Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The drive to the trail where I walk the dogs follows a very quiet little street leading to the woodsy end of town. We were puttering along yesterday when a kid popped up about 10 feet in front of the car after racing down a very steep driveway on his skateboard. I was taking the road at an appropriate pace and was able to avoid turning him into road kill, though something as simple as glancing at the radio at the wrong moment would have easily turned this into a tragedy. I'm guessing he'd done this a million times before and had grown comfortable thinking that so few cars passed that way that such a brush was impossible, but his response to my horn honk made me confident that he appreciated the danger of what he had done and would be rethinking this maneuver.

Maneuvered Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Java Minecraft.
Planetary Wars.
Kill Your Nerves.
Links: Incredibly Depressing Mega Millions Lottery Simulator. Thanks Boing Boing.
Turning Welch's Into Wine In 48 Hours.
Top 10 Craziest Ironic Deaths of All Time.
Stories: ATV-riding flasher arrested in rural Saskatchewan. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
ATMs That Sell Gold Bars Are Coming Soon to America. Thanks Slashdot.
Ben & Jerry's to stop calling its ice cream 'all natural'.
Science: World Robot Olympiad event coverage.
Spartans Are Not Born, They Are Made.
R2VAC2 Vacuum Cleaner Doesn't Like the Dark Side of the Force & Dirt.
Seriously Composed.
Media: Team Fortress 2: Everybody Dance Now. Thanks Joker961.
Watch The World's First Curved Escalator In Action.
Mission impossible cat fails at stealth.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Watch The World's First Curved Escalator In Action. Sep 29, 2010, 17:04 nin

UPDATE: A HuffPost reader points out that there is a curved escalator at the Wynn in Las Vegas, while another notes that there are curved escalators at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Place. It is not clear that these make use of the Levytator's technology.

I was going to post something about that here earlier, but I have to admit it's been a couple of years since I've seen it. If I remember right, it was a spiral that went up through 3-4 floors of a (expensive) mini-mall.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Watch The World's First Curved Escalator In Action. Sep 29, 2010, 16:57 Sepharo

zirik wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 16:27:
there is a mall in downtown san francisco near the cable car station that has a curved escalator. and its been there since the late 80s.

It is obviously a figment of your imagination because this clearly says "World's First".

UPDATE: A HuffPost reader points out that there is a curved escalator at the Wynn in Las Vegas, while another notes that there are curved escalators at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Place. It is not clear that these make use of the Levytator's technology.

You should send your example in too.

7. Watch The World's First Curved Escalator In Action. Sep 29, 2010, 16:27 zirik

there is a mall in downtown san francisco near the cable car station that has a curved escalator. and its been there since the late 80s.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2010, 15:05 Armengar

but his response to my horn honk made me confident that he appreciated the danger of what he had done and would be rethinking this maneuver

you must live in a nice area. If I honked my horn at kids near me then my car would be pelted with rocks and burned out by the morning.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2010, 14:27 Hoop

Dear Mr Blue,

I blame video games, in this case Tony Hawk's "Underground".
I'm just so glad he was not a FPS fan, a car horn is no match for an AK47.

Yours
Jack Thompson

Um .. Behind you...

4. Gold ATMs Sep 29, 2010, 13:25 Jim

Silly idea. Gold is the next bubble.  
Jim

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 Sepharo

I feel compelled to note that the free Minecraft linked today is the creative mode. It has infinite blocks and no monsters. When you pay for Minecraft you get the survival mode and multiplayer.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue -- MILF Realtors Sep 29, 2010, 12:00 Steelcamp

HHMM no website eh! if this is real what is the catch?  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2010, 11:57 raVen

Minecraft is awesome, and has sucked up my life the past couple of days  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo