEE. GEEEEEEE!  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo