Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2

Dead Rising 2 rises in North America today, as Capcom's Zombie-killing action game is now available in stores. The game is also available through digital distribution on Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Here's Steam's description:

Dead Rising 2 takes the zombie survival horror to Fortune City, America’s latest and greatest entertainment playground. Featuring a new story, two online multiplayer modes (2-player co-op campaign and a 4-player “TV show” themed Pay-Per-View event that pits humans against zombies), thousands of on-screen zombies and more, Dead Rising 2 takes zombie survival horror to a whole new level.

As Chuck Greene, you have 72 hours to save your infected daughter, clear your name and survive the hordes of hungry zombies before the military comes in and nukes the city. To ensure your survival, you can combine everyday objects to create numerous deadly combo weapons and slaughter the ravenous zombies. Dead Rising 2, it’s where Creativity Kills.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Oct 2, 2010, 10:41 xXBatmanXx

oh man the game is a riot.....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Oct 1, 2010, 07:27 Eldaron Imotholin

Haha, xXBatmanXx is on the prowl! You remind me of myself being the missionary of Amnesia.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

78. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 30, 2010, 21:12 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 20:57:
Pyloff wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 18:07:
it looks to be a straight sequel, nothing really diverging from the original.

Errr, what? It's really all that you could ask for in a sequel. Bigger map, more content, they went fairly lax on the timers so it's hard to miss things, easier to level, combo weapon system, better story, better characterization, co-op, improved survivor AI, etc. What more do you want exactly?

I've played the shit out of both games and Dead Rising 2 is nearly the perfect sequel. It's definitely not a Crackdown 1 vs 2 situation.

Agreed. I have saved ALMOST everyone, but on other playthroughs I skipped people that were a pain in the ass. You can probably save everyone on your 2nd FULL playthrough - damn near do it on your first if you hustle and not play around.

I don't really have ANY complaints on the game. The AI is pretty damn good - no one has gotten stuck yet - not one has died on the way back to the safe room - and they do well with weapons. And if you add books they do DAMN well on their own....I guess my only complaint is when they grief me.

Other than that. Wow. For 40.00, you are getting A HELL OF A LOT OF GAME!@

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 30, 2010, 20:57 Verno

Pyloff wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 18:07:
it looks to be a straight sequel, nothing really diverging from the original.

Errr, what? It's really all that you could ask for in a sequel. Bigger map, more content, they went fairly lax on the timers so it's hard to miss things, easier to level, combo weapon system, better story, better characterization, co-op, improved survivor AI, etc. What more do you want exactly?

I've played the shit out of both games and Dead Rising 2 is nearly the perfect sequel. It's definitely not a Crackdown 1 vs 2 situation.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 30, 2010, 18:07 Pyloff

I remember restarting a few times (some on purpose and some from dying) and almost beating it before I read the faq on the chansaws. Wow that sure changed the game, I had to switch XBoxes and did not have a way to transfer the savegames so I started over and it was a totally different game. It was super cool just mowing down paths of zombo's after struggling with my first Frank.

I also remember orange juice being important, heh.

I liked the game a lot, it was the first Xbox 360 game I ever purchased. I remember being blown away by the cut scenes.

Now I'm gonna hold off until it's at most $30 retail. They waited to long to release it and it looks to be a straight sequel, nothing really diverging from the original.

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 30, 2010, 17:25 xXBatmanXx

9 Hours of co-op play, restarted 3 times cause we were having fun screwing around about 1/4h the way through and missed some case items.

We are now about 3/4 done.....having a blast!

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 11:55 Verno

It's GFWL to play but organizing on the Steam Group chat is probably easier than posting gamertags here. It's nice to see GFWL not ruin a game for once too, the MP works flawlessly without issues.  

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 09:36 xXBatmanXx

Those who have it on pc - go to the Bluesnews Steam group and add me so we can play!

Or is it a GFWL connection to play?

Either way - hit me up so we can do the co-op!

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 09:24 xXBatmanXx

You're obviously a console-gamer, am I right? It's all over your comment. I, as a PC gamer, am not in for frustrating challanges like annoying bossfights that are mainly frustrating because of a fucked up saving system. How a game that makes you pissed off (and throw your controller away + walk away) could be considered A WELL MADE GAME is beyond me. Probably completely understandable for the console-gamer minds, but not for me.

Nope. Far from it. I play console games on a console though. Check my Steam games list. Second to only 1 person that I know on here.
-My comments was pointing you to GREAT games in history that were so frustrating it was ridiculous - but we all kept playing them over and over just to get a TINY bit farther in the game - NES was notorious for that.
-And honestly - "console kiddies" of today would not last 2 hours with some of the NES games I mention. Hell, some pc gamers couldn't last 2 hours....
***AND WHAT ABOUT BALLOON FIGHT!? How many times did you play "Balloon Trip" instead of playing the actual game?

Would you feel better if I said, "how many times did you play DOOM when you first got it only to die a million times and keep playing it over and over" or "how about 'Project IGI' and 'Project IGI 2'"? Two almost impossible games that would piss me off to no end!

And you can't be a PC gamer without mentioning Hidden and Dangerous and Hidden and Dangerous 2 as probably 2 of the hardest games I have ever played in my life.

How many times did you replay Quake, Quake 2, etc.?

You see - the game is different and FORCES you to replay and be good at it. Most people today only want mindless dribble and an arrow with closed in areas that keep you on the rails.

I liken the experience to the first time I play through a Final Fantasy game.....I have no idea what I am doing - but it is hella hard and hella fun.

I also have hundreds - HUNDREDS of hours in L4D games (mostly campagin co-op) and various other PC games. To be able to experience a game and do so in a different way each time is very enjoyable.

Shit - I STILL fire up GTA games on both pc and console. They are just well made games that deserve replays.

I played Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, 5-6 times all the way through on my last days off. It was a blast - got to play each ending. For those who think that DR2 is maybe to big - try case zero - small map, maybe more your style....

/edit: oh - and I am installing on my pc as we speak.....

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2010, 09:34.

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 09:18 Verno

KilrathiAce wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 06:30:
I have seen many screenshots of this game and all I have to say wow, graphics are terrible lol, damn nintendo 64 could run this game easily. Come on, put some damn development into how the game actually looks.

Play the PC version, it looks fantastic at 1080p with 8xAA and 16x AF.

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 08:32 SpectralMeat

Jerykk wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 01:50:
I use mine all the time for games like Batman AA, Assassin's Vreed, Mirror's Edge etc, anything more suited for a console controller then a mouse/keyboard (Just Cause 2 as well).

What? Mirror's Edge plays much better with M/KB than with a gamepad. In fact, given the design of the time trials, it almost feels like the game were designed for M/KB because I honestly have no idea how you could get 3 stars on the time trials with a gamepad.

Just Cause 2 also plays better with M/KB, since you have to aim.

I've tried JC2 with both keyboard and mouse and then with controller and I thought the controller option was better suited for that game. Especially when you try to take over a helicopter, I had to constantly look down which button to press.
Mirror's Edge I can't comment on, I've tried the 360 demo and I hated it.
I usually use the controller for racing games anyways, but some shooter games especially 3rd person ones just somehow feels better with the controller. Mafia2 I also just use the controller. Again that is just my preference after trying out both control methods.

Steam: SpectralMeat

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 07:10 Eldaron Imotholin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 05:53:
Died again tonight after killing another 1000 zombies and completing 3 "quests" without saving. How I felt right there is how I never wanna feel when doing something that's supposed to be fun. And all because of some fucking freakshows with sniper-rifles in the park and I had a mermaid to carry.

Sorry - but that just makes me want to play the game more! I mean shit - I never beat some NES games cause of how hard they were - but I never stopped trying! How many times did you play through Castlevania? sheesh. I STILL can't beat it - I watched a buddy do it last year on my DS. Ghost n Goblins anyone? This to me is great gaming. In fact, I have been buying some of those games again on XBOX, I play Contra now just as much as I did then!!!! Don't even get me started on games like Wizards and Warriors, Kid Nikki, Rush n Attack, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout (never beat Mike), and the list of hundreds that were great games that were damn near impossible. When a game makes you curse out loud, throw your controller, and walk away......THAT IS A WELL MADE GAME!

You're obviously a console-gamer, am I right? It's all over your comment. I, as a PC gamer, am not in for frustrating challanges like annoying bossfights that are mainly frustrating because of a fucked up saving system. How a game that makes you pissed off (and throw your controller away + walk away) could be considered A WELL MADE GAME is beyond me. Probably completely understandable for the console-gamer minds, but not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely in for a game that's a challange overall. Like Deus Ex was, or even The Witcher and Dragon Age before the patch. I love that, because that's genuine difficulty intertwined with every mechanic of the game. Dead Rising 2 is something else. It's like they purposely added WRONG elements to the game... like timelimits, unexpected and suicidal bossfights, and a fucked up saving system.

Maybe later next week I'll reinstall the game and atleast use the trainer to be able to save anywhere. That'll seriously take a HUGE part of the frustration away.

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 06:30 KilrathiAce

I have seen many screenshots of this game and all I have to say wow, graphics are terrible lol, damn nintendo 64 could run this game easily. Come on, put some damn development into how the game actually looks.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 05:53 xXBatmanXx

Part of the fun was taking what you learned from your previous run and using that to plot a better course and get better at the game.

EXACTLY!
Which is why you can't get to the top level on 1 playthrough.

Died again tonight after killing another 1000 zombies and completing 3 "quests" without saving. How I felt right there is how I never wanna feel when doing something that's supposed to be fun. And all because of some fucking freakshows with sniper-rifles in the park and I had a mermaid to carry.

Sorry - but that just makes me want to play the game more! I mean shit - I never beat some NES games cause of how hard they were - but I never stopped trying! How many times did you play through Castlevania? sheesh. I STILL can't beat it - I watched a buddy do it last year on my DS. Ghost n Goblins anyone? This to me is great gaming. In fact, I have been buying some of those games again on XBOX, I play Contra now just as much as I did then!!!! Don't even get me started on games like Wizards and Warriors, Kid Nikki, Rush n Attack, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout (never beat Mike), and the list of hundreds that were great games that were damn near impossible. When a game makes you curse out loud, throw your controller, and walk away......THAT IS A WELL MADE GAME!

The problem is intensified because all the bosses in both DR1 and 2 require you to know the "trick" behind beating them, usually stunning them by dodging a specific attack, taking advantage of an item in the immediate surrounding or attacking them in a very specific manner.

Oh, so no more mindless game playing? I am all for it! A HARD game! SWEET!!! BRING IT ON! Going to grab it today - have the next 3 days off to waste away!

Good post Vulkan - from playing the firstone, I learned very early on that you MUST have quickstep with you at all time along with something that will heal you.

Well...although I am still on the fence - I will probably end up buyng it for both systems - I am willing to support them anyway. Shit, I bought 3 Witchers and 3 Saints Row 2 (1 xbox and 2 pc for co-op). I give credit and money where it is due.

Good posts everyone - keep em coming!

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 01:50 Jerykk

I use mine all the time for games like Batman AA, Assassin's Vreed, Mirror's Edge etc, anything more suited for a console controller then a mouse/keyboard (Just Cause 2 as well).

What? Mirror's Edge plays much better with M/KB than with a gamepad. In fact, given the design of the time trials, it almost feels like the game were designed for M/KB because I honestly have no idea how you could get 3 stars on the time trials with a gamepad.

Just Cause 2 also plays better with M/KB, since you have to aim.

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 29, 2010, 00:03 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 11:22:
Bunch of little girls ITT Bawling There's a trainer out that can freeze/rewind time and give you unlimited durability if you really insist on playing the game like a nancy

Call me Nancy, 'cause I'm with Creston. If/when I get around to buying this, you can bet I'll be using said trainer.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 12:58:
And remember? Bowser took 5-6 fireballs - I mean really? What turtle/snake/ape can take that many fireballs!!!!!!

Let this game be known as the first one that "The Bowser Defense" was used in defense of!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 23:03 Bumpy

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 20:36:

If only there were more toilets and weren't that tedious to get to.

I'm officially done with this game (deleted it from my computer). It was fun (and frustrating) while it lasted -- which was truly like butter spread over too much bread, since there's little else to play these days.

Just get the trainer, it allows save and load anywhere.

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 20:36 Eldaron Imotholin

If only there were more toilets and weren't that tedious to get to.

I'm officially done with this game (deleted it from my computer). It was fun (and frustrating) while it lasted -- which was truly like butter spread over too much bread, since there's little else to play these days.

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 19:24 The Half Elf

Dev wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 17:31:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 17:19:
Dev wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 15:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 15:42:
Dev wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 15:32:
Oh hey, does the PC version support xbox 360 USB controller? In case I dont like the KB/M?
yes it does, however the wireless controllers are having some issues, but wired works fine
I specifically hunted down a WIRED xbox 360 controller last year, so that it would plug into the computer with ease.

Go to Gamestop and get a wired 360 gamestop controller. Works like a charm with Microsoft's drivers.
He said he checked in "stores" already, so presumably that means things like gamestop and futureshop (since he's in canada). And thats exactly what we were talking about. We both have a WIRED controller, he just wants a new one since his is giving out.

Yep go to any gamestop and buy their brand of 360 wired controller. Think it was 20 bucks US, and just plug it in, download the drivers from microsoft and off you go

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Rising 2 Sep 28, 2010, 18:59 Vulkan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 15:29:
especially when you engage a new "quest" and you realize you've just started another bossfight.

This was a problem with the first game too, you never knew what you were going to get into the first time you received a scoop. You go for it anyway and end up getting slaughtered by a boss because you were only carrying a pistol with one bullet in it or something.

The problem is intensified because all the bosses in both DR1 and 2 require you to know the "trick" behind beating them, usually stunning them by dodging a specific attack, taking advantage of an item in the immediate surrounding or attacking them in a very specific manner. And of course the game never really throws you any hints on what this weakness is so most players just end up helplessly getting their asses kicked until they either finally wise up on what they're supposed to be doing or exploit one of the many cheap tactics available.

Might as well just tell you now and save you the grief later: Make 2 painkillers (2 of the same type of alcohol in a blender), make a quickstep (2 milks at any blender), make knifed gloves (boxing gloves + bowie knife) and get the health 1 magazine (It's at a small kiosk after leaving the safe house), this is your basic boss killing equipment for when you don't know a boss' weakness, take the painkiller and quickstep right away after starting a boss fight and wail away with the knife gloves, take the second painkiller as soon as your health drops down to a dangerous level.

Thankfully, most of the boss fights you can simply walk away from and you won't be directly penalized plot-wise, I think only 3 of the boss fights in the game are 100% necessary to complete in order to get the best ending. Everything else you can start and walk away if you're not feeling ready for to it.

Bosses will always be the bane of most players when it comes to Capcom games it seems.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2010, 19:04.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo