Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer

A new trailer shows off the engine in Sword of the Stars II, the 4X strategy sequel currently in development at Kerberos Productions. Here's word on the trailer: "Boasting an all new graphics engine and incorporating new ship details that allow for new fleet strategies and tactics, Sword of the Stars 2 is poised to revive the 4X space genre and is scheduled for a 2011 release."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 29, 2010, 09:54 Armengar

Its a cert from me. I loved SOTS 1. Hivers are fantastic if you get farcasters. The random tech tree was a bit stupid though. Far better to play with a modded fully open tech tree.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 29, 2010, 09:32 Burrito of Peace

I watched this in YouTube's HD version and I am not terribly excited about it.

The textures look muddy and a bit low rez. N:TJI, while an older game, had much crisper textures on the ships themselves.

Also, when the camera pans around the nameplate on the SFS Minks, the ship name alternately is flat on the hull and then pops off of it to float above it. If that's a feature, it's not well done.

Space is vast and gorgeous and any game set in space that centers around starships needs to reflect that. I agree with the poster a few comments above that no one has yet to capture that like Homeworld and N:TJI did.

Shame, really, given that the 4x formula of build, research, build and kill has pretty much been perfected.

5. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 29, 2010, 08:23 gilly775

Is this really as good as Sins? What's the learning curve on it? If it is as addicting as Sins, I may have to purchase it. Nothing has topped Sins for me yet, but I do like similar games that introduce something new and different.  

4. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 28, 2010, 23:40 eRe4s3r

Zeh flickering lights indicate "ship is gonna die" in the final game For the demo it was just there to add some movement to the image  

3. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 28, 2010, 23:37 Surf

Always thought this game played like shit compared to Sins and Homeworld. Looks a lot better but in the future wouldn't they have fixed flickering lights?  

2. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 28, 2010, 22:52 eRe4s3r

If they work on the explosions and effects to reach nexus level that'd be neat - but i am not holding my breath. Though this game is a instant buy either way.  

1. Re: Sword of the Stars II Engine Trailer Sep 28, 2010, 21:02 Parias

SOTS1 remains one of the most addictive games at our LAN parties (next to Men of War) so I was already sold at the announcement that SOTS2 was coming, but this really seals the deal. Finally, a space strategy game that will look as good as (if not better than) Nexus: The Jupiter Incident!  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo